+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Guido Burgstaller - what happened at Cardiff?

Guido Burgstaller - what happened at Cardiff?

Very strange.

http://www.insidewelshfootball.co.uk...-cardiff-city/

Bundesliga star opens up on ‘really bad’ treatment at Cardiff City

FC Schalke forward Guido Burgstaller has revealed that he felt he was poorly treated during his time at Cardiff City.

Speaking to German newspaper Sport Bild, Burgstaller said that the club informed him by letter that he was not to play or train with the first team and was made to train with the youth players.

“After four weeks I was not allowed to play, or even to train with the professionals. In the end, I even had to empty my locker in the dressing and move to the amateurs. I have not been guilty of anything. What was really bad: I wasn’t even told why I did not get a chance. I was only informed by letter that I couldn’t train and play.”

The Austrian international joined Cardiff City back in 2014 from Rapid Wien where he scored 24 goals in 85 appearances.

The 28 year-old made just three appearances for Cardiff in the Championship as well as two apperances in the League Cup for the Bluebirds, where he scored once against Coventry.

Upon joining Cardiff City, he stated how happy he was to join the club and was delighted to be given the chance to play in England when speaking to the BBC.

“My decision to join Cardiff City was never in question when the club first contacted me,” said Burgstaller.

“It has always been a dream for me to play in this country.

“I’ve followed Cardiff in the Premier League last season and I’m very proud and honoured to be given the chance to wear the Cardiff City jersey – I’m a big admirer of the passion of the fans.”

Unfortunately for Cardiff City fans, since Burgstaller departed the club in January after his contract was terminated in January and he hasn’t looked back since.

A total of 33 goals in 63 appearances over the course of three seasons at Nurnberg earned him a move to Bundesliga giants FC Schalke back in january, where he has scored eight goals in 15 appearances, including two in the Europa League.

Re: Guido Burgstaller - what happened at Cardiff?

Probably one of two things.

1. He was on big wages and they wanted him gone so forced him out the door.

2 Slade thought he was shit.

Very odd, I don't think this will do us any favours in trying to bring other players in

Thing is, he's one of many not given a chance over the past few years.

Yep very strange.

When he played he was good as well.

He might be a good footballer, but is he any good with a paint brush?

At the time as a club we were going through a really bad period which seemed to have an effect on nearly everything we did as a club. Hopefully those times are over and we can move on to better times.

he say he watched the results of us in the premier last season, and he left in January, is he in a timewarp, or has someone dug this up from a couple of seasons ago
    Last edited by Igovernor; 10-05-17 at 15:30.

Not my fault. OGS didn't play him, Gabby and Young didn't play him, Slade didn't play him. There must be a reason why three sets of managers, including the one that bought him never gave him a go. Maybe he didn't want to be here, or he took time to adapt?

For whatever reason, it didn't work out but it is clearly nobody came out of this well.

Also, he took a while after we released him to find a club, so that may be telling. Either way, he's a very good player now.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    he say he watched the results of us in the premier last season, and he left in January, is he in a timewarp, or has someone dug this up from a couple of seasons ago
    The quote where he said that was taken from an interview when he signed for us.

Poor way to treat a player regardless of wether he was in the plans or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    It's reporting what he said "upon joining the club"

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    It's reporting what he said "upon joining the club"
    Yeah, its badly written, took me three runs at it to fully understand that bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Yeah, its badly written, took me three runs at it to fully understand that bit.
    Yeah, seems to be a mish mash of previous reports

Poor way to treat a player regardless of wether he was in the plans or not.
    Moving you to the youth team isn't as bad as a media campaign where you are compared to a rubbish car. We didn't treat everyone that well during that period.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Probably one of two things.

1. He was on big wages and they wanted him gone so forced him out the door.

2 Slade thought he was shit.
    No 1 , Slade was hired in my view to do a 2 year hatchet job of clearing out ,and keeping us up , job done ,well done Slade objectives achieved, probably picked up a good bonus for delivering them .

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Moving you to the youth team isn't as bad as a media campaign where you are compared to a rubbish car. We didn't treat everyone that well during that period.
    Someone was very guilty of treating players badly. He doesn't even come to the country anymore, and things have improved as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Two wrongs don't make a right

Starts this evening v Ireland

I think it was clear we needed players out of the door and the few times I saw him play he really didn't look that good so he'd have been up the top of my list to 'encourage' to leave too. In fact he looked like a sending off waiting to happen as he was really wound up it seemed when he played.

Sometimes a style or player just doesn't fit at the time. I'm pleased for the lad that he's gone on to have a good career.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Starts this evening v Ireland
    How Guido was he tonight

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    How Guido was he tonight
    Pretty Guido.

Two wrongs don't make a right
    You can't change history either

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN View Post
    You can't change history either
    Unless you are Joe Stalin

Uncle Ted objected to another Burgerstall on Sloper Road and that was it really.