+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Police State....

Re: Police State....

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Yeah, but he was delivering "essential supplies" apparently. Essential supplies clearly available in Wales not not London I guess - maybe some EU gravy since that family have ridden the gravy train?
    The pathetic man , as a MP should be setting an example not showing off on Twitter, why can't he do the nice thing for his dad quietly without self publicity , who does he think he is a Kardashian , well done south wales police ,fine him , .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It wasn't the Kinnocks was it, they already got form ::

The MP son of*Neil Kinnock, the former Labour leader, has been publicly shamed by police for “non-essential” travel during the coronavirus lockdown after going to celebrate his father’s 78th birthday.

Stephen Kinnock, the MP for Aberavon in South Wales, posted a picture of himself sitting on a chair outside his parents’ London home, adhering to guidelines to stay two metres apart, as they marked the occasion with his wife, the former prime minister of Denmark, Helle Thorning-Schmidt.
    Yeah, but he was delivering "essential supplies" apparently. Essential supplies clearly available in Wales not not London I guess - maybe some EU gravy since that family have ridden the gravy train?
    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    The pathetic man , as a MP should be setting an example not showing off on Twitter, why can't he do the nice thing for his dad quietly without self publicity , who does he think he is a Kardashian , well done south wales police ,fine him , .

Bet you he claimed for fuel/train fare for the jolly jaunt

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Bet you he claimed for fuel/train fare for the jolly jaunt
    indeed

Organ old bean, you are letting yourself down badly in this thread.
    You could quickly redeem yourself with a witty tale of Cowbridge’s smuttiest resident 👍
    Last edited by William Treseder; 31-03-20 at 07:43. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It doesn’t matter where they drove from. Not a jot.
    Lord Sumption, a former Justice of the Supreme Court, told Radio 4's World At One the actions of Derbyshire Police - which also included uploading drone footage of walkers to social media - had "shamed our policing traditions".

"The tradition of policing in this country is that policemen are citizens in uniform, they are not members of a disciplined hierarchy operating just at the government's command," he said.

"The police have no power to enforce ministers' preferences but only legal regulations which don't go anything like as far as the government's guidance."

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Lord Sumption, a former Justice of the Supreme Court, told Radio 4's World At One the actions of Derbyshire Police - which also included uploading drone footage of walkers to social media - had "shamed our policing traditions".

"The tradition of policing in this country is that policemen are citizens in uniform, they are not members of a disciplined hierarchy operating just at the government's command," he said.

"The police have no power to enforce ministers' preferences but only legal regulations which don't go anything like as far as the government's guidance."
    The question is-Did the police act illegally or under the powers that they've recently been given? I don't know? Sumpiton is a Barrister with Right leaning Libertarian political views, his thoughts i are just his opinion on the situation?

There's no doubt some police are dick heads who go to far, we've always known that.

But anyone driving to go for a walk in the current situation is either clueless or an arse hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The question is-Did the police act illegally or under the powers that they've recently been given? I don't know? Sumpiton is a Barrister with Right leaning Libertarian political views, his thoughts i are just his opinion on the situation?
    Was the main item on BBC News just now too. The right-leaning Emily Thornbury, also commenting similarly. It's not right,left. liberal, it's remembering the coppers are our servants before all else..

Possibly the most shocking thing in this thread is that some people still say "simples" after a sentence

Was the main item on BBC News just now too. The right-leaning Emily Thornbury, also commenting similarly. It's not right,left. liberal, it's remembering the coppers are our servants before all else..
    Lady Nugee is right leaning?

Lady Nugee is right leaning?
    Was being ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Possibly the most shocking thing in this thread is that some people still say "simples" after a sentence
    Everybody does.....Not.

I think it is important to establish whether or not the police acted within the law, if they did and people disagree with with these new powers then it does become political because it would have been passed in Parliament. I suppose it's how the Police interpret these new powers, which has always been a problem.

Lord Sumption, a former Justice of the Supreme Court, told Radio 4's World At One, blah blah blah.
    Here's the thing - my parents are pretty much like the people you described yesterday. They are in their mid-eighties and look quite frail. They both have underlying health conditions which would put them at considerable risk of death if they contracted this virus. My father still loves to drive and he does so often. He goes out to the local recreational club and plays bridge five nights a week and occasionally goes to watch City games. Meanwhile, my mother is a very sociable person who goes to church twice a week and frequently visits her friends. Both of my parents enjoy walking in the sunshine in the open air. No doubt doing so at the present point in time would lift their spirits.

Nevertheless, in line with the advice of the government, the medical experts and the NHS doctors and nurses, they have stayed at home for almost all of the last three weeks. The few occasions they have left their house have been for brief early morning strolls when they've gone no further than around the block - something they've done about once every three days since they began locking themselves away.

The reason they haven't driven off to a beauty spot and gone for a walk is they are sensible people who understand that doing so would be ridiculous under the current circumstances. They don't want to run the risk of contracting the virus and they don't want to place any unnecessary burdens on the emergency services or the NHS, so they are following all of the guidelines and staying at home.

