PDA

View Full Version : The vast majority of new housing built since 2000 has been bought by landlords

Dr Tim Muff
04-01-15, 12:28
"Departmental figures show that the vast majority of new housing in the UK since the turn of the millennium has been bought by landlords. Between 2000 and 2012, the private rented sector has accounted for some 2.5 million of the extra homes. Only 400,000 have been bought by occupiers."

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/life/property/article4311161.e ce?shareToken=15b2410d946d0a35bf4bb875d204d1d6 (http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/life/property/article4311161.ece?shareToken=15b2410d946d0a35bf4b b875d204d1d6)

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/yikes.gif

Ray Mears
04-01-15, 12:32
One interesting thing about the housing market is that house building is usually higher in areas where there are generally more people renting. It's important to note that in terms of affordability just building homes is the best thing that you can do.

tigerbaybluebird
04-01-15, 12:37
Buy to let is massive, where I work out if approx 1000 apartments at least 70% are rentals...

Dr Tim Muff
04-01-15, 13:53
One interesting thing about the housing market is that house building is usually higher in areas where there are generally more people renting. It's important to note that in terms of affordability just building homes is the best thing that you can do.Perhaps it is time to recognise that the property-owning democracy dream is fading, and to address the lack of protection/tenancy rights currently afforded to tenants in the UK. Germany is usually mentioned at this point ....

Ray Mears
04-01-15, 14:06
One interesting thing about the housing market is that house building is usually higher in areas where there are generally more people renting. It's important to note that in terms of affordability just building homes is the best thing that you can do.
No question that just building homes is the answer - but it isn't going to happen in the short/medium term.I agree thought that tenancy rights are an issue, I actually think a healthy rental market is really beneficial to both the economy and people's ability to live in a home that best suits their needs.

Dr Tim Muff
04-01-15, 14:16
No question that just building homes is the answer - but it isn't going to happen in the short/medium term.
In the meantime the buy-to-let market is benefiting from some serious advantages over the buy-to-occupy market. Interest free mortgages, offsetting mortgage interest against tax for example - available to the landlord, but not the owner occupier. This inevitably skews the market and pushes both rental and purchase prices skyward.I'm not sure why you think rents would be reduced? The competition to buy from a shortage of housing stock is still very much present, but is just skewed heavily in favour of landlords. Have I missed something?

Ray Mears
04-01-15, 14:21
No question that just building homes is the answer - but it isn't going to happen in the short/medium term.
In the meantime the buy-to-let market is benefiting from some serious advantages over the buy-to-occupy market. Interest free mortgages, offsetting mortgage interest against tax for example - available to the landlord, but not the owner occupier. This inevitably skews the market and pushes both rental and purchase prices skyward.
Perhaps it is time to recognise that the property-owning democracy dream is fading, and to address the lack of protection/tenancy rights currently afforded to tenants in the UK. Germany is usually mentioned at this point .... If there is more rental accommodation available, then you would expect lower rents than if there were fewer rental units available.

04-01-15, 14:57
No question that just building homes is the answer - but it isn't going to happen in the short/medium term.Interest free mortgages? Charging interest against tax? Tax is charged on profits which is rental income less rental expense - as it should be.

04-01-15, 14:59
No question that just building homes is the answer - but it isn't going to happen in the short/medium term.Germany doesn't really gave a homebuyer market with most Germans renting. The rental market is very strong and provides great flexibility allowing the younger generation to move around freely

Mrs Steve R
04-01-15, 15:04
In the meantime the buy-to-let market is benefiting from some serious advantages over the buy-to-occupy market. Interest free mortgages, offsetting mortgage interest against tax for example - available to the landlord, but not the owner occupier. This inevitably skews the market and pushes both rental and purchase prices skyward.You scare me feedback.

04-01-15, 15:05
In the meantime the buy-to-let market is benefiting from some serious advantages over the buy-to-occupy market. Interest free mortgages, offsetting mortgage interest against tax for example - available to the landlord, but not the owner occupier. This inevitably skews the market and pushes both rental and purchase prices skyward.
Perhaps it is time to recognise that the property-owning democracy dream is fading, and to address the lack of protection/tenancy rights currently afforded to tenants in the UK. Germany is usually mentioned at this point .... Why? The German market is very fluid. When at university my german colleagues couldn't understand the fixation with wanting to buy and be tied down.

