+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: You get what you deserve

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: You get what you deserve

Prevous to no food banks there was no knowledge or facts to how many required thier use, it could be these numbers were always there.

On a personal note I distinctly remember as a child facing the end of the week with very little to eat ,cold with no heating .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Prevous to no food banks there was no knowledge or facts to how many required thier use, it could be these numbers were always there.

On a personal note I distinctly remember as a child facing the end of the week with very little to eat ,cold with no heating .
    I was suggesting the huge increase in food bank demand is merely reflective of the number of outlets dispensing grub.

In 1946 the government of the day introduced Family Allowance (the forerunner to Child Benefit). Suddenly a vast number of parents who had two or more dependent children qualified for a weekly payment to supplement their income, and of course the majority piled in for it despite being able to get by in previous years without it. Another example is Winter Fuel Payment. That didn't exist until 1997... then 12 million (mostly oldies) rushed to get their mitts in the cookie jar. Like I said, freebies have always been incredibly popular.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I was suggesting the huge increase in food bank demand is merely reflective of the number of outlets dispensing grub.

In 1946 the government of the day introduced Family Allowance (the forerunner to Child Benefit). Suddenly a vast number of parents who had two or more dependent children qualified for a weekly payment to supplement their income, and of course the majority piled in for it despite being able to get by in previous years without it. Another example is Winter Fuel Payment. That didn't exist until 1997... then 12 million (mostly oldies) rushed to get their mitts in the cookie jar. Like I said, freebies have always been incredibly popular.
    I don't know how to express how completely far off you are from reality by comparing Winter Fuel Allowance to foodbank usage. It would be funny if it wasn't so depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I don't know how to express how completely far off you are from reality by comparing Winter Fuel Allowance to foodbank usage. It would be funny if it wasn't so depressing.
    Its one of the worst posts I've read on here in a while

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    The point was obvious, I thought. You give stuff away free of charge and there'll be plenty of takers. The BBC ran a story that of the 12 million eligible to collect Winter Fuel Payment just 400 declined. That's a ratio of 1 in every 30,000. I don't blame those for grabbing whatever they can whether needed or not as it's human nature and it's endemic in the UK from the lowest to the very top as HM Elizabeth II bagged £82 million this year making her Britain's largest benefit claimant.

Previous years to 1946... Presumably you're talking about the war years when fathers were away fighting and half the kids from cities were evacuated off to the country.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Previous years to 1946... Presumably you're talking about the war years when fathers were away fighting and half the kids from cities were evacuated off to the country.
    No. I meant any year between 1909 and 1945. 1909 because that was the year the British welfare state begun with the introduction of the State Pension.

No. I meant any year between 1909 and 1945. 1909 because that was the year the British welfare state begun with the introduction of the State Pension.
    Comparing 1946 to any other year is total nonsense. Have you read a history book to see what happened?