If everyone in this country followed the guidelines, which for the most part are very easy to understand, then it would give us the best chance of overcoming this crisis as quickly as possible. However, it seems a good percentage of the UK public are still ignorant, arrogant, selfish or stupid enough to believe the guidelines somehow don't apply to them.

By the way, you still haven't answered my question, so I'll rephrase it a little:

Do you believe everyone should be allowed to drive to Llandaff Fields, park up and go for a stroll? Or should that privilege be reserved for old and frail people who think a walk in the sunshine in the open air would lift their spirits?

Here's the thing - my parents are pretty much like the people you described yesterday. They are in their mid-eighties and look quite frail. They both have underlying health conditions which would put them at considerable risk of death if they contracted this virus. My father still loves to drive and he does so often. He goes out to the local recreational club and plays bridge five nights a week and occasionally goes to watch City games. Meanwhile, my mother is a very sociable person who goes to church twice a week and frequently visits her friends. Both of my parents enjoy walking in the sunshine in the open air. No doubt doing so at the present point in time would lift their spirits.

Nevertheless, in line with the advice of the government, the medical experts and the NHS doctors and nurses, they have stayed at home for almost all of the last three weeks. The few occasions they have left their house have been for brief early morning strolls when they've gone no further than around the block - something they've done about once every three days since they began locking themselves away.

The reason they haven't driven off to a beauty spot and gone for a walk is they are sensible people who understand that doing so would be ridiculous under the current circumstances. They don't want to run the risk of contracting the virus and they don't want to place any unnecessary burdens on the emergency services or the NHS, so they are following all of the guidelines and staying at home.

If everyone in this country followed the guidelines, which for the most part are very easy to understand, then it would give us the best chance of overcoming this crisis as quickly as possible. However, it seems a good percentage of the UK public are still ignorant, arrogant, selfish or stupid enough to believe the guidelines somehow don't apply to them.

By the way, you still haven't answered my question, so I'll rephrase it a little:

Do you believe everyone should be allowed to drive to Llandaff Fields, park up and go for a stroll? Or should that privilege be reserved for old and frail people who think a walk in the sunshine in the open air would lift their spirits?
    Your point is well made and the only reason why we have a spread of the virus, deaths and NHS Pressure and supermarket shelf clearing whcih is hurting the elderly and key workers is down to peoples self responsibility and discipline ,we either care or we dont ,we either follow advise , or we don't .

May ones god got with everyone

Exactly I'm not staying in 99% of the time because I've been told to. I'm doing it because I don't want to be the wanker who's led to someone's family member dying because I've acted like an inconsiderate arse hole. Being sensible and following the guidelines is literally saving lives.

"guidelines". Nothing wrong with guidelines. People are free to choose whether it's right or wrong. Walking around a supermarket, along the pavement etc, would seem a lot more hazardous to infection than being in your car and then in wide open spaces. If you are 'allowed' to drive a couple of miles to your nearest supermarket then why not half a mile to a large open space.

Banned

And, to serve the public, they sometimes have to do things that upset a smaller proportion of the public.

I feel that police telling elderly people to go home serves me. It means that there is less chance of the NHS being overrun, that if someone I know gets ill despite following the rules they have a better chance of getting the equipment they need (although still, not a great chance). It also means we can all get back to work before our employers go bust (maybe you have none of these concerns).

So, the police sending people home in this current crisis that could get much much worse is absolutely serving the public. 1400 plus families have already lost loved ones to this, the NHS has lost 3 medical staff. What are you doing to stop the spread?

"guidelines". Nothing wrong with guidelines. People are free to choose whether it's right or wrong. Walking around a supermarket, along the pavement etc, would seem a lot more hazardous to infection than being in your car and then in wide open spaces. If you are 'allowed' to drive a couple of miles to your nearest supermarket then why not half a mile to a large open space.
    Because thousands of people were going to the same wide open spaces. Snowdon had its busiest day in living memory. It only happened about ten days ago. Is your memory that short?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Because thousands of people were going to the same wide open spaces. Snowdon had its busiest day in living memory. It only happened about ten days ago. Is your memory that short?
    Is this prick really comparing people going to the supermarket to get food with people driving to the seaside to get covid-19?

If everyone has that attitude we will be ****ed though.

You are allowed to drive to your supermarket because you need food to survive.

So let's get this straight: despite the Coronavirus pandemic, you believe each and every one of us (including your frail old couple) should still be free to choose whether or not we want to drive to Llandaff Fields, park up and go for a walk. Is that right?

They'll soon stop being "guidelines" if people are too stupid to abide by them.

So let's get this straight: despite the Coronavirus pandemic, you believe each and every one of us (including your frail old couple) should still be free to choose whether or not we want to drive to Llandaff Fields, park up and go for a walk. Is that right?
    I think that's what he's saying, but you missed the part where he doesn't seem to want freedom to go to the supermarket because that's far more dangerous and you clearly can't buy anything essential there whatsoever.

Looks like Monkfish is going to carry the ball into April. I admit I didn't think it possible, but he's made of stronger stuff than I thought. Imagine having the self confidence to believe you're right even as the entire world comes to a shuddering halt. Have to admire that.