Dr Tim Muff
04-01-15, 15:06
Perhaps it is time to recognise that the property-owning democracy dream is fading, and to address the lack of protection/tenancy rights currently afforded to tenants in the UK. Germany is usually mentioned at this point ....
Reduces rents surely? I don't think there are any interest free mortgages available are there?As the supply of rental accommodation increases, so does the demand - as those unable to access mortgages or raise the sums needed to buy a property have found themselves trapped in rented housing for longer (or permanently!), driving up demand for rented homes.

04-01-15, 15:07
Perhaps it is time to recognise that the property-owning democracy dream is fading, and to address the lack of protection/tenancy rights currently afforded to tenants in the UK. Germany is usually mentioned at this point ....
Reduces rents surely? I don't think there are any interest free mortgages available are there?
I agree thought that tenancy rights are an issue, I actually think a healthy rental market is really beneficial to both the economy and people's ability to live in a home that best suits their needs.Why is it a problem if people rent rather than buy?

Mrs Steve R
04-01-15, 15:10
Germany doesn't really gave a homebuyer market with most Germans renting. The rental market is very strong and provides great flexibility allowing the younger generation to move around freely http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif because you could make prison sound like a luxury time share in the Bahamas that's why. http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif

04-01-15, 15:12
Germany doesn't really gave a homebuyer market with most Germans renting. The rental market is very strong and provides great flexibility allowing the younger generation to move around freely
You scare me feedback.Compared to living with a woman it probably is

Observer
04-01-15, 15:22
"Departmental figures show that the vast majority of new housing in the UK since the turn of the millennium has been bought by landlords. Between 2000 and 2012, the private rented sector has accounted for some 2.5 million of the extra homes. Only 400,000 have been bought by occupiers."Thatcher the Milk Snatcher knew exactly what she was doing, her 'boys' were already primed for a piece of the action http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif

Eric the Half a Bee
Reduces rents surely? I don't think there are any interest free mortgages available are there?
I agree thought that tenancy rights are an issue, I actually think a healthy rental market is really beneficial to both the economy and people's ability to live in a home that best suits their needs.
OOps! I meant interest only http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/getmycoat.gifI reckon in 30-40 years time, people will be far less able to leave an inheritance, something which was almost a given 30-40 years ago. Similarly with pensions.

Dr Tim Muff
In the meantime the buy-to-let market is benefiting from some serious advantages over the buy-to-occupy market. Interest free mortgages, offsetting mortgage interest against tax for example - available to the landlord, but not the owner occupier. This inevitably skews the market and pushes both rental and purchase prices skyward.That said, it does have fairly robust tenancy rights - something I feel we are going to have to re-introduce in the UK.

Observer
04-01-15, 15:24
I agree thought that tenancy rights are an issue, I actually think a healthy rental market is really beneficial to both the economy and people's ability to live in a home that best suits their needs.
OOps! I meant interest only http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/getmycoat.gifSays Feedback who has bought his house .. another case of I'm all right, so **** everybody else http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif

Observer
04-01-15, 15:29
OOps! I meant interest only http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/getmycoat.gif
I'm not sure why you think rents would be reduced? The competition to buy from a shortage of housing stock is still very much present, but is just skewed heavily in favour of landlords. Have I missed something?It's another massive con by the money lenders, do you really think that pile of rubble you live in is worth £250,000?

Dr Tim Muff
04-01-15, 15:30
OOps! I meant interest only http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/getmycoat.gifhttp://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/shrug.gif

WJ99mobile
04-01-15, 15:37
Only scanned briefly through the thread and the article - someone who's read both fully may be able to correct me.

From what I believe, no way in a million years has the 'vast majority of new housing built since 2000 has been bought by private landlords' (I know you haven't said that, but I've seen a few mentions of buy-to-let)

So surely this must include figures from the social rented sector - in essence the new council housing. Is there anything wrong with this? Not everyone wants to, or financially can own their own home - so I'm not sure that there is an issue here. Just a load of wealthy 'not-for-profit-but-incredibly-wealthy' housing associations boosting the numbers.

