I just think there is so much crap talked about it being a short career, you've got to look after your family while you can etc. I'm not talking specifically about Hoilett here, I'm talking about the type of player who can expect to earn 20k a week - I'd say you could be a good Championship player and earn that much, so were talking about talented footballers, but nowhere near the best around at what they do. They could rely on earning a million a year for a decade, that should be more than enough to ensure that they never have to work another day in their life if they don't want to after they retire from the game.
The sort of arguments I've seen in this thread justifying the grab everything you can attitude become meaningful if you are on, say, 12k per annum and you get an offer of a pay increase of two thousand pound a year to do a more shitty job with longer hours, but when you are a pro footballer of decent to good quality then you'd have more than enough already if you looked after your money properly.