+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FGR

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

FGR

Last edited by Forest Green Bluebird; 14-05-17 at 16:02.

Re: FGR

Absolutely brilliant. Lovely club. Went there years ago when Reading met them in a friendly and my lad who was five at the time got to meet Steve Coppell.

Really pleased by this news - I thought Tranmere would win quite easily.

I think they could do quite well in the Football League and would like to see one or two of our youngsters loaned to them rather than go to play on the County's mud heap.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I think they could do quite well in the Football League and would like to see one or two of our youngsters loaned to them rather than go to play on the County's mud heap.
    Apparently County's mud heap is not going to be a mud heap for much longer following the acquisition of NGD & Newport RFC as well as Rodney Parade by the WRU. Investment in the ground and playing surface is very much on the cards.
    Last edited by Nick; 14-05-17 at 16:43.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Apparently County's mud heap is not going to be a mud heap for much longer following the acquisition of NGD & Newport RFC as well as Rodney Parade by the WRU. Investment in the ground and playing surface is very much on the cards.
    Interesting club and owner.
    I see that they are the first ever vegan football club ( if wiki is to be believed) and are almost certainly the smallest place to hoist league football.
    Should we draw them in the cup or they achieve the stated aim of championship football not sure how our focus driving and Clarks meat pie munching support are going to adjust to their environment.
    Great to see a little club win though although that Tramnere Rovers captain looked like a Sunday morning pub player.

Pleased for them. As a veggie def on my to do list.

Until I checked earlier on, I had always wrongly assumed the club was based in Staffordshire. Their ground's called The New Lawn (which gets top marks for blandness), and their Chairman could be easily mistaken for a smackhead. Here he is, Mr Dale Vince.

_94675329_vincee.jpg

Is Nailsworth the smallest town to have a League club? Population 5,800.

Well done to them. For a small club it seems they have a bit of money behind them so might be able to consolidate next season - although this resulted in a rebrand a few years ago, so whether all fans were happy with the way the club has progressed it I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Interesting club and owner.
    I see that they are the first ever vegan football club ( if wiki is to be believed) and are almost certainly the smallest place to hoist league football.
    Should we draw them in the cup or they achieve the stated aim of championship football not sure how our focus driving and Clarks meat pie munching support are going to adjust to their environment.
    Great to see a little club win though although that Tramnere Rovers captain looked like a Sunday morning pub player.
    Cardiff have visited several times over the years for pre-season friendlies, so should be used to the peculiar nature of food served.

Plans to have a new (wooden) stadium built near Eastington Junction 13 on M5.

Potentiallly a new Wigan?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-37862411

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post

Well done to them. For a small club it seems they have a bit of money behind them so might be able to consolidate next season - although this resulted in a rebrand a few years ago, so whether all fans were happy with the way the club has progressed it I'm not sure.
    I don't think many were too bothered by the change from black & white stripes to green and black hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Until I checked earlier on, I had always wrongly assumed the club was based in Staffordshire. Their ground's called The New Lawn (which gets top marks for blandness), and their Chairman could be easily mistaken for a smackhead. Here he is, Mr Dale Vince.

_94675329_vincee.jpg
    Head of Ecotricity ... you can charge your electric car (free for Ecotricity customers) at most service stations.

https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-road
    Last edited by Forest Green Bluebird; 14-05-17 at 18:30.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

During the season FGR beat Tranmere 1-0 away and drew 2-2 at home, so not a huge shock but Tranmere did have the momentum going into the match.

Apparently teams finishing third in the 5th tier have had an uncanny knack of promotion.

Understatement.

Heard on the radio earlier that FGR may be in breach of FFP rules.

To get around this the chairman (allegedly) has released shares in the club and bought them himself.

Whether there is any truth in this rumour, time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Welshman Christian Doidge.

_96052056_doidge.jpg

God, thats a rather large #5

Is it the case that FGR draw their support from the wider Stroud area? Will their proposed relocation to a new stadium many miles from Nailsworth redefine their identity as being "Stroud's team" or are they already considered to be representatives of Stroud?

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    Is it the case that FGR draw their support from the wider Stroud area? Will their proposed relocation to a new stadium many miles from Nailsworth redefine their identity as being "Stroud's team" or are they already considered to be representatives of Stroud?
    Before they gained promotion to the Conference they had a season or two known as Stroud F.C.

Towns and villages in the Stroud Valleys probably provide a sizeable % of support, but I suspect that Nailsworth locals are the majority.

If there is a move to Eastington (10 minutes away), I don't think too many supporters would be bothered. I can't see Dale Vince changing the name to Stroud.

There is no way FGR could go any higher if they did not re-locate. The capacity cannot be increased and the parking situation on match days is dire. Luckily Cardiff and FGR home matches coincide so I am not affected by the occasional gridlocks!

When I first moved to Forest Green (1985) Gloucester City were the highest ranked club in Glos followed by > Cheltenham Town > Forest Green > Shortwood United
    Last edited by Forest Green Bluebird; 14-05-17 at 19:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Before they gained promotion to the Conference they had a season or two known as Stroud F.C.

Towns and villages in the Stroud Valleys probably provide a sizeable % of support, but I suspect that Nailsworth locals are the majority.

If there is a move to Eastington (10 minutes away), I don't think too many supporters would be bothered. I can't see Dale Vince changing the name to Stroud.

There is no way FGR could go any higher if they did not re-locate. The capacity cannot be increased and the parking situation on match days is dire. Luckily Cardiff and FGR home matches coincide so I am not affected by the occasional gridlocks!

When I first moved to Forest Green (1985) Gloucester City were the highest ranked club in Glos followed by > Cheltenham Town > Forest Green > Shortwood United
    I guess Cinderford Town and Cirencester Town would both both be above Shortwood these days?

I guess Cinderford Town and Cirencester Town would both both be above Shortwood these days?
    Just looked it up. You are correct. I thought it would have been the other way round.

Gloucester City are National League (North) ... level 6

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post

Not sure Gloucester have ever been higher up the Leagues than Cheltenham who I first started watching in the 70's. If there were it would have been very brief as Cheltenham have always been higher for as long as I can remember.

A great achievement for Forest 'eat your Greens' Rovers.

A fantastic little club which can hopefully gain more momentum over the next few seasons.

Good on 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Not sure Gloucester have ever been higher up the Leagues than Cheltenham who I first started watching in the 70's. If there were it would have been very brief as Cheltenham have always been higher for as long as I can remember.
    Looking through the stats available online it appears you are right. Cheltenham & Gloucester played in the Southern league together for many years. However there was some huge resentment one season when Gloucester were unable to accept promotion and Cheltenham took their place. I need to check with an ex-colleague who was a director at the club.

Yea ... a great day out & a win at Wembley (a nice treat), 3 time lucky after losing to the Gas & Fish-heads over the last 2 seasons.

I've enjoyed this season mixing up City, FGR & Cinderford games, seeing the extremes. Looking forward to next season and closing out the missing few in the 92 (damn Fleetwood!).

4 Gloucestershire sides in the league for the first time ever, shame one of them is the Wurzles!

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Yea ... a great day out & a win at Wembley (a nice treat), 3 time lucky after losing to the Gas & Fish-heads over the last 2 seasons.

I've enjoyed this season mixing up City, FGR & Cinderford games, seeing the extremes. Looking forward to next season and closing out the missing few in the 92 (damn Fleetwood!).

4 Gloucestershire sides in the league for the first time ever, shame one of them is the Wurzles!
    Oh! derbies against Swindon & Cewnty

Think this is a disgusting practice. All those poor young girls forced into it makes me sick. UKIP right to make a point about it imo