+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: It feels inevitable we are going to fall short

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: It feels inevitable we are going to fall short

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    In fact, Villa have conceded just six more goals than City.
    Indeed. If you'd seen Villa games you'd also have seen at times they've ridden their luck. We are far, far more solid at the back than Villa; get Terry turned to face his own goal and they are in trouble.

We can only hope Neil Taylor plays, switch Hoilett to his side and enjoy the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Indeed. If you'd seen Villa games you'd also have seen at times they've ridden their luck. We are far, far more solid at the back than Villa; get Terry turned to face his own goal and they are in trouble.
    I've seen plenty of Villa games and plenty of City games this season. Both have ridden their luck on numerous occasions. The margins are fine, as the stats suggest.

I've seen plenty of Villa games and plenty of City games this season. Both have ridden their luck on numerous occasions. The margins are fine, as the stats suggest.
    Bamba/Morrison as a central pairing are way more solid than Terry/Chester. Bennett is a far better defender than Taylor.

Fine margins indeed.

Bamba/Morrison as a central pairing are way more solid than Terry/Chester. Bennett is a far better defender than Taylor.
    If what you say is true, how would you account for the fact that Villa have kept more clean sheets than City so far this season?

If what you say is true, how would you account for the fact that Villa have kept more clean sheets than City so far this season?
    Did you see the Villa game on tv on Saturday ?. Their defence was all over the place. They have only kept one more clean sheet than us anyway and have played an extra game, so no difference really.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Did you see the Villa game on tv on Saturday ?. Their defence was all over the place. They have only kept one more clean sheet than us anyway and have played an extra game, so no difference really.
    Yes, I did indeed.

You suggest there is "no difference really" between the two defences, the other fella reckons City are "far, far more solid at the back than Villa."

I'm with you. I think the difference between two defences is marginal at best.

It's called consistency.

They've kept more clean sheets yet conceded more, ergo even you could work out that means their defence is either good or shocking. We've had few shocking defensive performances this season.

It's called consistency. They've kept more clean sheets yet conceded more, ergo even you could work out that means their defence is either good or shocking. We've had few shocking defensive performances this season.

Simple as that, is it? Good or shocking. No middle ground.

I watched a mediocre Sheffield side take City's defence apart on several occasions on Monday night. If their finishing had been anything other than powderpuff, they'd have scored three or four. Yesterday lunchtime, I watched a talented but hopelessly inconsistent Norwich side score three against Villa, one of which was a world-class long-range strike. Sheffield had 14 shots against City, 6 of which were on target. Norwich had 16 shots against Villa, 6 of which were on target.

As I've said before, the margins are very fine. Even I can work that out.

Simple as that, is it? Good or shocking. No middle ground.

I watched a mediocre Sheffield side take City's defence apart on several occasions on Monday night. If their finishing had been anything other than powderpuff, they'd have scored three or four. Yesterday lunchtime, I watched a talented but hopelessly inconsistent Norwich side score three against Villa, one of which was a world-class long-range strike. Sheffield had 14 shots against City, 6 of which were on target. Norwich had 16 shots against Villa, 6 of which were on target.

As I've said before, the margins are very fine. Even I can work that out.
    The point the ex-fan missed is that of consistency. I know stats are all you have but the clear point, given Villa keeping more clean sheets but conceding more goals is that they either play well... or conceded several goals.

We were poor against Sheffield United, sure. I note that you refer to Sheff Utds powderpuff finishing but conveniently ignore the fact it could have been far, far more as every time they attacked they looked like scoring.

Still, citing by comparing single games is a fair approach I guess.

I'd be interested in seeing the shots against / shots on target stats for us and Villa for the entire season.