+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Quality goals mark mark third successive victory for tired Cardiff City.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Quality goals mark mark third successive victory for tired Cardiff City.

It feels very Cardiff that the first homegrown prospect given a debut in ages is the one who's 6ft+

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    It feels very Cardiff that the first homegrown prospect given a debut in ages is the one who's 6ft+
    Who'd have thunk it. I said earlier in the week that he might be in the right place at the right time. If he can learn to head the ball well he might turn into even more of a viable option here. I'm assuming that one of the reasons Moore stays on all game is for his height and strength defending corners and other set pieces when we're seeing a game out. If Colwill can show an ability to use his physique in a similar manner then McCarthy might see that as a way to give Moore some rest, which he'll surely need. A more radical idea could be to use Colwill's technical ability as a method of holding onto the ball more and seeing the game out that way but I can't see that type of nonsense catching on here.

I'm obviously impressed by McCarthy's start here and I'm sure he's handling the youngsters well but I think it's a bit of a kick in the teeth for them when they can't be trusted to replace tired and fading players who'll be needed again in three days time. It can't be great for their confidence and I'd imagine the buzz they're getting from being in the match day squad could quickly be replaced by a feeling that the manager doesn't fancy them after all and they're merely making up the numbers. To be fair, we could probably all see where McCarthy was coming from yesterday but it's a risky strategy in this crowded season. As I said, I'm sure he's handling them ok, I'm not accusing him of Sladeism yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Who'd have thunk it. I said earlier in the week that he might be in the right place at the right time. If he can learn to head the ball well he might turn into even more of a viable option here. I'm assuming that one of the reasons Moore stays on all game is for his height and strength defending corners and other set pieces when we're seeing a game out. If Colwill can show an ability to use his physique in a similar manner then McCarthy might see that as a way to give Moore some rest, which he'll surely need. A more radical idea could be to use Colwill's technical ability as a method of holding onto the ball more and seeing the game out that way but I can't see that type of nonsense catching on here.

I'm obviously impressed by McCarthy's start here and I'm sure he's handling the youngsters well but I think it's a bit of a kick in the teeth for them when they can't be trusted to replace tired and fading players who'll be needed again in three days time. It can't be great for their confidence and I'd imagine the buzz they're getting from being in the match day squad could quickly be replaced by a feeling that the manager doesn't fancy them after all and they're merely making up the numbers. To be fair, we could probably all see where McCarthy was coming from yesterday but it's a risky strategy in this crowded season. As I said, I'm sure he's handling them ok, I'm not accusing him of Sladeism yet.
    Hopefully they get some actual game time sometime soon. The Bacuna for Murphy sub baffled me to be honest, surely the more obvious option was Bacuna for an obviously tiring Vaulks and one of Watters/Davies/Harris/Colwill for Murphy?

I get that he wanted experience on the pitch, but there was a couple of players who were obviously knackered which led to Coventry's late dominance

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Hopefully they get some actual game time sometime soon. The Bacuna for Murphy sub baffled me to be honest, surely the more obvious option was Bacuna for an obviously tiring Vaulks and one of Watters/Davies/Harris/Colwill for Murphy?

I get that he wanted experience on the pitch, but there was a couple of players who were obviously knackered which led to Coventry's late dominance
    I think he's trying to get to 50 points as soon as possible and then we'll blood the youngsters when there's less to play for. We're going to need to need title winning form to make the playoffs so it's going to be unlikely.