+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: European Super League?

European Super League?

Possible or Probable?

How would it look, and if it happened would the Premier League effectively become a version of what The Championship is today?

Re: European Super League?

I would love this to happen, for a multitude of reasons, but mainly that it would make the top division relevant for a whole heap of clubs other than just being there to make up the numbers.

As for a super league I'd have as follows

3 Premier League teams
    3 La Liga
    3 Bundesliga
    3 Italian
    2 French
    1 Portuguese
    1 Russian
    1 Dutch
    1 Belgian
    2 wild card positions

Relegation every other season, with 4 relegation spots. Quite simply, those relegated replaced by the highest ranking teams in their home divisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    I would love this to happen, for a multitude of reasons, but mainly that it would make the top division relevant for a whole heap of clubs other than just being there to make up the numbers.

3 Premier League teams
    3 La Liga
    3 Bundesliga
    3 Italian
    2 French
    1 Portuguese
    1 Russian
    1 Dutch
    1 Belgian
    2 wild card positions

Relegation every other season, with 4 relegation spots. Quite simply, those relegated replaced by the highest ranking teams in their home divisions.
    Would UK teams be allowed in what with trade restrictions etc coming?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post

3 Premier League teams
    3 La Liga
    3 Bundesliga
    3 Italian
    2 French
    1 Portuguese
    1 Russian
    1 Dutch
    1 Belgian
    2 wild card positions

You do turn the top UK league into a glorified version of the championship though don’t you?

Would the money then divert even more to the top European clubs.

If it can be done well, it’s probably a good idea, but done badly it could damage the national leagues across Europe.

How long before you’d have a push for multiple tiers of European leagues?

What role would Champions League etc play?

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    You do turn the top UK league into a glorified version of the championship though don’t you?

Would the money then divert even more to the top European clubs.

If it can be done well, it’s probably a good idea, but done badly it could damage the national leagues across Europe.

How long before you’d have a push for multiple tiers of European leagues?

What role would Champions League etc play?
    Wouldn't mind if it was a glorified championship, you still have 3 of the big six remaining. Would look to end the UCL and UEL and bring in some sort of UCWC back into play, get rid of the league cup whilst we're at it. And restructure anything below the championship into North and South Leagues.

Terrible idea, with the difference in money you wouldn't ever expect the big 3 from Spain or England to get relegated, so the 4 the best team in England will never get to play in it

I'm sick of European club football and internationals.