+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's the striker ?

Who's the striker ?

In a typically long winded and generally meaningless WOL article about CCFC transfers they chuck in near the end that the Club says that it's in advanced talks for a striker, and have been since before WBA enquired about Ken.

It goes on to say that there will be an announcement soon, but that all the ones being associated with us in the press are wrong and they've denied interest in any of them.

Who can this man of mystery be if it's true ?

I'd like it to be Neal Maupay, ( unless he's already been snapped up), and I've also suggested Niasse, although that didn't seem like a popular idea.

I don't know and nor does anyone else but it'd be fun to guess , and see whether anyone gets it right.
    Last edited by RonnieBird; 18-07-19 at 21:50. Reason: Error

Re: Who's the striker ?

I should imagine Scott Hogan will be surplus requirements at Aston Villa.

I've heard it's Phil Stant. He's experienced and fits the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    I've heard it's Phil Stant. He's experienced and fits the bill.
    I’m disappointed that Ken is likely to be leaving. However it does give the club a financial opportunity to get in a player with a proven goal scoring record. I only hope it’s someone with a bit of pace and strength and not another Madine part 2, we’ve been down that road and it has failed.

Truthfully I don’t really trust Warnock with signing strikers. Through his own admission it’s his Achilles heel.

Also I hope we manage to get a winger to replace Kadeem. Perhaps a bench winger, be delighted with Lowe.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I’m disappointed that Ken is likely to be leaving. However it does give the club a financial opportunity to get in a player with a proven goal scoring record. I only hope it’s someone with a bit of pace and strength and not another Madine part 2, we’ve been down that road and it has failed.

Truthfully I don’t really trust Warnock with signing strikers. Through his own admission it’s his Achilles heel.

Also I hope we manage to get a winger to replace Kadeem. Perhaps a bench winger, be delighted with Lowe.
    Don't know about the financial opportunity in this market.

If Ken is worth 8m and isn't a great goalscorer then I'm not sure how much one would cost but also we aren't getting probably even half that upfront.

That's not to say we can't get one in or won't get lucky but I don't think it will be because we received this particular fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    I should imagine Scott Hogan will be surplus requirements at Aston Villa.
    That's a good shout

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    In a typically long winded and generally meaningless WOL article about CCFC transfers they chuck in near the end that the Club says that it's in advanced talks for a striker, and have been since before WBA enquired about Ken.

It goes on to say that there will be an announcement soon, but that all the ones being associated with us in the press are wrong and they've denied interest in any of them.

I'd like it to be Neal Maupay, ( unless he's already been snapped up), and I've also suggested Niasse, although that didn't seem like a popular idea.

I don't know and nor does anyone else but it'd be fun to guess , and see whether anyone gets it right.
    Maupay will be going for close to £20mill

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post

Do you have a link to the WOL article I cannot seem to find it, cheers

It's Bogle he scored in the early hours of this morning ( and it wasn't in a night club)

Andy Carroll, seems to be gathering traction . We have a rep for buying crocks

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    That's a good shout
    He's scored 8 goals in 2 years. Please, please, please no.

Quote Originally Posted by dicey1966 View Post
    Andy Carroll, seems to be gathering traction . We have a rep for buying crocks

Fortunately we couldn"t afford his wages/he wouldn"t accept the wages we would be willing to pay

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    Fortunately we couldn"t afford his wages/he wouldn"t accept the wages we would be willing to pay
    I never understand why people say this about players who are out of contract. He was supposedly on £80k a week at West Ham but he's currently unemployed. Wherever he plays this season, hopefully not Cardiff, he'll be on a lot less.

Because he won"t accept £10k a week.

Andy Carroll had questionable motivation when he was up.and coming and at his peak. No way has he got any motivation now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Blue View Post
    I never understand why people say this about players who are out of contract. He was supposedly on £80k a week at West Ham but he's currently unemployed. Wherever he plays this season, hopefully not Cardiff, he'll be on a lot less.
    If a player thinks he can earn 50k, he won't take a contract on 20k because that will make it less likely he'll get back to the 50k mark in the future. That's why some players are free agents for longer than you expect. We 100% won't be able to afford Carroll's wage demands either, nor would he want to come here.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Andy Carroll had questionable motivation when he was up.and coming and at his peak. No way has he got any motivation now.
    And certainly not if he came to us. Would be a disastrous signing and you'd have to be stupid to sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    And certainly not if he came to us. Would be a disastrous signing and you'd have to be stupid to sign him.
    We don't need a robbie fowler

International

[QUOTE=Trigger;4988116]Don't know about the financial opportunity in this market.

If Ken is worth 8m and isn't a great goalscorer then I'm not sure how much one would cost but also we aren't getting probably even half that upfront.

That's not to say we can't get one in or won't get lucky but I don't think it will be because we received this particular fee.[/QUOTE

But Shirley we would only be paying a similar amount up front for whoever we get. So its swings and roundabouts

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    If a player thinks he can earn 50k, he won't take a contract on 20k because that will make it less likely he'll get back to the 50k mark in the future. That's why some players are free agents for longer than you expect. We 100% won't be able to afford Carroll's wage demands either, nor would he want to come here.
    They also know that clubs get desperate when the transfer window is about to shut.

Crouch & Carroll up front :)

I'm not sure whether they'd get £20m for Maupay, but he'd be worth a big fee

Sala would have cost us 15 million when we were in the premier league & looked like he would have scored goals at that level (obviously we will never know) so there are strikers about that we could afford although probably they would need to come from abroad.
    If our scouting is any good I would have thought that well under 15 million would get us someone who could score at championship level.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He's scored 8 goals in 2 years. Please, please, please no.
    He's only played about 24 games worth of 90 minutes in those 2 years, so 8 goals isn't that terrible. Would be 15 across a 46 game season

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    He's only played about 24 games worth of 90 minutes in those 2 years, so 8 goals isn't that terrible. Would be 15 across a 46 game season
    If my aunty had wheels, she'd be a bicycle. He's not good enough, is on about 40k a week and has an injury record that makes Jack Wilshere's look good. No, no, no!