PDA

View Full Version : O/T The Masters

Riled Taff
08-04-15, 08:43
I've only got seriously into the sport relatively recently, and obviously will be rooting for McIlroy to complete the career slam this weekend.

To me, with the pressure that's on him and almost every media report referring to it, if he manages it he will become almost unstoppable as he's unlikely to face as much pressure again for some time in his career (until surpassing Woods and Nicklaus become relevant).

But my question is, what kind of media hype surrounded Woods before he completed his career slam back in 2000? As a passive observer back then I don't remember anything about it beforehand and I'm vague at best as to how much of a circus there was after he achieved it.

I'm interested because conversely to what I've said above, if Rory doesn't do it this year it will gradually become a monkey on his back and I feel eventually it could elude him.

Just re-read that last par and realised I'm saying if he doesn't do it this year he probably never will http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif Not quite, what I mean, more that if he doesn't do it in the next couple of years it will become increasingly difficult for him

Rocco Siffredi
08-04-15, 12:08
I've only got seriously into the sport relatively recently, and obviously will be rooting for McIlroy to complete the career slam this weekend.Racist reported

TH63
08-04-15, 12:22
I think there was the same hype aimed at Woods, but I think Woods was far more consistent in his prime than Rory has been to be honest. Rory is ridiculously talented, no question, but when it goes wrong for him, it goes wrong big time.
Tee to green, when he's on it, nobody can touch him, if he has a weakness it's his putting, and that's one weakness you can't have at Augusta.

The hype is of course mental.

Nobody's ever going to reach Jack Nicklaus's record in the majors anyway.

Richyrich
08-04-15, 12:55
I've only got seriously into the sport relatively recently, and obviously will be rooting for McIlroy to complete the career slam this weekend.Mcllroy is no prime Woods but In short yes, Westwood is a prime example of monkeys on back.

Butterwick Blue
08-04-15, 13:09
Woods has grown up with hype, the media swarm around him, maybe even more so this week, first tournament back after a long injury layoff. Feel sorry for Jamie Donaldson being paired with him for the opening two rounds, will be difficult enough without the circus that follows Woods.

Riled Taff
08-04-15, 13:18
I think there was the same hype aimed at Woods, but I think Woods was far more consistent in his prime than Rory has been to be honest. Rory is ridiculously talented, no question, but when it goes wrong for him, it goes wrong big time.That's a bold statement re Nicklaus's record though? I really do think McIlroy can kick on even further if he does win this week, it would certainly suggest to me that he can handle enormous amounts of pressure

lardy
08-04-15, 13:41
I think there was the same hype aimed at Woods, but I think Woods was far more consistent in his prime than Rory has been to be honest. Rory is ridiculously talented, no question, but when it goes wrong for him, it goes wrong big time.
Tee to green, when he's on it, nobody can touch him, if he has a weakness it's his putting, and that's one weakness you can't have at Augusta.People thought Woods would comfortably beat Nicklaus' record and who would have believed he would be outside the top 100 players while still in his 30s. I think it's true to say there was an auroa around Woods that Rory doesn't have.

qccfc
08-04-15, 13:44
Tee to green, when he's on it, nobody can touch him, if he has a weakness it's his putting, and that's one weakness you can't have at Augusta.Also add in that strength is now so important for golf, and the players drop off as they get older with younger people overtaking them.

Riled Taff
08-04-15, 14:19
Tee to green, when he's on it, nobody can touch him, if he has a weakness it's his putting, and that's one weakness you can't have at Augusta.
The hype is of course mental. Woods' issues are not all to do with age - obviously the watershed moment was when his affairs become public but also the punishment he put his body through with his US Marines obsession etc

qccfc
08-04-15, 14:24
Nobody's ever going to reach Jack Nicklaus's record in the majors anyway.As has been mentioned it was always assumed that Woods would easily eclipse Nicklaus, but sport isnt that simple and golf with its large amount of competitors is not given to racking up slams.

Riled Taff
08-04-15, 14:35
Can't argue with what you're saying there really. Someone said on the radio the other day that in his prime, people expected Woods to win every time he turned up at an event where the same is not true with Rory.What I am saying is it's a big statement to say it will never be eclipsed by anyone, we don't know who's around the corner, and I'd like to think Exiled Taff Jnr could go on to achieve great things (if he's ever born http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif )

qccfc
08-04-15, 14:42
Can't argue with what you're saying there really. Someone said on the radio the other day that in his prime, people expected Woods to win every time he turned up at an event where the same is not true with Rory.
So you reckon there was as much focus on the slam for Woods ahead of the 2000 Open as there is on Rory this week?What Rory is seeing now is the press trying to invent a new messiah into the game of golf, but he isn't quite there yet, in fact Woods still seems to be getting a lot of attention himself.

Richyrich
08-04-15, 14:44
Rory's falling out of love with golf already, I just can't see him sustaining his form for the length of time required to approach Wood's majors, nevermind Nicklaus's record.

