PDA

View Full Version : A frame with Sir Alex Ferguson

The Alien
27-04-15, 09:23
A really interesting interview as such with the great man.
Its about 17 minutes long but well worth a watch.
I think he hits the nail on the head when he compares Ronaldo and Messi.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02ptjlh/snooker-world- championship-interviews-sir-alex-ferguson-talks-snooker (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02ptjlh/snooker-world-championship-interviews-sir-alex-ferguson-talks-snooker)

BlueArmy 86
27-04-15, 09:35
I disagree with him. I think Messi would score a hat trick in any environment with any quality of player around him. Its Ronaldo who would pull a strop and throw his hands in the air when things arent going for him, especially now hes lost a yard of pace. Messi would grab ay game by the scruff of the neck..

NECS
27-04-15, 09:49
I wonder which one Ferguson managed.

jnc90
27-04-15, 10:15
Seems like a fair and inmpartial person to give his opinion on Messi v Ronaldo.

No question about who is the most talented or biggest asset to the team as whole if you ask me. Messi will be remembered with the likes of Maradonna and Pele. Ronaldo will be remebered in a class below those 3.

lardy
27-04-15, 10:23
It's 8 minutes in, for those who want to miss the reminiscing about Dennis Taylor in 1985 http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/yawn.gif

He says that Ronaldo could score a hat-trick for Doncaster but Messi would struggle as he's a 'Barcelona player'. This is clearly total rubbish.

lardy
27-04-15, 10:26
Seems like a fair and inmpartial person to give his opinion on Messi v Ronaldo.No one ever asks if Ronaldo is the best player of all time.

jnc90
27-04-15, 10:38
No question about who is the most talented or biggest asset to the team as whole if you ask me. Messi will be remembered with the likes of Maradonna and Pele. Ronaldo will be remebered in a class below those 3.Spot on. Think I'll pinch that quote for future discussions http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif

tommy31
27-04-15, 10:39
Seems like a fair and inmpartial person to give his opinion on Messi v Ronaldo.Messi was(is) the best player in the best team in the world. Ronaldo is the best player in the world

lardy
27-04-15, 10:47
I tend to agree with Ferguson on the hat trick theory, messi would get battered in league two, Ronald's would take it on and still do the business.But if there was some nutter who wanted to make a name for himself by crocking a superstar, then he'd be just as capable of doing it to Ronaldo as Messi. In short, whatever happened to one would happen to the other.

BlueArmy 86
27-04-15, 10:52
Why would Messi get battered? http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/homer.gif

I think you'd find it easier to knock Ronaldo off the ball that you would Messi. You would definitely find it easier to put Ronaldo on the floor.

jnc90
27-04-15, 11:19
No question about who is the most talented or biggest asset to the team as whole if you ask me. Messi will be remembered with the likes of Maradonna and Pele. Ronaldo will be remebered in a class below those 3.We are looking at 2 of the best of all time yes, but while Messi has a real claim to be THE best of all time, Ronaldo doesn't. There's more to football than just stats. A perfect example came just a few weeks back when Messi danced through half of the oppostion, set up neymar with an incredible defence splitting through ball who then kncoked it across the keeper for Suarex to tap in. Messi won't even get a tick nect to his assists for that. On the other hand Ronaldo (who actually probably couldn't have done what Messi did, but if he had) would have smashed the ball from 3 yards rather than passed and there's a 50/50 chance it would have gone in.

tommy31
27-04-15, 11:19
I tend to agree with Ferguson on the hat trick theory, messi would get battered in league two, Ronald's would take it on and still do the business.
Why would Messi get battered in League 2 and not Ronaldo?Messi' game is based on close control. Control that would be near impossible on a crap pitch in port vale or the like. The game is also a lot more physical over here compared to Spain, especially the lower divisions. He would get out muscled very often. Ronaldo on the other hand is very strong and powerful, who wouldn't get pushed off the ball as easily.

jnc90
27-04-15, 11:24
As for the comments about league 2, they are absolute nonsense I'm sorry. If the opposition were playing by the rules, i.e. not going out just to break thier legs in the first 2 minutes then both players would absolutely destory teams single handedly at that level.