Eric the Half a Bee
04-01-15, 15:39
OOps! I meant interest only http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/getmycoat.gif
I'm not sure why you think rents would be reduced? The competition to buy from a shortage of housing stock is still very much present, but is just skewed heavily in favour of landlords. Have I missed something?
If there is more rental accommodation available, then you would expect lower rents than if there were fewer rental units available.It's interesting to consider a mate of mine living in Norway. He has a 4 bedroom house with a 2 bedroom flat downstairs that he rents. He lives in an idyllic spot, great neighbourhood, right by a fjord, 2 miles from one of the bigger towns in Norway. He reckons it is worth around £150k.

WJ99mobile
04-01-15, 15:49
I'm not sure why you think rents would be reduced? The competition to buy from a shortage of housing stock is still very much present, but is just skewed heavily in favour of landlords. Have I missed something?
If there is more rental accommodation available, then you would expect lower rents than if there were fewer rental units available.It never is, but how much is the land? How much would it cost to bring in all the services if you was to do it yourself. It costs what it costs. Everyone's in the same boat/house.

04-01-15, 15:53
I'm not sure why you think rents would be reduced? The competition to buy from a shortage of housing stock is still very much present, but is just skewed heavily in favour of landlords. Have I missed something?Seems like thatchers flagship right to buy was a policy that allowed millions yo benefit from homeownership I'm sure you will agree

04-01-15, 15:55
I'm not sure why you think rents would be reduced? The competition to buy from a shortage of housing stock is still very much present, but is just skewed heavily in favour of landlords. Have I missed something?I rented when I was younger, it was no issue

Dr Tim Muff
04-01-15, 15:58
Only scanned briefly through the thread and the article - someone who's read both fully may be able to correct me. Linky (http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/2011-census-analysis/a-century-of-home-ownership-and-renting-in-england-and-wales/short-story-on-housing.html)

Observer
04-01-15, 15:59
If there is more rental accommodation available, then you would expect lower rents than if there were fewer rental units available.
Ah - I see. Not sure I agree though. It costs what the money lenders want it to cost, working hand-in-hand with other 'interested parties.'

Eric the Half a Bee
04-01-15, 16:02
If there is more rental accommodation available, then you would expect lower rents than if there were fewer rental units available.If that's all you think then I take it that you couldn't give a rat's arse.

04-01-15, 16:15
If there is more rental accommodation available, then you would expect lower rents than if there were fewer rental units available.
Ah - I see. Not sure I agree though. You miss the point. You argue that renting is unfair because the fruits of your toils aren't yours and cannot be passed on to your children. I suggest that thatcher was instrumental in making this happen for millions - she was and it was the right thing to do.

Mick the Miller
04-01-15, 16:36
OOps! I meant interest only http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/getmycoat.gifHypocritical or what ?

Elysium
04-01-15, 16:38
I'm not sure why you think rents would be reduced? The competition to buy from a shortage of housing stock is still very much present, but is just skewed heavily in favour of landlords. Have I missed something?Slight difference, Michael. How is it hypocritical?

04-01-15, 16:41
I'm not sure why you think rents would be reduced? The competition to buy from a shortage of housing stock is still very much present, but is just skewed heavily in favour of landlords. Have I missed something?I never said he shouldn't rent, I said with his film star salary he really shouldn't be in social housing - he could afford to live elsewhere thus freeing up much needed social housing for those that really needed it

Dr Tim Muff
04-01-15, 16:54
If there is more rental accommodation available, then you would expect lower rents than if there were fewer rental units available.http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/rolleyes.gif

Mrs Steve R
04-01-15, 16:54
Germany doesn't really gave a homebuyer market with most Germans renting. The rental market is very strong and provides great flexibility allowing the younger generation to move around freely
You scare me feedback.
Why? The German market is very fluid. When at university my german colleagues couldn't understand the fixation with wanting to buy and be tied down.You don't have to live with yours, you do still have the right to do what you want.. for now http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif

Jimmy Jimmy
04-01-15, 16:57
Simple - why not vote for the political party that only allows 1 house ownership per person - and out right bans any company from stock piling houses - by taxing them out of existence.

If such a policy was what the people wanted then there will be a political party about to announce this - surely http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/sherlock.gif

04-01-15, 17:25
Ah - I see. Not sure I agree though. Where did I say he should buy it?

Observer
04-01-15, 17:59
Food and shelter are basic human rights. You can tell a lot about people who aim to profit from it.