Riled Taff
08-04-15, 14:52
Can't argue with what you're saying there really. Someone said on the radio the other day that in his prime, people expected Woods to win every time he turned up at an event where the same is not true with Rory.
So you reckon there was as much focus on the slam for Woods ahead of the 2000 Open as there is on Rory this week?
That's a bold statement re Nicklaus's record though? I really do think McIlroy can kick on even further if he does win this week, it would certainly suggest to me that he can handle enormous amounts of pressureSome good points there as well, certainly your last point - the pressure and hype afforded to McIlroy has certainly been diluted by Woods' reappearance. It means the slam is not the only story ahead of this masters.

TH63
08-04-15, 15:24
Tee to green, when he's on it, nobody can touch him, if he has a weakness it's his putting, and that's one weakness you can't have at Augusta.Factor in that in Jack's time, they didn't have private jets and lackies, and that JAck still managed to find time to have six kids AND missed a lot of tournaments in order to stay home with his family.

NECS
08-04-15, 16:30
The short answer for the hype is because he's British ( except when he wants to be Irish like in next year's Olympics when we couldn't give a toss about him ).

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif

Howl
08-04-15, 17:32
Jack's record will stand forever. I'd bet my house on that.

Also, in terms of hype and pressure, Rory was under insane pressure a few seasons ago at Augusta where he was looking unstoppable until the tenth tee on his...third round was it? Where he hacked it into the trees and then imploded. That was his baptism by fire in terms of media and he took away a lot from it. If he doesn't win this weekend, it won't be because pressure got to him, it will be because it is incredibly hard to put together 72 holes of consistent golf, especially on that course, regardless of the form you take into the competition.

Frankel
08-04-15, 23:38
The greatest golfer ever to play the game was Ben Hogan. Nicklaus, woods and almost every other tournament winner's swing came from Hogan.

Anyone interested in the game of golf study Hogan. Check Moe Norman out as well, he didn't miss a fairway in 18 years.

saddle sniffer
08-04-15, 23:55
I've only got seriously into the sport relatively recentlyIt is not a sport it's a pastime. It's the men's equivalent of knitting.

Frankel
09-04-15, 00:01
I've only got seriously into the sport relatively recently
It is not a sport it's a pastime. It's the men's equivalent of knitting.Can you prove that? Doubt it very much, stick to banging your head down the shitty mate.

Riled Taff
09-04-15, 08:17
I've only got seriously into the sport relatively recently
It is not a sport it's a pastime. It's the men's equivalent of knitting.It's certainly be passing a disproportionate amount of my time this weekend, can't wait only a few hours to go now http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/clap.gif

purple haze2
09-04-15, 17:23
No doubt that McIlroy is an incredible talent, but to date he is nowhere near Nicklaus' level of consistency.

Jack was in the top 10 of the majors on 79 occasions. That's just ridiculous.

To date Rory has gained top 10 on 10 occasions in the last 6 years.

At that rate it will take Rory another 42 years to surpass Jack's level of consistency.

Rory has a different mentality to Jack and Tiger Woods, he's nowhere near as strong yet.

Butterwick Blue
09-04-15, 17:45
While Jacks record will never be beaten, lets not forget the company he played in. Whilst Palmer, Trevino, Player and later Watson were all decent players, basically that was it, there wasn't much else after those, even Jacklin got a look in from time to time.

Ballesteros was without doubt the most naturally gifted golfer I've ever witnessed, but where he sometimes let his head get the better of him, Woods was the more consistant.

El Gwapo
09-04-15, 18:58
still think of Woods as a youngish player so to refer to those of us who saw him in his early days and his prime as older fans makes me feel really old! http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/old.gif

purple haze2
09-04-15, 20:05
While Jacks record will never be beaten, lets not forget the company he played in. Whilst Palmer, Trevino, Player and later Watson were all decent players, basically that was it, there wasn't much else after those, even Jacklin got a look in from time to time.In 30 years time, how many of today's golfers will be remembered?

Cretin Hop
10-04-15, 10:48
Turned it off as fed up of seeing every shot played by one particular struggling golfer even though he was 8-9 shots off the lead whereas others in his group didn't get much of a look in, as well as many other golfers who were ahead of him. The US tv people are obsessed.

On the Majors debate, it has to be accepted that back in the day, the field was much less clogged up with players who had the ability to win a Major. In modern times and continuing, the field is so wide that virtually every one of the field can win, whereas back in Jack's day that was not the case.

Colonel Cærdiffi
10-04-15, 15:24
http://i.imgur.com/Obcj7vh.gif

Howl
10-04-15, 16:02
Was that on Wednesday Colonel??

Colonel Cærdiffi
10-04-15, 16:22
Was that on Wednesday Colonel??Yup http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/32227890

Sloop_Jon_Bee
10-04-15, 18:34
Jack's record will stand forever. I'd bet my house on that. Spedger