+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How many super Full Backs are there?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: How many super Full Backs are there?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    I say super because that is what most of us appear to want.
    A player who can for 90 minutes defend without fault often trying to cover two opponents dependent upon whether he is getting help from a central defender or midfielder dropping back, and then be at the the end of the pitch putting in a perfect cross to create a scoring opportunity.

I am not a great fan of Bennett nor Richards. Both can be defensively lapse and neither get forward fast enough.
    Maybe the latter is tactics.

But then I think about our great full backs and that left back has never been easy and the two that I can remember who might qualify for the ‘super category’ are Peter Rodrigues and Gary Bell. I am sure there are others but who?
    Super Kev, probably the best full back I've seen in a City shirt although I always liked Linden Jones in the early 80s, not talented but just to get stuck in

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Super Kev, probably the best full back I've seen in a City shirt although I always liked Linden Jones in the early 80s, not talented but just to get stuck in
    He was OK at this level, good defensively, but I never understood how popular he was.

Can you name one RB we've had over the last 40 odd years who was better?

That doesn't mean he was actually good
    Delaney? he had a good career in the premier league and "super" kev was simply not good enough for that level. I don't think he came close to troubling the team of the season in the championship either, at a side that were perpetual contenders.
    I thought Brayford was unfortunate with us and probably could have been used better.

In the championship off the top of my head ones that stood out were Kieran Trippier, Seamus Coleman, Ashley Cole - mostly loans who were clearly too good for this level.

Basically everyone wants a male version of Lucy Bronze

Theophile Catherine was far and away better.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Theophile Catherine was far and away better.
    I Agree with this. McNaughton certainly was very popular but he wasn't a great player.i was thinking I actually preferred Peltier.

In terms of full backs Legg was always my favourite however the level we were at was below standard are now.

Alf Sherwood,Alan Harrington, Chris Gunter for a start!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Alf Sherwood,Alan Harrington, Chris Gunter for a start!
    I think that your timing is out a bit concerning Sherwood and Harrington and the chris gunter comparison is very debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think that your timing is out a bit concerning Sherwood and Harrington and the chris gunter comparison is very debatable.
    I thought it was best ever Cardiff City Full backs?
    Debatable only to the most one eyed City supporters, Gunter, 441 Appearances so far all in Championship except for 25 in Premier League,96 International appearances, sold for 3m and two other transfers to Forest and Reading for 2m +.
    Super Kev 254 Championship appearances, remainder in Scottish League or below. 4 International caps, all moves free transfers, never had a decent bid for him or he’d be gone, now living back in his beloved Scotland!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    I thought it was best ever Cardiff City Full backs?
    Debatable only to the most one eyed City supporters, Gunter, 441 Appearances so far all in Championship except for 25 in Premier League,96 International appearances, sold for 3m and two other transfers to Forest and Reading for 2m +.
    Super Kev 254 Championship appearances, remainder in Scottish League or below. 4 International caps, all moves free transfers, never had a decent bid for him or he’d be gone, now living back in his beloved Scotland!
    I think the question was fullbacks over the last 40 years. There's not alot between Bennett and Gunter and like i said it is debatable who is the better player, certainly not a one eyed view.