Vinny Riley
09-04-15, 23:14
Rip, a sad loss to cricket

ragbone
09-04-15, 23:16
Absolute legend in so many ways. RIPloved his rich commentary voice

NigelBlues
09-04-15, 23:26
Absolute legend in so many ways. RIPNot sure if it's modern tv and the standard of the visuals or the fact we only had 2 tv channels covering sport and a handful of commentators as kids but you can't say there are too many modern legends these days.

Richyrich
10-04-15, 00:05
84, not a bad innings.

RIP.

Rocco Siffredi
10-04-15, 00:17
Stumps. RIP

the other bob wilson
10-04-15, 04:19
I remember reading a book Richie Benaud had written. It was probably something like twenty years ago so he would have been in his early sixties at the time and yet what struck me was that he was so positive about the modern game and those who played it - there was no bitterness about the fact that his time as a player had gone, just an admiration for those who he thought in many cases played the game to a higher level than he had.

Another thing that always struck me about his commentary was that, if it were not for his accent, you would never have known where he was from. There are some good cricket commentators about these days, but, just as in other sports, the trend is now to almost be a cheerleader for your team.

Maybe it's because of what I grew up with, but I prefer commentators who use the tone of a neutral observer and tell me things about what I'm watching that I hadn't already realised - Richie Benaud was a master at that.

He was also a fine all rounder and an enterprising captain in a time when test cricket needed people who were bold in their decision making, but it's a testimony to his commentary that I daresay that most of the obituaries he will receive will concentrate primarily on that rather than his cricket career.

RIP.

ninian200
10-04-15, 05:10
Along with Bill McLaren and Murray Walker one of the great commentators.Many an hour of my youth was spent listening to test match cricket.RIP Richie.

Shergar
10-04-15, 05:29
Great innings, caught out gently on the boundary in a peaceful way. RIP..
A short clip of his later years he made for aussie tele.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGIuLFUt8U0

NECS
10-04-15, 05:35
Along with Bill McLaren and Murray Walker one of the great commentators.Many an hour of my youth was spent listening to test match cricket.RIP Richie.Indeed and I would include Peter O'Sullivan, Dan Maskell and Henry Longhurst in that list as well. In 1961 he was Aussie captain in the first Ashes series I took an interest in. I always admired the fact that he would only work for free to air television and rejected the Murdoch dollar. RIP Richie.

Majorblue
10-04-15, 05:53
Truly one of the greats.
A man who only added to the occasion as he knew when silence was appropriate.
An Ashes series coming up and that "morning everybody " will be missed.
Journalism and cricket's loss is that great pavilion in the sky's gain.
RIP Richie and thank you.

nugent
10-04-15, 06:15
RIP Richie boy

Heathccfc
10-04-15, 07:09
Don't really follow cricket now like I used to when younger, I was always Boycott when I went out to bat, Denis Amiss never played with a straight bat and was a bit too swashbuckling for me!!, Richie Beanaud was and will always be the voice of cricket , I'm sure the current guys do a fine job, I do remember Benaud abbreviating the Pakistan team to Pakis on TV when it was considered nothing more than a nickname.

Packerman
10-04-15, 07:19
RIP Richie, a true great

surge
10-04-15, 07:57
In 2005 the most exciting Ashes series was on TV Richie Benaud was commentating. Now the cricket is boring, it's on Sky and we won't hear Benaud again - the sport feels very far away.

RIP to the voice of cricket.

lardy
10-04-15, 08:13
The nice thing is that he will have known how popular he was when he was alive (though I'm sure his modesty wouldn't allow him to take it seriously). There are no empty plaudits now. Everyone was saying exactly the same about him for years.

GRUMPYS DEN
10-04-15, 08:31
He joins John Arlott and Brian Johnson in the commentary box in the sky.RIP Richie-a true legend of the game.

waynekerr55
10-04-15, 08:48
RIP what a true legend. Just 98 runs short of his century http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif

bryndon2
10-04-15, 09:17
Great player and commentator. Sad day.

Always remember his "I think it's actually hit him between the knee rolls" quips when a batsman got one in the balls.

TH63
10-04-15, 09:50
For me, watching cricket as a kid was like watching paint dry, but I can still recognise broadcasting genius when I hear it. For me he was part of a group that included Dan Maskell, Bill McLaren, David Coleman and Brian Johnson, voices that defined my childhood, men who brought the game/match we were watching to life, who instinctively knew how to say the right thing at the right time. If I could borrow a line that was spoken in memory of Brian Johnson, Summers will never be the same.

Hot Shot Hamish
10-04-15, 10:45
RIP Richie.

A great commentator and very modest man. Whenever I hear the word confectionary I think of Richie Benaud, and the moment Botham hit a big six against Australia described by RB. "Don't even bother looking for that, let alone chasing it. It's gone straight into the confectionary stall and out again."

BlueWales
10-04-15, 11:02
For me, watching cricket as a kid was like watching paint dry, but I can still recognise broadcasting genius when I hear it. For me he was part of a group that included Dan Maskell, Bill McLaren, David Coleman and Brian Johnson, voices that defined my childhood, men who brought the game/match we were watching to life, who instinctively knew how to say the right thing at the right time. If I could borrow a line that was spoken in memory of Brian Johnson, Summers will never be the same.Agreed , it is sad when day by day memories of our youths are diminished. RIP , a true great.

severncity
10-04-15, 11:08
RIP LEGEND

rich munn
10-04-15, 15:52
I remember reading a book Richie Benaud had written. It was probably something like twenty years ago so he would have been in his early sixties at the time and yet what struck me was that he was so positive about the modern game and those who played it - there was no bitterness about the fact that his time as a player had gone, just an admiration for those who he thought in many cases played the game to a higher level than he had. http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/ayatollah.gif

Vimana.
10-04-15, 16:40
I've never been a cricket fan/follower, but Richie Benaud seems to have been part of my growing up, and - as already said - one of the sounds that defined summer.

Bowled 'im. http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/sad.gif

Al the best Mr B.

Mario Miethig
10-04-15, 17:54
As a kid, I was never much of a Cricket fan, due to the likes of Chris Tavare and Boycott, the sport used to bore me rigid. But when I did watch, Richie Benauds commentary seemed to make what I was watching a lot better than what it was. Also, along with Bill McClaren you would never get a more unbiased commentator. RIP Richie Benaud, not just a sad loss to Cricket, but to sport commentary full stop. Another great commentator from my youth sadly no longer with us.