PDA

View Full Version : Whitts and Gunnar, is it over?

The Penguin
09-02-15, 15:11
Whitts has been played further forward where i would have hoped he could influence games and roll back the clock. Gunnarson has been employed to protect the back four.
Neither has at any stage this season looked remotely up to the job - along with Noone who finally saw himself dropped. Did we improve without Noone? Well these days a point is like gold dust as we struggle on.
Ive said it for a long time, and been shouted down for a long time too, but midfield is where our problems begin and end on the pitch.
Diamond, 3 man, 4-2-2 nothing has made either player look capable. No pace, no energy and too easily beaten they are our stalwart weak links.

Its time to change now, give someone else a go.

saganspirit
09-02-15, 15:16
Definitely improved without Noone. Gunnarson is a strange one, leading Iceland to a good position in their Euro group and beating the Dutch. Anyone know his role in their national team? Obv midfield but where?

Cretin Hop
09-02-15, 15:19
Fed up of hearing about this diamond formation.

Let's go back to the lob sided midfield of Lennny Lawrence's time instead http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/sherlock.gif

The Penguin
09-02-15, 15:59
Fed up of hearing about this diamond formation.I think we could play 3-5-1-1 and still lose the midfield.

Jimmy the Jock
09-02-15, 16:34
we are losing games in midfield. Just about the whole world can see it. What Slade sees in Gunnerson is way way above me.
Whittingham has a degree of skill and can still make a pass.
Whatever the answer ,the question is what are we going to do to take some kind of control in midfield.
I recently took a young lady to the football who would be the first to admit she is not a big football fan.
Even she pointed out we were getting over run in midfield....

Dylbird
09-02-15, 16:43
from what i saw (highlights) sheff wed missed 3 or four really straight forward chances, snatched at from 15 yards out. could easily have been 4-1. doyle looked half decent mind.

Matty P
09-02-15, 16:48
Potentially with all the comings and goings Slade has been looking to the senior members of the squad to set an example and provide a constant in the team, unfortunately, this hasn't really worked, for me it's Whitts or Gunnarson, potentially neither.

If I was picking the side for tomorrow it would be,

Marshall

Peltier
Manga
Morrison
Malone

McAleny
O'Keefe
Adeyemi
Whitts
Noone

Doyle

Potentially Harris for Whitts with McAleny playing ahead of O'Keefe and Adeyemi but Harris still concerns me in terms of his defensive ability leaving his full back exposed.

The Cat
09-02-15, 17:17
from what i saw (highlights) sheff wed missed 3 or four really straight forward chances, snatched at from 15 yards out. could easily have been 4-1. doyle looked half decent mind.In fairness you could say the same about us, Doyle's 2 chances should have been scored (although for his first one the bad pitch may have had something to do with it)

Sloop_Jon_Bee
09-02-15, 17:30
To answer the OP. No it is not over, but IMO it should be. If i was picking the team, there would be no place for either of these under-performers.
Spedger

Trigger
09-02-15, 17:31
Both have been a shadow of their former selves. I remember both contributing massively in the promotion year.

Whittingham is a difficult one to decide on; the fact is for a team struggling overall he has been effective with his assists. For me however other than a corner or free kick finding the head of Jones, the rest of the match he seems fairly anonymous these days. In a side struggling so much though it would be difficult to take him or Jones out of the side when we rely so much on set pieces just to keep close in most matches.

Gunnarsson hasn't really looked like scoring or seemingly getting anywhere near a player to tackle. There are many occasions where an opposition player will skip past him before he seems to even react.

I think individually they aren't bad players but in the 4 we usually play in there it's blatantly obvious to me anyway, that they can't be played together.

Would consider them both for a 5, I would like to see something like a 4-2-3-1 where we would have two sitting and then 3 attack minded players infront to go past Jones/Doyle.

This area of the picth seems to have been problematic for a long time, I'm sure there were concerns during the Jones era too in between the days of Scimeca and Mutch, either of which on their day were far superior in centre midfield to what we have now.

Jeff Mansfield
09-02-15, 17:51
They've both been in the thick of it, taking the hammerings and the criticism, so they must be feeling the strain. Who wouldn't? Give them both a break, they need it, and use Adeyemi and Ralls.

The Penguin
09-02-15, 20:25
Both have been a shadow of their former selves. I remember both contributing massively in the promotion year. The point though, is that without Whittingham and Gunnarson we might not necessarily be reliant on free-kicks corners and long throws. It's self-defeating because what they offer is at the expense of do very much more.

Eric the Half a Bee
09-02-15, 21:41
Both have been a shadow of their former selves. I remember both contributing massively in the promotion year.
Whittingham is a difficult one to decide on; the fact is for a team struggling overall he has been effective with his assists. For me however other than a corner or free kick finding the head of Jones, the rest of the match he seems fairly anonymous these days. In a side struggling so much though it would be difficult to take him or Jones out of the side when we rely so much on set pieces just to keep close in most matches.I know I've harped on about this before but his last free kick goal came well over 2 years ago. I don't feel his game has the edge that it used to have. Long gone are the brilliant, even inspirational moments that won games - world class goals and unstoppable free kicks. Whittingham without those moments of sheer genius is barely an average Championship midfielder. He used to provide moments of brilliance without even thinking about it - now he doesn't at all. It was those moments that set him apart as a major talent and a hero on the terraces. I wonder if we'll ever see them again.

crazyhorse
09-02-15, 21:57
The Premiership ruined the pair, when they spent most of their time on the back foot. Problem now is they are still in a backward mode.

