PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone travelled independently to Cuba? (i.e. not as part of a package holiday)

Taunton Blue Genie
03-01-15, 12:21
I am looking to get to Cuba before the American multinationals move in but I don't do package holidays - as I like to savour the 'real' country and get around as much as possible.
I am a great lover of road trips and wondered if anyone else on here has had experience of that option in Cuba?
Any other tips will be welcome, of course.

And before anyone else says it....I am presuming that Euros are of no use over there http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif

A-team
03-01-15, 12:34
I am looking to get to Cuba before the American multinationals move in but I don't do package holidays - as I like to savour the 'real' country and get around as much as possible.To be honest its probably the best place i have ever been, the people are amazing, I highly recommend going there!

Taunton Blue Genie
03-01-15, 12:39
I am looking to get to Cuba before the American multinationals move in but I don't do package holidays - as I like to savour the 'real' country and get around as much as possible.
I am a great lover of road trips and wondered if anyone else on here has had experience of that option in Cuba?Cheers. I have read about the 'casas' and that they offer quite a good experience.

Leggy
03-01-15, 12:53
Been twice and both times did a week in cities and a week near a beach (1999 and 2007). Even then, you could notice a massive change in the people's attitudes and the state, too. The first time everyone was glorifying the revolution, very anti-American and very little private enterprise - some people invited us into their houses for foot which was wonderful. The second time, everyone seemed out to rip us off, not much to say politically, and the government was beginning to allow more front-room restaurants and the like. A shame but understandable. However, from what I've read recently, they seem to be getting more politically conscious with the reforms and with the return to the wealth they had during the days of the USSR trade deals.

Anyway, spend at least 3 full days in Havana to see some of the world's most important political sights (imho). The museum of the revolution is brilliant, the Plaza and capitol building are 'iconic' but also just the beautiful, crumbling architecture and the great vibe of the place that really impressed me.
Santiago de Cuba is a must. Of historical importance as it's where the Moncada Barracks are (which house a great museum) and it's where Fidel announced the victory in '59.
We stayed, the first time, in a resort near there which allowed us to get as close as possible to Guantanamo Bay.
The second time, we went to Cienfuegos, which was a pretty dull town. Nice 1950s architecture but nothing much going on. We didn't get a chance due to illness, but people recommend Santa Clara moreso.
Then we went to Trinidad, which was a beautiful old town but can't say that it had too much to offer other than some nice buildings, a beach and a Shaman temple.

Don't know the deal with driving there but the roads are pretty poor. There was a half-finished bridge on one of the roads, left to ruin in 1994 when the money from the USSR ran out. Took an internal flight to Santiago the first time which was a brilliant experience - appalling service and the rickety plane filling up with steam as soon as we took off.

You'll have a blast whatever you do, though!

Observer
03-01-15, 12:58
I am a great lover of road trips and wondered if anyone else on here has had experience of that option in Cuba?
Any other tips will be welcome, of course.If you like larger woman I heard the Mama Casas are great http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/getmycoat.gif

avarice
03-01-15, 13:05
I have.

Did 3 weeks mainly by bus. Helps if you can speak a bit of Spanish. Loads of casa accommodation options when the bus enters a town.

Best holiday I ever had. Saw Fidel Castro give a speech on International Workers day.min Revolution Square. Havana obviously has to be done
Also went to Trinidad, Santa Clara (where Che Guevara's bones now reside) and Vinales. Avoid Varadero if possible.... Well the beach is lovely but it's a proper tourist trap.

Would love to return, a real eye-opener of a country which challenges pre-conceptions.

Could only do the western half of the island in those 3 weeks (well it's a holiday)

I hear the Eastern part is more Creole influenced and would love to go there too.

Taunton Blue Genie
03-01-15, 13:09
I have.I can get by in Spanish, avarice, so I should be OK.

Rocco Siffredi
03-01-15, 13:17
Let me know what the Cuban ladies of the night are like Genie. I fancy one rolling my cigar and moistening the tip

Taunton Blue Genie
03-01-15, 13:19
Let me know what the Cuban ladies of the night are like Genie. I fancy one rolling my cigar and moistening the tip Is that you, Mr Clinton?

A-team
03-01-15, 13:28
I have.You saw fidel giving a speech? Thats amazing. When was that?

avarice
05-01-15, 19:26
I have.
Did 3 weeks mainly by bus. Helps if you can speak a bit of Spanish. Loads of casa accommodation options when the bus enters a town. http://thirdeyemom.com/2014/05/16/colon-cemetery-havanas-wor k-of-art/ (http://thirdeyemom.com/2014/05/16/colon-cemetery-havanas-work-of-art/)