PDA

View Full Version : Bookies are never wrong

ksbenchpwllheli
18-01-15, 11:00
after yday's result....and Slade 5th favourite manager to leave (and I think 2 of them are in line for qpr job!

kevinNugentsHead
18-01-15, 11:03
If bookies were never wrong they'd be skint inside an hour

Pug
18-01-15, 12:29
Just a couple of weeks ago we were 40/1 for relegation, odd firming up as Slades team takes shape.

@CCFCProgrammes
18-01-15, 12:41
Personally think we will in the bottom 5 at the end of the season

saganspirit
18-01-15, 12:47
14 points needed from 20 games - we'll finish lower half of the table but there at least 3 worse teams than us.

Nemo
18-01-15, 12:49
If Bookies are never wrong how come they had us as 9/2 favourites to win the league at the start of the season? The relegation odds are far too big in my view. I would have us as about 8/1

Eric Cartman
18-01-15, 12:50
If bookies were never wrong they'd be skint inside an hourThat doesn't make sense

kevinNugentsHead
18-01-15, 12:56
That doesn't make senseYes it does. If bookies were never wrong the favourite would always win. People would take them to the cleaners.

Nemo
18-01-15, 13:04
That doesn't make sense
Yes it does. If bookies were never wrong the favourite would always win. People would take them to the cleaners.I don't think you understand bookmaking or odds.If bookies knew what every result was going to be they wouldn't take any bets on the winner. They would still go out of business though because people would soon stop betting with them when they realised they were only allowed to bet on losers

Vimana.
18-01-15, 13:06
If bookies were never wrong there would be no precept , nor market for betting in the first place.

ksbenchpwllheli
18-01-15, 13:16
only one way to settle this. Favourite for correct score with the bookies today is West Ham 1 hull 0

kevinNugentsHead
18-01-15, 13:45
That doesn't make sense
Yes it does. If bookies were never wrong the favourite would always win. People would take them to the cleaners.
I don't think you understand bookmaking or odds.If bookies knew what every result was going to be they wouldn't take any bets on the winner. They would still go out of business though because people would soon stop betting with them when they realised they were only allowed to bet on losersSo we've established that bookies get things wrong then?

insider
18-01-15, 14:06
Bookies are not wrong they are presenting the odds that are dictated by punters placing bets.
Fvcking hell there are some belligerent idiots oh here fair play.
Glad i gave up betting nearly 3 years ago

kevinNugentsHead
18-01-15, 14:18
<b>Bookies are not wrong they are presenting the odds that are dictated by punters placing bets. edit: this point only really applies to big established markets with lots of turnover. In terms of early horse prices for instance sometimes they get it very wrong as anyone who follows thebeesknees could testify http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif

insider
18-01-15, 14:20
Bookies are not wrong they are presenting the odds that are dictated by punters placing bets.
Fvcking hell there are some belligerent idiots oh here fair play. changing your tune aren`t you ?

poc
18-01-15, 15:01
only one way to settle this. Favourite for correct score with the bookies today is West Ham 1 hull 0theyve scored 3 so far

kevinNugentsHead
18-01-15, 15:12
Fvcking hell there are some belligerent idiots oh here fair play.
Glad i gave up betting nearly 3 years agoThe context of this thread was that a bookmakers odds are an accurate way of judging a teams performance. I disagree with that.

chris
19-01-15, 00:31
there is always one haha, poor old cardiff there is more chance of haleys comet landing on your chimney pal than cardiff going down http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif , the three relegation places will be fought out between the following clubs blackpool, millwall, rotherham, wigan and leeds. http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif

and leeds are a far bigger club than cardiff will ever be, maybe next year pal. http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif

Top Gun Chippy
19-01-15, 04:24
If Bookies are never wrong how come they had us as 9/2 favourites to win the league at the start of the season? The relegation odds are far too big in my view. I would have us as about 8/1Cant see the later happening but the bottom half one has a real chance.

Eric Cartman
26-01-15, 21:28
That doesn't make sense
Yes it does. If bookies were never wrong the favourite would always win. People would take them to the cleaners.If the favourite was priced 1.00 then yes you are correct. Otherwise no you are incorrect.