+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: GLAMMY

[QUOTE=jeepster;4741913]Nice to think they are finding some kind of form.[/QUOTE

Shame about the bowling.. We went to the corresponding game two years ago when Darren Stevens got a century. He has done it again today. He is 41!

[QUOTE=Pearcey3;4741935]
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Nice to think they are finding some kind of form.[/QUOTE

Shame about the bowling.. We went to the corresponding game two years ago when Darren Stevens got a century. He has done it again today. He is 41!
    Just out for 147 off 67 balls, what an indictment it is of the England selectors that Stevens has not played senior international cricket at any level.

[QUOTE=the other bob wilson;4741937]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post

Just out for 147 off 67 balls, what an indictment it is of the England selectors that Stevens has not played senior international cricket at any level.
    Go back to our sides 10/12 years ago. Where'd he have fitted in exactly? Flintoff was always the top dog.

Stevens at our place on Friday was a nightmare with the ball, forever been a thorn in our side

[QUOTE=Alex!;4742021]
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Go back to our sides 10/12 years ago. Where'd he have fitted in exactly? Flintoff was always the top dog.

Stevens at our place on Friday was a nightmare with the ball, forever been a thorn in our side
    Flintoff missed plenty of matches through injury during his career - I think Stevens could have played then.

I've seen a proper all rounder being defined as someone who is good enough to get into a team as a batter and bowler on merit. Throughout most of Stevens' career, I've tended to think that he wasn't good enough at the latter to fulfill that criteria, but he's made me change my mind in recent years and you only have to look at his record with Kent lately to see that he is in their best two or three bowlers.

In test cricket, I'd still doubt that Stevens could ever have been anything other than a fourth, or even fifth seamer, but, apart from Botham, Flintoff and Stokes I cannot think of other England all rounders who have fulfilled that good enough to get in as a batsman and bowler criteria in my lifetime and I can certainly think of worse players than Stevens who have won test caps for England as all rounders (e.g. Ian Greig, Chris Cowdrey, David Capel, Adam Hollioake).

It's in one day cricket though that I feel Stevens has been particularly hard done by - I'd say there's even a case for picking him in the fifty and twenty over teams now.