Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
After my father died in 1991, my mother had a rough time of it for a year or two, but was more like her old self by the summer of 93 and got quite into Glamorgan (mainly because Viv Richards was playing for us). Nevertheless, it came as a real surprise to me when I casually mentioned that I was going to the cricket the next day and she asked if she could come along too. So it was, she was thrilled to see Viv and Adrian Dale bat for most of that first day against Middlesex and ,if anything, she enjoyed her visit to Abergavenny to watch us against Gloucestershire I think it was a few weeks later even more.

I only went to the first day of the Middlesex match, but I can remember meeting up with some people who had been to the third day who were saying how they had been stood by the pavilion at the end of play shouting at Mike Gatting off for killing the game by batting on so long in Middlesex's first innings - there aren't many teams that could have made Gatting look a tactical genius on the fourth day, but Glamorgan managed it .
As a kid we used to holiday in Port Eynon on the Gower,mainly because Glamorgan would Usually be playing at St Helens (the real home of Glamorgan cricket) while we were there. As it turned out in the summer of 64 Australia were the opponents,as an eight year old l can’t remember anything that happened on the pitch that day ,but still remember the singing and the Australian captain saying in his speech to the crowd after the game ok we’ve lost to Glamorgan what’s new(which l think is the coolest response to defeat I’ve ever heard) and asking the crowd to sing the anthem,a memory that will will stay with me forever.