Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
All quite right. Thing is that even if we think strict gun laws would achieve anything in terms of reducing gun crime, ( which I don't think it would in a huge country with so many guns already out there), is that a price worth paying ?
Personally I'd say it's not, and I don't think that some of the people here can understand that lots and lots of Americans would strongly agree with me on that.
It's a very very different country to the UK now, and the gap is getting wider all the time. These people tend to believe in God, distrust politicians and the state, and will fiercely defend their own right to decide what they say and whether they want to own a gun. That's very at odds with the way we carry on these days and the somewhat docile and subservient stance our own youngsters have.
I don't think they can imagine why anyone doesn't want the state, or them , to step in and protect them from themselves.

I think that's very sad because we used to have a great country which produced dynamic individuals, but it's probably gone too far now and there's not much point in denying it.
Conversely, lots and lots of Americans may strongly disagree with you too.