+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Trump, masks 'they're not for me'...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Trump, masks 'they're not for me'...

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I think the point is that, at a conference to advise everyone to wear masks, trump says oh no, I'm not gonna wear one, of course not.

Also, wearing a mask for pollution and a mask for a virus is not quite the same thing.
    I simply broadened the debate.

I don't care what mad Trump states , one is allowed to develop an important topic that effects life .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

I don't care what mad Trump states , one is allowed to develop an important topic that effects life .
    Well done you for broadening the debate.

Did you ever expand on your comment that British DNA is better than Italian DNA so we don't succumb to the virus so easily? Quite a few of us were interested in where you were going with that. Would you care to develop and broaden your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

My understanding is that if you're wearing a mask and you cough or sneeze the droplets get contained within, which you would assume must be a good thing. Obviously there are experts who argue for and against the efficacy of wearing masks. It's so confusing, I'm at my wits' end.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    My understanding is that if you're wearing a mask and you cough or sneeze the droplets get contained within, which you would assume must be a good thing. Obviously there are experts who argue for and against the efficacy of wearing masks. It's so confusing, I'm at my wits' end.
    I've ordered some this morning for the very reason you mention - I don't think it will prevent me catching the virus in a supermarket, but it will stop me passing it on to others, at least that's my understanding anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've ordered some this morning for the very reason you mention - I don't think it will prevent me catching the virus in a supermarket, but it will stop me passing it on to others, at least that's my understanding anyway.
    Where did you order from Paul ?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Where did you order from Paul ?
    I searched face marks for sale and clicked on the e bay link. They were about the fifth one down, blue with a British flag on the ad. There's free postage on it and they're saying they can get them to me on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Yes that, and also they're a good barrier to you absently touching your mouth and nose, which I guess is where the majority of transmissions occur.

A mask might not do loads of help, but it won't hurt either so I think we might as well wear them. Unless you DO sneeze and cough into it a lot, which would make it into a disgusting petri dish attached to your face.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Yes that, and also they're a good barrier to you absently touching your mouth and nose, which I guess is where the majority of transmissions occur.

A mask might not do loads of help, but it won't hurt either so I think we might as well wear them. Unless you DO sneeze and cough into it a lot, which would make it into a disgusting petri dish attached to your face.
    If used sensibly. Like I say, plebs wear gloves that they then discard in trollies which shows a significant number of people wear these things for self protection.

I saw one woman wearing a comically drenched mask , so wet you could see her lips through it at certain angles. Nothing covering her nose.

So, the correct types need to be distributed, probably with cleaning equipment to prompt people to use them correctly.

Personally, considering I only ever go out to get food now, I am happy that social distancing will be enough. The question in my mind has always been "am I asymptomatic" rather than "I hope to God I don't get it" so I behave as if I may have it. Which probably means I should consider a mask (responsibly) but what type, and am I taking equipment from those that really need it by buying one for what is, essentially, a 45 minute period outside where I am keeping a distance from fellow shoppers?

International

I think that is the point with people wearing masks, normally to black polutants in the air, you see a lot of people ( mainly asians for some reason)s doing this often in UK.
    But to wear one for the pandemic does puzzle me a little.
    If you are social distancing it makes me think that you have the virus and you are wearing it to stop preading it to other people, like people do when the have flu, which of course would be crazy... if you have it you should be nowhere near other people

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I think that is the point with people wearing masks, normally to black polutants in the air, you see a lot of people ( mainly asians for some reason)s doing this often in UK.
    But to wear one for the pandemic does puzzle me a little.
    If you are social distancing it makes me think that you have the virus and you are wearing it to stop preading it to other people, like people do when the have flu, which of course would be crazy... if you have it you should be nowhere near other people
    Isn't it that everyone might have it but no one knows they have it because it has a 2 week incubation period and some people can be asymptotic

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Isn't it that everyone might have it but no one knows they have it because it has a 2 week incubation period and some people can be asymptotic
    I get what you are saying but it occurs to me that the poeple you see wearing them don't think they have it themselves, they think other people have it, and if that is so wearing it when they are not in close proximity to others is pointless.
    anyone who believes he or she may have it and then thinks it is OK to go to the shop or wherever if they wear a mask has to be complete ****wit.

As far as I am aware, there are two types of masks you can buy: one which offers up to 95% protection to wearer and the other simply about stopping you spreading the disease further.

I wonder if this will create a culture change where masks are seen more frequently in Wales/the UK after this all passes?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I get what you are saying but it occurs to me that the poeple you see wearing them don't think they have it themselves, they think other people have it, and if that is so wearing it when they are not in close proximity to others is pointless.
    anyone who believes he or she may have it and then thinks it is OK to go to the shop or wherever if they wear a mask has to be complete ****wit.
    The incubation period for the virus is put at five days as a typical period before symptoms start to show, but it can be longer - people may think they don't have it in the intervening period, but anyone who did could still pass it on to someone else. Although it does seem that you are more likely to get it from someone who is showing symptoms, it can still be passed on.a