If opposition players did employ the rough tactics and put mupltiple markers on each man then for me Messi would fair best. We've seen him dance away from 3 or 4 players crowding round him before, even when they're trycing to kick lumps out of him.

Ronaldo may be stronger physically but he's at his best when running at a single man and with a sight for goal. If there were 4 players surrounding him I don't think he's got the same skill or footwork ability as Messi to escape from a standing position. Apart from which we see Messi get hacked to pieces all the time and run on. Give Ronaldo a little kick in the shins and he's rolling around like a little girl.

Heisenberg
27-04-15, 11:27
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0gS5CshUDE

BlueArmy 86
27-04-15, 11:27
I tend to agree with Ferguson on the hat trick theory, messi would get battered in league two, Ronald's would take it on and still do the business.
Why would Messi get battered in League 2 and not Ronaldo?
I think what would actually happen if that hypothetical situation is this: You are seriously underestimating the strength of Messi, lad!

jnc90
27-04-15, 11:36
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0gS5CshUDE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0gS5CshUDE)Reminds me of George Best in the way that he rides some awful tackles and carries on like nothing, without ever seeming to give into the temptation of diving. Other players, including Ronnie, would go down at the slightest touch of some of those tackles!

jnc90
27-04-15, 11:38
Jamie Redknapp made another very good point a few weeks back when he was covering the CL game at Nou Camp. Other than everything else he has to his game, he's probably one of, if not the best passer of a ball the game has every seen. It may not be his main attributes we talk about but he's up there with Xavi and Scholes in terms of his long and short passing game. Another attrribute Ronaldo doesn't really have.

lardy
27-04-15, 11:46
Why would Messi get battered in League 2 and not Ronaldo?
I think what would actually happen if that hypothetical situation is this: Can't believe the Spanish never thought of trying to knock messi off the ball! They could learn from our league two, eh?

Vimana.
27-04-15, 11:46
No question about who is the most talented or biggest asset to the team as whole if you ask me. Messi will be remembered with the likes of Maradonna and Pele. Ronaldo will be remebered in a class below those 3.I cant be bothered with anything sir tomato head has to say about anything TBH.

Taunton Blue Genie
27-04-15, 11:50
Jamie Redknapp made another very good point a few weeks back when he was covering the CL game at Nou Camp. Other than everything else he has to his game, he's probably one of, if not the best passer of a ball the game has every seen. It may not be his main attributes we talk about but he's up there with Xavi and Scholes in terms of his long and short passing game. Another attrribute Ronaldo doesn't really have.When my good lady overheard a commentary that mentioned both Messi and Xavi she thought that the game sounded rather untidy.

lardy
As for the comments about league 2, they are absolute nonsense I'm sorry. If the opposition were playing by the rules, i.e. not going out just to break thier legs in the first 2 minutes then both players would absolutely destory teams single handedly at that level.It's an absolutely ridiculous suggestion to say Messi would struggle in League 2!

BlueArmy 86
I wonder how many threads on the internet have turned into a Messi vs Ronaldo debate http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif

lardy
27-04-15, 11:52
Can anyone remember the last time a Premier League club went to League 2 in the FA Cup and a player got 'battered'? You'd think the same principle would apply then. Or maybe all the nasty characters are saving it for the arrival of the two gods.

TruBlue
27-04-15, 11:53
I think Ferguson is just saying Ronaldo has it all, due to his physical strength and size I expect he'd cope better with the style of football in League 2.

Grange_27
27-04-15, 12:28
No question about who is the most talented or biggest asset to the team as whole if you ask me. Messi will be remembered with the likes of Maradonna and Pele. Ronaldo will be remebered in a class below those 3.Maradona then Pele are the best of all time but Messi is up there with Cruyff.

Veg1960
27-04-15, 13:51
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0gS5CshUDEGreat video that. His balance is just amazing

Eric Cartman
27-04-15, 14:10
Pretty clearly anyone who is destroying teams at a high level will also destroy teams at a lower level. It might take Messi or Ronaldo a few weeks/months to properly adapt but the pitch/weather/tackling wouldn't make a blind bit of difference but the lack of pace/skill/anticipation of the people they are playing against would.

I am not old enough to compare Ronaldo/Messi to Pele/Maradona.