Jimmy the Jock
09-02-15, 22:00
The Premiership ruined the pair, when they spent most of their time on the back foot. Problem now is they are still in a backward mode.This post is an example of why drinking is bad for you children.....

Jimmy the Jock
09-02-15, 22:03
They've both been in the thick of it, taking the hammerings and the criticism, so they must be feeling the strain. Who wouldn't? Give them both a break, they need it, and use Adeyemi and Ralls.I doesnt have to be the end ,just change it ,leave them out and lets have a look at something/anything different. please pretty please Mr Slade..

Eric the Half a Bee
09-02-15, 22:10
The Premiership ruined the pair, when they spent most of their time on the back foot. Problem now is they are still in a backward mode.Ever done stand-up? You're a natural! http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif

A Quiet Monkfish
09-02-15, 22:12
Whitts has been played further forward where i would have hoped he could influence games and roll back the clock. Gunnarson has been employed to protect the back four.Whittingham and Gunnarson cannot never dropped - it was one of the conditions of granting planning permission for the CCS.

NYCBlue
09-02-15, 22:15
No. Whittingham is only 30. He's one of the best players we've ever had. He might be the best long-serving player we've ever had.

Eric the Half a Bee
09-02-15, 22:17
No. Whittingham is only 30. He's one of the best players we've ever had. He might be the best long-serving player we've ever had. Do you think that he deserves a regular starting place due to his current level of performances or whether he's been one of the best players we've ever had?

crazyhorse
09-02-15, 22:18
The Premiership ruined the pair, when they spent most of their time on the back foot. Problem now is they are still in a backward mode.
Ever done stand-up? You're a natural! http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif Another thing you only watch the highlights so what makes you an expert on players performance?

Jimmy the Jock
09-02-15, 22:18
No. Whittingham is only 30. He's one of the best players we've ever had. He might be the best long-serving player we've ever had. The length of his service is relevant .....? .....Why?

Eric the Half a Bee
09-02-15, 22:23
Ever done stand-up? You're a natural! http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif
Do you agree they went into the Premiership playing well then came out of the Premiership playing not so well?I'd argue that he's never quite been the same player that he was when Dave Jones was with us. Successive managers have tried to make him more of a complete midfielder while Jones tried to encourage his individual brilliance. It's hardly any surprise that Whittingham's magic moments since Jones left have been few and far between.

rich munn
09-02-15, 22:33
Ever done stand-up? You're a natural! http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif
Do you agree they went into the Premiership playing well then came out of the Premiership playing not so well?
I'll answer for you. YES http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/ayatollah.gif

NYCBlue
09-02-15, 22:54
No. Whittingham is only 30. He's one of the best players we've ever had. He might be the best long-serving player we've ever had.
OK perhaps I am being a little slow here ..Perhaps?

Jimmy the Jock
10-02-15, 00:35
OK perhaps I am being a little slow here ..
His age is relevant ....?.......... How?AAAAhhhhhhh...... http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/getmycoat.gif

Spooky Tree
10-02-15, 00:58
If it hastens a return to proper football I'm all for it.

surge
10-02-15, 01:04
Whatever your opinion Whitts (especially) and Gunnar (less so) are proper City players.

Jimmy the Jock
10-02-15, 01:13
Whatever your opinion Whitts (especially) and Gunnar (less so) are proper City players. Get a bit of snow on the ball.

jockinwales
10-02-15, 01:15
I sincerly F*****G hope so. It does not matter if they play out the remainder of the season as we will definatly not get promoted or relaguted. Time to go, thanks for the good times http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/wave.gif http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/wave.gif http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/wave.gif http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/wave.gif

surge
10-02-15, 01:17
Whatever your opinion Whitts (especially) and Gunnar (less so) are proper City players.
Give the ball away a lot?If you're someone who prefers Guerra or Cala then we don't support the club in the same way. If you're someone who would also prefer a player who wants to be here and is talented then we have cross over.

Rock_Flock_of_Five
10-02-15, 03:27
His age is relevant ....?.......... How?His age has no relevance and neither does his length of service. Football is about the here and now - Whittingham just doesn't cut it anymore.

EdinburghBlue
10-02-15, 08:15
Did it ever start?

surge
10-02-15, 09:25
His age is relevant ....?.......... How?
The length of his service is relevant .....? .....Why?Who starts is about the here and now. How you treat that person is about their attitude and length of service.

The Penguin
10-02-15, 16:53
His age is relevant ....?.......... How?
The length of his service is relevant .....? .....Why?
Perhaps? We cant keep them in the side for sentimental reasons - if that was the case we might as well go and fetch Carl Dale back.

jon1959
10-02-15, 17:06
One of the main arguments for keeping Whitts in the team on current form is his dead ball ability.

At Hillsborough I didn't see him take a single free kick. Malone took them all.

Whitts needs to be rested. Same for Gunnar. I hope both would come back better for it. In the meantime Adeyemi and Ralls have shown that they have the ability and the energy to make central midfield much more effective.

Jimmy the Jock
10-02-15, 19:14
Both playing again tonight , it's unbelievable ..