Mrs Steve R
04-01-15, 18:07
Food and shelter are basic human rights. You can tell a lot about people who aim to profit from it.Don't you be collecting any rain water mind, it does not belong to you. http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/nono.gif

04-01-15, 18:17
Food and shelter are basic human rights. You can tell a lot about people who aim to profit from it.Should people build houses for others for free?

Observer
04-01-15, 18:37
Food and shelter are basic human rights. You can tell a lot about people who aim to profit from it.
Should people build houses for others for free?I am talking about fleecing people through exploitation http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif

Dr Tim Muff
04-01-15, 18:39
Should people build houses for others for free?Here's a cute video of a kitten who really, really wants to play (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlr9Jhy6A9k)

Mrs Steve R
04-01-15, 18:52
Should people build houses for others for free?
Here's a cute video of a kitten who really, really wants to play (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlr9Jhy6A9k) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSHFtiqqqrU

Dr Tim Muff
04-01-15, 18:56
Here's a cute video of a kitten who really, really wants to play (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlr9Jhy6A9k)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSHFtiqqqrU (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSHFtiqqqrU) http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif

Elysium
04-01-15, 19:02
I am talking about fleecing people through exploitation http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif Are you suggesting that people that build houses are exploring people?

Mrs Steve R
04-01-15, 19:06
I am talking about fleecing people through exploitation http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif
Are you suggesting that people that build houses are exploring people?http://www.forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/uploads/64/Oooohmatron.jpg

Dr Tim Muff
04-01-15, 19:07
I am talking about fleecing people through exploitation http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif
Are you suggesting that people that build houses are exploring people? http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif

Elysium
04-01-15, 19:16
Are you suggesting that people that build houses are exploring people?
http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif Sorry to upset you.

Mrs Steve R
04-01-15, 19:17
http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif
Apologies, Timothy, that should have stated exploited. http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif

Dr Tim Muff
04-01-15, 19:19
http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif
Apologies, Timothy, that should have stated exploited.http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif = my pleasure

Rufus T. Firefly
04-01-15, 19:48
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/until-the-uk-int roduces-rent-controls-so-many-of-us-will-continue-to-face-a- lifetime-of-exploitation-9956512.html (http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/until-the-uk-introduces-rent-controls-so-many-of-us-will-continue-to-face-a-lifetime-of-exploitation-9956512.html)

Mick the Miller
04-01-15, 20:08
I'm not sure why you think rents would be reduced? The competition to buy from a shortage of housing stock is still very much present, but is just skewed heavily in favour of landlords. Have I missed something?You again are hypocritical. However that is typical of you .

LoudounSquareLurker
04-01-15, 20:13
OOps! I meant interest only http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/getmycoat.gifIt appears that the market for rented accommodation in the UK has been artificially manipulated by government policy. If the hundreds of thousands of rents paid or supplemented by the benefit system had not been. Then rented accommodation would not be so unaffordable.

Ray Mears
04-01-15, 20:16
I'm not sure why you think rents would be reduced? The competition to buy from a shortage of housing stock is still very much present, but is just skewed heavily in favour of landlords. Have I missed something?I agree that there has been a lot of subsidy that has maintained rent levels, but the reality is that house price rises in recent years have far exceeded rent rises, partly (in my opinion) as a result of people investing in BTL.

ragbone
04-01-15, 21:01
In the meantime the buy-to-let market is benefiting from some serious advantages over the buy-to-occupy market. Interest free mortgages, offsetting mortgage interest against tax for example - available to the landlord, but not the owner occupier. This inevitably skews the market and pushes both rental and purchase prices skyward.Labour are going to Cap the rents ( I hope ) so poorer folk who can't get a mortgage, are not robbed blind ,whilst landlords get richer

05-01-15, 09:50
These landlords who rob people blind, is this your opinion or do you have evidence? The reason I ask is that most landlords' financial affairs are not in the public domain. Typical yields are around 5-6% so it's not the gold plated investment some people like to make out

I'm also interested to hear how labour plan to cap rents?

Barry Dragon
05-01-15, 10:07
Only scanned briefly through the thread and the article - someone who's read both fully may be able to correct me.
From what I believe, no way in a million years has the 'vast majority of new housing built since 2000 has been bought by private landlords' (I know you haven't said that, but I've seen a few mentions of buy-to-let)I would tend to agree that tenants rights need to be improved.