PDA

View Full Version : Ninian Park Easter Monday April 1960

tapscott
07-04-15, 20:29
Very different feel, place and atmosphere to where we were at yesterday,when you remember that triumphant occasion 55 years ago when City beat Aston Villa to gain promotion to the then First Division, you sometimes wonder what has happened to us the human race.
Allright , then probably so much more innocent but definitely more defining with our ways and ambitions.
Ironically its only two years ago that Bolton were last at the CCS when Noone equalised for the City in a 1.1 draw ,and after the final whistle we all celebrated the Championship title and promotion to the premiership.
Will the Club and its supporters again have the drive ,universal support and ambition to repeat those two ocassions,how long will it take if so.

Arfur Europe
07-04-15, 21:03
Very different feel, place and atmosphere to where we were at yesterday,when you remember that triumphant occasion 55 years ago when City beat Aston Villa to gain promotion to the then First Division, you sometimes wonder what has happened to us the human race.Edit: I also blame Sky for the over-exposure of football and as a result the 'product' seeping into mainstream everything for taking the shine off something that felt much more personal, and rare.

Armitage Shanks
07-04-15, 21:25
Totally agree with the above. The 90s was my time eating drinking sleeping Cardiff city, going there with my best mate. Now life gets in the way of a 41 yr old fan. Plus my best mate has buggered off to watch Merthyr. Thanks Vincent.

Taunton Blue Genie
07-04-15, 21:59
Very different feel, place and atmosphere to where we were at yesterday,when you remember that triumphant occasion 55 years ago when City beat Aston Villa to gain promotion to the then First Division, you sometimes wonder what has happened to us the human race.
Allright , then probably so much more innocent but definitely more defining with our ways and ambitions.Bottom end scrunt?

Steve the Tea
08-04-15, 03:25
Very different feel, place and atmosphere to where we were at yesterday,when you remember that triumphant occasion 55 years ago when City beat Aston Villa to gain promotion to the then First Division, you sometimes wonder what has happened to us the human race.http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/Drinking_trink25.gif

NECS
08-04-15, 05:36
I was there as well. I stood at the Canton End with my Dad. There was a section on the Grandstand side which was for standing then and the steps were were much larger in height than the rest of the terracing so even though I was seven at the time I had a good view of Graham Moore's winner even though it was scored at the Grange End. The win sent us up and put us top even though in true City style we cocked up the last few games and eventually finished runners up to Villa that season.

nocsoc
08-04-15, 13:05
I was a nine year old in the Boy's Enclosure in the Grandstand that day. I had a perfect view of Moore's half volley which won the day and promotion.
I remember the pitch invasion at the end of the game and the celebrations in Cardiff. It was truly a landmark day and occasion. However, as always with City, it was not long before storm clouds were gathering.
Instead of the Club investing in new players when in Division 1 and adding some quality to our squad, we very quickly sold Moore to Chelsea in 1961 for 35k and others of quality were soon to exit.
Worse still, we stupidly let our captain Malloy leave for the sake of a few extra quid each week, and we soon left with a rump of a squad with little chance of survival in the top division. The prevailing feeling I recall at the time was one of unease, if not the ever present anticipation of failure.
The inevitable relegation followed after two seasons. Thereafter as before, the Club suffered badly from a lack of investment and ambition. When in 1969/70 we were firm favourites for promotion, we sold Toshack to Liverpool and thereby threw away a second golden opportunity at a stroke. My feeling at the time Toshack was sold was one of anger and incredulity at such stupidity and evident lack of ambition. In the years which followed, things went from bad to worse for the most part.
It was not until Vincent Tan arrived upon the scene that for the first time in my lifetime, and very probably the history of the Club, that very unexpectently, a person came forward who was prepared to invest heavily in the Club.
Not only did Vincent Tan write a very substantial cheque to save us from an impending administration at the hands of HMRC on the very day of the final Court hearing, he has since paid off all the Club's creditors and now invested over 150 million pounds. Unfortunately this investment has not to date proved enough to see us established in the Premier League. I hope however there are others like myself who are old enough to appreciate that such benefactors as he are the very rare exception, particularly so in the case of Cardiff City. I hope that he can be persuaded to continue to invest, notwithstanding the disappointment of relegation last season.

GRUMPYS DEN
08-04-15, 14:50
I was there as well. I stood at the Canton End with my Dad. There was a section on the Grandstand side which was for standing then and the steps were were much larger in height than the rest of the terracing so even though I was seven at the time I had a good view of Graham Moore's winner even though it was scored at the Grange End. The win sent us up and put us top even though in true City style we cocked up the last few games and eventually finished runners up to Villa that season.We played Plymouth at home the following Tuesday.They formed a guard of honour to clap us onto the pitch and then proceeded to beat us 2-0. http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/tong.gif

saganspirit
08-04-15, 15:25
I was a nine year old in the Boy's Enclosure in the Grandstand that day. I had a perfect view of Moore's half volley which won the day and promotion. Really?