+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wales and England today....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    International

Re: Wales and England today....

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    It was a couple of weeks ago, it wasn’t a huge spike but they did have one and They reacted to it well.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/sout...se-second-wave

They’ve managed the whole thing very well since they had experience with SARS etc. And even they ended up with a jump in infections.
    I think that is the point. There is little that can be done to prevent a second rise in infected people other than maintaining lockdown for ever which is impractical. But if you can have a system and a plan in place to control and track down outbreaks and ring fience it as best you can then the rest of the country might be able to carry on trying to get back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I think that is the point. There is little that can be done to prevent a second rise in infected people other than maintaining lockdown for ever which is impractical.
    Precisely. Our government have made a hopeless mess of dealing with this virus from day one and it's been a national disgrace, but putting that to one side for a minute, the simple fact is that people cannot and will not live in a state of lockdown indefinitely, especially when all of the evidence suggests that a large majority of the population are extremely unlikely to suffer any major ill effects from Covid-19, let alone die from it.

Although cracks of one sort or another began appearing in the lockdown almost from day one, I nevertheless believe that most people have dealt with this situation remarkably well and in good faith. However, having been locked away for almost all of the spring, the population isn't going to accept being locked away for the whole of the summer too, and I don't think that's at all unreasonable.

Whether we'll see a significant second spike in infections and deaths remains to be seen, but I'd be willing to bet that a large majority of the British public would be prepared to take a chance on that right now in a bid to get back to some sort of normality.

The next fortnight will be crucial for the UK, if in England people start dropping like flies after their beach visits etc I’d imagine a tighter lockdown will be enforced. On the other hand if they emerge relatively unscathed a relaxing of conditions may occur. I think the English offering themselves as guinea pigs has been a very noble gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The next fortnight will be crucial for the UK, if in England people start dropping like flies after their beach visits etc I’d imagine a tighter lockdown will be enforced.
    Good luck to them with that. Can you imagine the UK public accepting the idea of going back into some sort of tight lockdown while the rest of Europe continues to ease their restrictions? I can't see it. People had generally been compliant until the last two or three weeks but I think the genie is well and truly out of the bottle now, in England especially.

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Precisely. Our government have made a hopeless mess of dealing with this virus from day one and it's been a national disgrace, but putting that to one side for a minute, the simple fact is that people cannot and will not live in a state of lockdown indefinitely, especially when all of the evidence suggests that a large majority of the population are extremely unlikely to suffer any major ill effects from Covid-19, let alone die from it.

Although cracks of one sort or another began appearing in the lockdown almost from day one, I nevertheless believe that most people have dealt with this situation remarkably well and in good faith. However, having been locked away for almost all of the spring, the population isn't going to accept being locked away for the whole of the summer too, and I don't think that's at all unreasonable.

Whether we'll see a significant second spike in infections and deaths remains to be seen, but I'd be willing to bet that a large majority of the British public would be prepared to take a chance on that right now in a bid to get back to some sort of normality.
    What bothers me is that the Welsh Government is still talking about small cautious steps on Friday, but the next three week extension of the lock-down starts today or the last one ended yesterday and they haven't renewed it. It isn't really clear, they haven't told us one way or the other. If the English side of the border starts to be more relaxed even more than it is now it really will cause problems.