Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin

Re: Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Bothroyd is the best striker we’ve had in decades
    Agree. Best striker ive seen for us.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    Bothroyd was a better player than all of them. Maybe barring peak Earnie.
    That’s your opinion mate. That’s what this forum is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Bothroyd was miles better than Earnie.
    Better footballer, not a better goalscorer. Suppose it depends on what you want in a player. Could be argued that Bothroyd's ability to bring others into play was worth another ten goals a season, where as Earnie couldn't do that. If i had to make a call on which one i'd have at Championship level then i'd have to consider what style we play and who the manger was. Under Warnock i reckon that i'd pipe for Earnie.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    For starters, I’m not into this “all round” nonsense when it comes to strikers.
    Ernie, Dale, Chopra, McCormack,Jimmy Floydand Dave Phillips will stick in my memory a lot longer than Bothroyd.
    Carl Dale better than Jay Bothroyd? Hahahahaha. Behave yourself.

Jimmy Floyd was better. When he was with Leeds. He certainly wasn’t better than Bothroyd in a City jersey. Same goes for Robbie Fowler.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Better footballer, not a better goalscorer. Suppose it depends on what you want in a player. Could be argued that Bothroyd's ability to bring others into play was worth another ten goals a season, where as Earnie couldn't do that. If i had to make a call on which one i'd have at Championship level then i'd have to consider what style we play and who the manger was. Under Warnock i reckon that i'd pipe for Earnie.
    Warnock plays with one up top on his own and smashes the ball to him from 50 yards. Bothroyd all day long under Warnock. Earnie world get murdered playing in a Warnock team.

Earnie needs to play off a target man, would have been an ideal partnership playing with Bothroyd at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I think you've crammed in examples to make your point whether they are accurate or not. McPhail may have been judged far too harshly before news of his health condition broke but cannot remember Gavin Rae being supported that keenly, Peter Whittingham was definitely favoured over Don Cowie, and Alex Revell was never a fan favourite but Kenwynne Jones got his name sung much more than most at the time. Arguably, we should favour Paterson over Tomlin (hasn't done anything yet) and Reid (just a bad fit for this team and made it known when trying to engineer a move away) based on their contributions to the side alone.

Considering how fans took to Camarasa and have taken to Tomlin this year I'm not sure it's accurate to say we totally favour effort over skill. I think what gets these players support is that they look like they care whereas a player like Bacuna sometimes looks far too relaxed and is judged too harshly for this reason, although Gavin Whyte clearly cares and is the other player getting criticised far too harshly also.

It's far too simple to say it's activity over skills for City fans. I think it's seeing players care that gets support and it's just easier to see that with those maximising their limited talents over those who aren't or whose talents are harder to see by the average football fan - at least the average football fan before technology and better punditry made us more aware of what skill and tactics are.
    It’s not too simple at all. I’ve supported City long enough to know what the majority of our fan base are like.

Mcphail and Whittingham were constantly a target for the boo boys. Whittingham got booed by our own fans in the Premier League ffs. He was the one player who did the most to get us out of the championship, providing us with some of the most magical moments of the last 20 years and that’s the way he was treated.

Every game you’d have some idiot screaming at him to run around and “get stuck in” when that wasn’t his game. If he could get around the pitch like Roy Keane putting tackles in to go with that wand of a left foot he would have been playing Champions League ffs. He was a championship player because he had flaws.

Yet players who run around getting stuck in but couldn’t do what the likes of Whitts and Mcphail could do would never get screamed at because they can’t split a defence, or stick a 30 yard free kick on the top corner because “Oh, at least he’s putting a shift in”.

Kenwynne Jones was always called lazy, and he was, but if he wasnt lazy he wouldn’t have been in the championship!!!! I remember Slade dropped KJ for Alex Revell and our fans clapping like demented seals because Revell was chasing down a defence who just knocked the ball with ease around the idiot. He didn’t even get close to intercepting it but our fans were lapping it up like he’s scored a goal.

“That’s what Revell gives you that Jones doesnt. You wouldn’t see Kenwynne doing that”.

Dearie ****ing me. No KJ would preserve what little energy he had for something more meaningful than chasing lost causes you’re never going to win.

Footballs moved on. They are paid tens of thousands a week, even at Championship level, and I expect to see a bit more than sweat and determination.

If I want to just see effort over quality I’ll go and watch a Welsh league game. At this level I want to see players do things I can’t do myself and get me on the edge of my seat.

You only have to read this forum to know that I am in the minority. And it’s the same in all forums and other social media platforms. Comments like “how can you watch that tippy tappy football?”.

What would you rather watch balls just getting hooded out from our goal kick or defence to a goal kick to the opposition? Or just watch the ball in the air for most of the game whilst players scrap for the 2nd balls? Not my idea of football I’m afraid.

Dinosaurs. Just like our manager.

Quote Originally Posted by surge
    Gavin Whyte clearly cares and is the other player getting criticised far too harshly also.

Gavin Whyte is getting criticised because he gives the ball away cheaply. A lot. Just because he chases back hard to win it back shouldn’t be seen as a positive in my opinion because he shouldn’t have lost the ball so cheaply in the first place!!!

Also, hes not exactly dribbling past fullbacks and getting crosses in. The times he hasn’t wasted possession are mainly him passing it back to the full back. Hasn’t impressed me at all. Hopefully room for improvement but the decision to release Harris and pay a fee for Whyte is looking a poor one at the moment. Obviously that’s with the benefit of hindsight but Whyte is looking like a player struggling with the step up to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Gavin Whyte is getting criticised because he gives the ball away cheaply. A lot. Just because he chases back hard to win it back shouldn’t be seen as a positive in my opinion because he shouldn’t have lost the ball so cheaply in the first place!!!

