The fallout from the referendum made me so angry. I was on the fence on this issue beforehand, but seeing how irritating the remain side became after was one of the main reasons I stopped using social media.

"If you voted to leave, just unfriend me now! I don't want to speak to you ever again!"
"I'm going to stay off FB for a while. I found out that a close chum of mine voted to leave and I don't know how to handle it"
"Anyone know how to get a Canadian visa? I'm seriously considering emigrating!"

These were just a fraction of the pathetic comments I saw from hyper-sensitive people that probably knew bugger all about the organisation they wanted to preserve and lasted for weeks. I knew only 2 people on my list of friends that openly voted to leave, and our "liberal" mutual friends not even from the UK viciously and spitefully attacked them for it before the referendum results were announced. And before you say it, no, I don't believe for a moment that those that wanted to leave the EU would react in the same way if the result went against them.

You can blame the media all you want, but generally the media I saw was opposed to Brexit (and has been since the referendum). You can blame xenophobia all you want, but that's clutching at straws. I don't believe that 52% of the UK are "racists and xenophobes" as many factions of the media would like you to believe.

That all being said, I'd agree that the people overseeing this come across as clueless. What really shocked me was discovering that Farage and George Galloway are good friends and both campaigned to leave the EU.