PDA

View Full Version : FAO builders etc

Optimistic Nick
27-01-15, 16:38
I have a 1930s semi. There is a brick wall across the middle of the house, dividing the living room and the dining room. This wall goes up to the second floor.

We are knocking it out (ground floor level) to create a through room. We are ordering a steel beam to support the wall above where we are knocking out- a structural engineer has designed that. The opening will span about 3.7m. The builder said we could rest the beam on a 150mm nib on the party wall side, and say a 200mm bearing on the other side (it will sit on the wall dividing the dining room from the hallway.

The engineer is concerned about the bearing load under the padstones on the 150mm nib and is suggesting a far larger bearing. However, loads of people have this through-room and I'm sure a lot of them have what I wanted (i.e. a small nib to create as big an opening as possible.

In your experience, would you be uneasy about using a 150mm nib to support a beam spanning 3.7m? Would you normally expect to use larger supports? I need to get the notice in to building control tomorrow morning as the builder needs to start on Monday, so I really need to work out which way to do this. The drawings are based on the builder's approach i.e. a 150mm bearing on the party wall side, so if that's not going to work I need to get new drawings done asap! Thanks!

qccfc
27-01-15, 16:43
I have a 1930s semi. There is a brick wall across the middle of the house, dividing the living room and the dining room. This wall goes up to the second floor. Id go with the engineer. If the calcs are failing then its risky to put it up.

ian gibson
27-01-15, 16:50
From what I can remember, 150 mm is the minimum requirement in building regs.

paslode
27-01-15, 17:12
150mm is the minimum bearing re building regs but lately planning officers have started getting quite arsey about it the last couple we have done we built a nine inch pier tied into the existing brickwork (using concrete commons for strength).
How much of an impact on the final finish would it have if you went with that?

@CCFCProgrammes
27-01-15, 17:14
Go with the calcs. Ok engineers like to over compensate but its better safe than sorry

Optimistic Nick
27-01-15, 17:17
150mm is the minimum bearing re building regs but lately planning officers have started getting quite arsey about it the last couple we have done we built a nine inch pier tied into the existing brickwork (using concrete commons for strength).Thanks all.

Wrong Side of the Severn
27-01-15, 17:45
I've done it on 100mm but in order to get a completion certificate from Building Control you will have to go with the Structural Engineer's calculation. I'm not a builder but I've renovated a few houses but these days you have to comply with regs that did not exist or matter years ago.

El Gwapo
27-01-15, 18:10
150mm is the minimum bearing re building regs but lately planning officers have started getting quite arsey about it the last couple we have done we built a nine inch pier tied into the existing brickwork (using concrete commons for strength).Its got nowt to do with planning officers, you must mean building inspectors surely

splott parker
27-01-15, 18:17
Remember also that the structural engineer's report containing the calculations should also accompany your house deeds, should you sell it could cause you problems if you stray from these and the buyer's surveyor picks up the alteration.

nugent
28-01-15, 08:46
I'm currently studying engineering in uni, the calculations we got to do is bonkers. Force, stress, compression, tension, gravitational potential energy etc.
Do what the engineer says. Fack the builders.

BLUETIT
28-01-15, 08:52
I'm currently studying engineering in uni, the calculations we got to do is bonkers. Force, stress, compression, tension, gravitational potential energy etc.B 2 B. http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/ayatollah.gif

jbgnuts
28-01-15, 11:29
I have a 1930s semi. There is a brick wall across the middle of the house, dividing the living room and the dining room. This wall goes up to the second floor. I would be more concerned with beam resting on partition wall between hall/dining room usually just single brick you would need a support pillar there to0 min 225mm tied into the existing wall, or you could put longer beam from main wall to party wall, but there are problems getting this length beam in situ.

Vinny Riley
28-01-15, 12:52
I'm currently studying engineering in uni, the calculations we got to do is bonkers. Force, stress, compression, tension, gravitational potential energy etc.I thought you were a joiner whose only studies were astronomical star charts!

Optimistic Nick
28-01-15, 14:09
I have a 1930s semi. There is a brick wall across the middle of the house, dividing the living room and the dining room. This wall goes up to the second floor.
We are knocking it out (ground floor level) to create a through room. We are ordering a steel beam to support the wall above where we are knocking out- a structural engineer has designed that. The opening will span about 3.7m. The builder said we could rest the beam on a 150mm nib on the party wall side, and say a 200mm bearing on the other side (it will sit on the wall dividing the dining room from the hallway. It will sit on single brick thickness at both ends. would you normally expect some sort of support column at each side too, then? That sounds sensible but there is no foundation off which to build it.

Steve R
28-01-15, 14:24
I'm currently studying engineering in uni, the calculations we got to do is bonkers. Force, stress, compression, tension, gravitational potential energy etc.
Do what the engineer says. Fack the builders. Fixed your post. http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif

nugent
28-01-15, 16:29
Do what the engineer says. Fack the builders.
I thought you were a joiner whose only studies were astronomical star charts and Manchester United 1975-Present!I support Bournemouth.

paslode
28-01-15, 18:28
150mm is the minimum bearing re building regs but lately planning officers have started getting quite arsey about it the last couple we have done we built a nine inch pier tied into the existing brickwork (using concrete commons for strength).
How much of an impact on the final finish would it have if you went with that?My bad!

blue matt
28-01-15, 19:25
We are knocking it out (ground floor level) to create a through room. We are ordering a steel beam to support the wall above where we are knocking out- a structural engineer has designed that. The opening will span about 3.7m. The builder said we could rest the beam on a 150mm nib on the party wall side, and say a 200mm bearing on the other side (it will sit on the wall dividing the dining room from the hallway. would surely need a brick pillar built either end ? ? ?

bobh
28-01-15, 21:57
Could you hide the nib by fixing an arch (or part-arch) over it?
It might look better, and shouldn't cost much.