+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Best anti religion book I have ever read , Sam Harris, letter to a Christian nation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Best anti religion book I have ever read , Sam Harris, letter to a Christian nation

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    What an absolute crock of shit. How many people who have faith do you actually know? I was brought up a Catholic, i'm now an atheist, i simply don't believe there is a god but plenty of people do. The vast majority that i know are moderate and don't take the bible literally, those that do are usually crack pots with right wing tendencies. Although i'm not a believer i respect those that do, Individuals and their faith are presented in many different guises, it isn't a one shoe fits all as you present. My mother has faith, as does my wife, they are moderate free thinkers, their faith can mean many things at different times, it gives them strength and comfort without judging or hurting anyone and i know hundreds of people with faith who are like that. You really should get out more
    Your response is rather amusing on several counts. Firstly, that my view lacks gravitas as you assume that I know few people of faith and that I don't get out enough. I have friends of different faiths (including a lay preacher) and probably 'get out' more than most people, having visited a multitude of so-called holy places around the world, including Shinto shrines in Japan, Buddhist temples in Vietnam, mosques in the Middle East and Africa, Ancient Greek temples, Roman temples, pagan sites, Native American sacred places, synagogues in Israel and in Eastern Europe etc etc.
    Your associating 'God' merely with just one of the Abrahamist schisms suggests that you are perhaps the more parochialist here as we know that there there have been thousands of gods worshipped in the history of mankind and that believers rarely baulk against the one passed down to them by local authorities, customs and their peers. If people were really free thinkers there would be shintoists in the Inuit community and believers in Shiva in Saudi Arabia.
    The fact that believing in deities brings comfort to people doesn't mean that it isn't bunkum. The fact that a relative of yours is a Christian is almost definitely down to the expansion of the Roman Empire into Britain. Religion and languages often travel via the same conduits.
    As for your comment about 'one shoe fits all', it's a load of cobblers

Re: Best anti religion book I have ever read , Sam Harris, letter to a Christian nation

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Your response is rather amusing on several counts. Firstly, that my view lacks gravitas as you assume that I know few people of faith and that I don't get out enough. I have friends of different faiths (including a lay preacher) and probably 'get out' more than most people, having visited a multitude of so-called holy places around the world, including Shinto shrines in Japan, Buddhist temples in Vietnam, mosques in the Middle East and Africa, Ancient Greek temples, Roman temples, pagan sites, Native American sacred places, synagogues in Israel and in Eastern Europe etc etc.
    Your associating 'God' merely with just one of the Abrahamist schisms suggests that you are perhaps the more parochialist here as we know that there there have been thousands of gods worshipped in the history of mankind and that believers rarely baulk against the one passed down to them by local authorities, customs and their peers. If people were really free thinkers there would be shintoists in the Inuit community and believers in Shiva in Saudi Arabia.
    The fact that believing in deities brings comfort to people doesn't mean that it isn't bunkum. The fact that a relative of yours is a Christian is almost definitely down to the expansion of the Roman Empire into Britain. Religion and languages often travel via the same conduits.
    As for your comment about 'one shoe fits all', it's a load of cobblers
    Wonderful Stuff. Here's something for you to think about. When you next Travel, Visit a City or Town, indulge in Poetry, Writings, Architecture, Art, Sculpture, planning etc-The wonders of Culture-Ask yourself what influenced it and how it got there. You see, you may think it's all 'Bunkum', although Religion has enhanced your life more than you will ever know-or want to know.

Wonderful Stuff. Here's something for you to think about. When you next Travel, Visit a City or Town, indulge in Poetry, Writings, Architecture, Art, Sculpture, planning etc-The wonders of Culture-Ask yourself what influenced it and how it got there. You see, you may think it's all 'Bunkum', although Religion has enhanced your life more than you will ever know-or want to know.
    Pay no attention to his globetrotting tales as they're products of his imagination. His annual one-week holiday is 20 miles up the road from home at Minehead Butlins in one of the cheap Sun Voucher chalets. Any pics he posts taken at exotic locations he swiped from the net.

Only kidding, Genie.

Well yes, ancients believed in these things and I think it’s quite possible for instance to appreciate Roman art, architecture, planning techniques, temples etc. and still think religeon is ‘bunkum’ (to refer to previous post). In the case of Rome, much of this was of course was established long before it’s transition to Christianity and was influenced by earlier polytheistic Greek and Etruscan culture. And Christian values and bible writings are often lifted from earlier Greek stoic philosophy and Roman republican virtues, so are strongly influenced by Greek and Roman secular values. So it’s all of historical interest and can be wonderful to experience when travelling, but that’s a different point really.

Freedom of belief is important I think, but so is secularism and removing religious privilege. At the same time I know some very nice people with religious beliefs. I think their outlook is misguided but they largely keep it to themselves and clearly get comfort from it. They probably think the same about my Humanist leanings. Difference in beliefs isn’t an issue at all. Some of them are secularists too.

I spent a great deal of my time taking in such things and appreciating art and culture inspired by various religions but that doesn't mean that any of the deities were real. Folklore is fascinating and that's precisely what it is.
    Many religions are based on belief systems and it is fascinating how they morph, develop and divide. A hugely interesting facet of human culture.