Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
As I have said on other posts I would rather be a dissident in Israel than Iran, Saudi Arabia, Egypt or most other countries in the Middle East. That doesn't mean that Israel is a liberal democracy. It has liberal democratic forms (and in some respects an effective and independent press and judiciary) but it is an apartheid state that systematically discriminates against its Arab minority, is stealing Arab land in the West Bank and East Jerusalem (colonial settler regime) to ensure the prospect of a two state solution to the conflict becomes impossible, and it maintains a stranglehold on Gaza (with the help of Egypt) which makes it one massive concentration camp (like the British in South Africa towards the end of the Boer War). That is what I think and have said consistently in all these threads.

Now explain to me why you think a thread about the Israeli political system (started by your mate W-B) should be discussing other Middle Eastern countries?

Israel has been the focal point of Middle Eastern conflict for almost three generations. It is a strategic ally of our government and the USA. It is a rogue nuclear power. It is in breach of a load of UN resolutions and international law but constantly protected and given cover in the Security Council (always by the USA and often by the UK and France). It has large 'Friends Of' groups in our Parliament in both major parties that is supported by its' London embassy and appears to have subverted our own liberal democracy on a regular basis. That profile is unique and doesn't apply to any other country in the world so it should be a matter of concern, not an excuse for another bout of deflection. OK?
Nope still don't get it your very eloquent and description of your dislike of Israel , but never call to account wuth the same enthusiasm the attrocities carried out by other nasty barbaric regimes such as Syria and Iran in that area, very confusing indeed.

Here's a thought if one had choose to fly and stay into either Syria,Iran or Israel, which one would you feel safer in.