+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Johanna Konta - Semi finalist

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Johanna Konta - Semi finalist

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    I'm saying in the case of Williams, he at least had a link at Wales in his family.

Konta has the square root of f*ck all family history with Britain.

That was the difference I identified in my post. Do I agree with the legacy approach? Not really. It's as opportunistic as Konta but again, the only difference is at least they have some link to Wales.
    The Konta system of qualification, would now make her eligible for football in Wales, under the 4 year compulsory schooling laws. Personally i believe actually spending 4 schooling years in a country is a better link than, having one grandparent, who you have to be told existed.

Robert Earnshaw moved to Wales at 9, i would never suggest that he wasn't Welsh.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    The Konta system of qualification, would now make her eligible for football in Wales, under the 4 year compulsory schooling laws. Personally i believe actually spending 4 schooling years in a country is a better link than, having one grandparent, who you have to be told existed.

Robert Earnshaw moved to Wales at 9, i would never suggest that he wasn't Welsh.
    Again, the situations are close but not enough to be fully comparable.

Konta was happy to live in Britain and retain Australian citizenship. It was only when the offer of funding came in she magically decided she felt British. If the LTA hadn't offered money then she would be an Australian still. Even with the 4 years schooling rule, as an adult she had zero interest in becoming British before the funding offer.

It's akin to nation doping. The clamour back in the eighties to get Zola Budd a passport to circumvent the ban on South Africa I felt was an utter disgrace, view Konta the same way.

Again, the situations are close but not enough to be fully comparable.

Konta was happy to live in Britain and retain Australian citizenship. It was only when the offer of funding came in she magically decided she felt British. If the LTA hadn't offered money then she would be an Australian still. Even with the 4 years schooling rule, as an adult she had zero interest in becoming British before the funding offer.

It's akin to nation doping. The clamour back in the eighties to get Zola Budd a passport to circumvent the ban on South Africa I felt was an utter disgrace, view Konta the same way.
    Yes, but nothing is completely comparable.

At the end of the day given her life situation she would be eligible to play for her country in the majority of sports played around the world. Did she more than likely play the funding systems, yes. Are all players that are playing international football, doing it for the love of that country, no.

Its is an amusing situation where fans can justify players playing for their country in football, using terms as, the country must use all the laws it can to improve the team, and if they feel Welsh then that is good enough. However if that sport is then Cricket or Tennis, then how can people support this impostor.

Yes, but nothing is completely comparable.

At the end of the day given her life situation she would be eligible to play for her country in the majority of sports played around the world. Did she more than likely play the funding systems, yes. Are all players that are playing international football, doing it for the love of that country, no.

Its is an amusing situation where fans can justify players playing for their country in football, using terms as, the country must use all the laws it can to improve the team, and if they feel Welsh then that is good enough. However if that sport is then Cricket or Tennis, then how can people support this impostor.
    I'm against it in all sports tbh.

I'm against it in all sports tbh.
    good, then i would agree, i hope to see a thread along this lines when Wales play their next game and Willams (Johnny and Ashley), King, Vokes, Robson-Kanu, and the others get similar treatment.

good, then i would agree, i hope to see a thread along this lines when Wales play their next game and Willams (Johnny and Ashley), King, Vokes, Robson-Kanu, and the others get similar treatment.
    I'm sure there will be the day they play competitively for England and then decide to play for Wales based upon money.

I'm sure there will be the day they play competitively for England and then decide to play for Wales based upon money.
    She has never represented Australia in the FED cup, or she wouldn't be able to play for GB. So hasnt really represented Austria, she was just playing Tennis as an Australian. Ashley Williams played football as an Englishman until the FaW told him he had a Welsh Grandparent.