Also, hes not exactly dribbling past fullbacks and getting crosses in. The times he hasn’t wasted possession are mainly him passing it back to the full back. Hasn’t impressed me at all. Hopefully room for improvement but the decision to release Harris and pay a fee for Whyte is looking a poor one at the moment. Obviously that’s with the benefit of hindsight but Whyte is looking like a player struggling with the step up to the next level.

Nothing a bit of time won't fix I hope.

Warnock plays with one up top on his own and smashes the ball to him from 50 yards. Bothroyd all day long under Warnock. Earnie world get murdered playing in a Warnock team.

Earnie needs to play off a target man, would have been an ideal partnership playing with Bothroyd at this level.
    I only went for Earnie as he was better at scoring goals from nothing or tiny pockets of space and he was a better finisher. Bothroyd is the better footballer by a mile and would cope much better with Warnocks long ball shit although i'm not sure even he would have coped in this team. You don't think Warnock would've gone route 1 with Earnie up top? please god no....

It was his fault for the Hudds goal as well, let his player turn when all he had to do was keep him with his back to goal.

It was his fault for the Hudds goal as well, let his player turn when all he had to do was keep him with his back to goal.
    It would have been his fault had they equalised in the last minute too.

It’s the last minute of injury time and he went bombing past bogle instead of holding his position. Left Peltier massively exposed and they should have scored.

I only went for Earnie as he was better at scoring goals from nothing or tiny pockets of space and he was a better finisher. Bothroyd is the better footballer by a mile and would cope much better with Warnocks long ball shit although i'm not sure even he would have coped in this team. You don't think Warnock would've gone route 1 with Earnie up top? please god no....
    I don’t think Earnie would be anywhere near a Warnock team. He doesn’t exactly fit the profile of a Warnock player.

I really don't see what Whyte brings apart from "effort" which should be the minimum expected, Harris could at least beat his man, I can't recall Whyte beating a full back at any point so far

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I really don't see what Whyte brings apart from "effort" which should be the minimum expected, Harris could at least beat his man, I can't recall Whyte beating a full back at any point so far
    Harris was a good crosser of the ball as well, could sit them up to the far post. He always gave a fullback something to think about, the only fullback that really had his number was Ryan Fredericks, although he was quicker than any of our wingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Agree. Best striker ive seen for us.
    Better than Bellamy?

For starters, I’m not into this “all round” nonsense when it comes to strikers.
    Ernie, Dale, Chopra, McCormack,Jimmy Floydand Dave Phillips will stick in my memory a lot longer than Bothroyd.
    Meant Dave Bennett 🤪

I remember Slade dropped KJ for Alex Revell and our fans clapping like demented seals because Revell was chasing down a defence who just knocked the ball with ease around the idiot. He didn’t even get close to intercepting it but our fans were lapping it up like he’s scored a goal.

“That’s what Revell gives you that Jones doesnt. You wouldn’t see Kenwynne doing that”.

I remember that. I thought I was in Pamplona for a few minutes for the bullfighting!

I agree 100% that Bothroyd was the best striker I've seen af this club.

On his day he could have been a top top striker. The problem with him was you'd know after 5 minutes which Bothroyd was on the pitch and if it was "can't be arsed Bothroyd" you may as well take him off now.

If Bothroyd was on his game we were pretty much guaranteed to win!

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post

On his day he could have been a top top striker. The problem with him was you'd know after 5 minutes which Bothroyd was on the pitch and if it was "can't be arsed Bothroyd" you may as well take him off now.

Story of his career,not just with us.

The way the game is evolving now how many teams play with strikers who "hold the ball up" or "fetch other players in to the game"?

Man United have just got rid of their target man in Lukaku, Manchester City play with Aguero or Jesus, Liverpool have Firmino and though he's brilliant in involving himself in the build up he certainly isn't a target man as he's so interchangeable.
    Arsenal don't play with target men and I'd even say it was a stretch to say Harry Kane is.
    The closest to a target man is Giroud at Chelsea.

Most of the Spanish teams don't play with target men and there is even a marked difference at Athletico this season.

Ajax football was so successful last season because all their forwards looked to play in between the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post

Where as with the likes of Earnie, Dale etc you knew what you were getting every game.
    A strikers main job is to put the ball in the net.
    If a poll was done know asking all city fans who was the best striker we’ve had, I’d wager Bothroyd would be nowhere near the top.
    As I’ve said though, it’s all about opinions.

I don’t think Earnie would be anywhere near a Warnock team. He doesn’t exactly fit the profile of a Warnock player.
    I think it was Bryan Robson wouldn't play Earnie because he wouldn't put the hard miles in.
    Warnock would have exiled him to obscurity.

Going back to Tomlin there seems to be a mixed reaction on here , on Saturday he was loudly cheered for the shift he put in.
    On Wednesday he got a standing ovation from those round me . The vast majority appear to appreciate he has a bit of football about him.

A strikers main job is to put the ball in the net.
    That's not necessarily true though. Firmino is not an out an out goalscorer and he is striker for probably the 2nd best team around.

When we played with Bothroyd we had goals all over the pitch but he was the focal point of our team, to the point that if he wasn't playing or couldn't be arsed we didn't know how to adapt. (See Blackpool play off final)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I think it was Bryan Robson wouldn't play Earnie because he wouldn't put the hard miles in.
    Warnock would have exiled him to obscurity.
    Yet under Dave Jones, we played some of the classiest football I’ve ever seen down the City, but he got it tight on here for being a nearly man and the team bottling it.
    Warnocks now being described as a dinosaur after getting us promoted in his 1st season.
    You can’t win on here 😂