+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Malky Mackay's emotional Cardiff City admission...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Malky Mackay's emotional Cardiff City admission...

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    Much like the rebrand this has been debated thousand of times and neither side are going to change their mind now.

Personally I didn't like the bloke, or his football and think we were going down with or without him in charge. We were dropping like a stone and IMO the squad wasn't good enough when he had been given the funds to give us more than a good chance of ensuring it was good enough.

He's clearly trying to put himself in the shop window again and still playing some of our fans like a fiddle.

Perhaps he can come back and play Santa in this years Xmas party seeing as Trollope is only tall enough to play an elf.
    You say we were dropping like a stone when Mackay left, but it's a matter of fact that, in his penultimate home match in charge, we won exactly the sort of fixture that was going to define whether we stayed up or went down.

I should have added in my first message that it is a fact that Mackay admitted to sending dubious e-mails which reflected him in a very poor light, he also made some signings which were universally condemned - it's very hard to defend him on those two fronts, but, speaking for myself, his record on purely footballing grounds was easily good enough for him to have been given the rest of the season to try and keep us clear from the drop.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You say we were dropping like a stone when Mackay left, but it's a matter of fact that, in his penultimate home match in charge, we won exactly the sort of fixture that was going to define whether we stayed up or went down.

I should have added in my first message that it is a fact that Mackay admitted to sending dubious e-mails which reflected him in a very poor light, he also made some signings which were universally condemned - it's very hard to defend him on those two fronts, but, speaking for myself, his record on purely footballing grounds was easily good enough for him to have been given the rest of the season to try and keep us clear from the drop.
    Hindsight ! At the time, we all felt the squad just wasn't good enough. OGS has said that the players kept telling him they didn't think they were good enough - they knew it. What the question should perhaps be, is if Mackay and his buddy had brought in players who he thought could improve the squad - rather than for more dubious reasons, we may have had a decent chance...

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    What the question should perhaps be, is if Mackay and his buddy had brought in players who he thought could improve the squad - rather than for more dubious reasons, we may have had a decent chance...
    Not sure what this is supposed to mean.

Its hard to argue that MM wasnt a good manager for us because his achievements were greater than anything that went before that.

However he had an incredible budget to work with, and even in the championship its hard to argue that he did the best with this budget, there were always player brought in on inflated fees, that never went on to justify those figures.

His actions while in charge of the club sours his time in charge, and for me personally i'll never look at his time here with a fondness, and for many reasons i prefer DJ spell here over his.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Its hard to argue that MM wasnt a good manager for us because his achievements were greater than anything that went before that.

However he had an incredible budget to work with, and even in the championship its hard to argue that he did the best with this budget, there were always player brought in on inflated fees, that never went on to justify those figures.

His actions while in charge of the club sours his time in charge, and for me personally i'll never look at his time here with a fondness, and for many reasons i prefer DJ spell here over his.
    We can all think of examples of players brought in on inflated fees that never went on to justify those figures after we got promoted, but I'm struggling to think of many who'd qualify for that description that Mackay bought while in the Championship.

We can all think of examples of players brought in on inflated fees that never went on to justify those figures after we got promoted, but I'm struggling to think of many who'd qualify for that description that Mackay bought while in the Championship.
    Nicky Maynard was a massive fee at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Nicky Maynard was a massive fee at the time.
    Who got very badly injured in his third match for us - I agree that there was an element of risk in the signing because Maynard had been out with a long term injury before, but he'd come back well from that and I don't see it's fair to blame Mackay for him getting an injury, which he never appears to have fully recovered from, very early in his Cardiff career.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Hindsight ! At the time, we all felt the squad just wasn't good enough. OGS has said that the players kept telling him they didn't think they were good enough - they knew it. What the question should perhaps be, is if Mackay and his buddy had brought in players who he thought could improve the squad - rather than for more dubious reasons, we may have had a decent chance...
    I'm giving the occasional opinion yes, but I'm trying to stick to facts and am baffled by what the word "Hindsight" in your message signifies - all you have done is post opinions and make accusations which have been investigated and had no action taken on them.

I'm giving the occasional opinion yes, but I'm trying to stick to facts and am baffled by what the word "Hindsight" in your message signifies - all you have done is post opinions and make accusations which have been investigated and had no action taken on them.
    Your dealing in some facts with a lot of opinion. Just because we beat Swansea and West Brom in very scrappy low quality football matches, which quite frankly could have gone either way, it's not an indication we would have won all of our home games against the other lower half of the table sides.

However like I said it's been debated a thousand times or more and no ones going to change their opinion now so it's as pointless a debate as the rebrand.

For that reason I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    Your dealing in some facts with a lot of opinion. Just because we beat Swansea and West Brom in very scrappy low quality football matches, which quite frankly could have gone either way, it's not an indication we would have won all of our home games against the other lower half of the table sides.

However like I said it's been debated a thousand times or more and no ones going to change their opinion now so it's as pointless a debate as the rebrand.

For that reason I'm out.
    I don't think anybody would suggest we would have won them all, but it's clear that the majority of games we would have considered 'winnable' before the season started were still to come when Malky left. I don't think anybody could really disagree with that.

By 'hindsight' I mean that - like all clubs in City's position at the time - you don't know whether sticking or twisting re. the manager is going to get you club out of trouble. The 'accusations' is simply that Mackay and his assistant were given 100% control over transfers and may have picked those players whose agents were 'flexible' re. arrangements for signing on fees. It wouldn't be the 1st time this had happened.

As to whether MM was a good manager , his record speaks for himself. But to say he had a lot of time for people at the club stinks of hypocrisy..