PDA

View Full Version : Heysel 30 years today

Cardiff Irish
29-05-15, 17:14
Can't believe it's been 30 years, I remember watching this on the tv as a kid.

I still can't believe they played the game after it.

Good article in the Telegraph about it.

RIP to the 39.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11 635476/Heysel-disaster-of-1985-is-footballs-forgotten-traged y-and-Liverpool-and-Juventus-minimal-reaction-prolongs-hurt. html (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11635476/Heysel-disaster-of-1985-is-footballs-forgotten-tragedy-and-Liverpool-and-Juventus-minimal-reaction-prolongs-hurt.html)

Porth Pouncer
29-05-15, 18:03
It was a tragic accident

In my opinion the football authorities were at fault. The ground wasn't even conference standard with crumbling walls and terraces.

Jordi Culé
29-05-15, 19:06
It was a tragic accidentIt was Chelsea.

Didn'thaveariotonhishands
29-05-15, 19:43
It was a tragic accident
In my opinion the football authorities were at fault. The ground wasn't even conference standard with crumbling walls and terraces.Take it from me, I didn't Google this either http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif

Cardiff Irish
29-05-15, 19:48
It was a tragic accident
In my opinion the football authorities were at fault. The ground wasn't even conference standard with crumbling walls and terraces.
It's never their fault.I'll never forget those pics of people pleading to be rescued as the tv cameras were filming them.

surge
29-05-15, 19:53
It was a tragic accident
It's never their fault.The line that stands out from the article is that English football was so concerned with being banned from European tournaments that they didn't learn the lessons which could have prevented the Hillsborough incident.

Mario Miethig
29-05-15, 20:05
I don't think both sets of fans covered themselves in glory. I haven't seen much TV footage of that night since it happened, but I always remember seeing a lot of Juve fans kicking off and the Police just stood there watching them, plus I remember the Juve unfurling a massive banner with 'Reds Animals' on it. 1985 was probably the worst year in football.

bobhattonshairpiece
29-05-15, 20:38
It was a tragic accident
In my opinion the football authorities were at fault. The ground wasn't even conference standard with crumbling walls and terraces.i think you need to realise that this would have happened whatever 2 teams would have been there. the stadium was an accident waiting to happen and the game should never have been scheduled for there. it's a pretty flippant comment you made and i've seen other posters use that down the years. but, if the positioning of the fans was reversed that night Liverpool's fans would have been in the same position, AND if this club had the fan base and success they had and travelled in similar numbers Cardiff City fans could have been the one rushing the opposition. i can well remember getting knocked of the wall in front of the old Grange End at Ninian when supporters rushed a couple of West Ham fans before segregation was introduced. you could here them running down the old wooden steps and clattered West Ham at the front. no supporter of this club has any moral high ground over anyone when it comes to behavior in the 70's and 80's

Maccy Blue
29-05-15, 20:55
It was a tragic accident
It's never their fault.Speak for your self! Never been into trouble at all. Just love watching Cardiff City.

Jordi Culé
29-05-15, 21:10
It was a tragic accident
It's never their fault.Not looking to pick a row but that's how I saw it at the time and see it now.

Jordi Culé
29-05-15, 21:18
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/apr/03/newsstory.sp ort (http://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/apr/03/newsstory.sport)

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/27/heysel-stadi um-disaster-30th-anniversary (http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/27/heysel-stadium-disaster-30th-anniversary)

Some of the content makes uncomfortable reading.

Cardiff Irish
29-05-15, 21:18
It was a tragic accident
It's never their fault.
It was Chelsea.Ithink efforts have been made since. Also agree what a horrle year 15 was in football, Millwall v ;uton, that Leeds fans dying, Bradford, Heysel, id cards, was it really that horrendous? Obviously being a kid at the time I wasn't on the terraces or seeing the worst of .

Jordi Culé
29-05-15, 21:39
It was a tragic accident
It's never their fault.
It was Chelsea.
i think you need to realise that this would have happened whatever 2 teams would have been there. the stadium was an accident waiting to happen and the game should never have been scheduled for there. it's a pretty flippant comment you made and i've seen other posters use that down the years. but, if the positioning of the fans was reversed that night Liverpool's fans would have been in the same position, AND if this club had the fan base and success they had and travelled in similar numbers Cardiff City fans could have been the one rushing the opposition. i can well remember getting knocked of the wall in front of the old Grange End at Ninian when supporters rushed a couple of West Ham fans before segregation was introduced. you could here them running down the old wooden steps and clattered West Ham at the front. no supporter of this club has any moral high ground over anyone when it comes to behavior in the 70's and 80's85 was a watershed in that the Luton riot and Heysel brought what was going on to the attention of the government who in typical Thatcher style tried to stamp hooliganism out through half arsed, draconian measures. It didn't work cause as hooliganism continued with the same government apologising to Germany in Euro Championships 88 for the amount of trouble which took place.

chris
29-05-15, 22:47
its amazing looking back on heysel and bradford both tragedies in football, that never got anything like the amount of coverage or publicity that hillsbrough got in 1989, but people still died, one was a small provincial club in the old second division, the other an italian club whose name ranks with the biggest clubs in europe.

i wonder if heysel was reversed and a big british club was involved such as liverpool or man utd and their fans had been killed, would it have been brushed under the carpet or not publicised as much, somehow i dont think so. http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/sherlock.gif

Jordi Culé
29-05-15, 22:59
its amazing looking back on heysel and bradford both tragedies in football, that never got anything like the amount of coverage or publicity that hillsbrough got in 1989, but people still died, one was a small provincial club in the old second division, the other an italian club whose name ranks with the biggest clubs in europe.In fairness, at the time of Hillsbrough our government, police force and supportive media swept that tragedy so much under the carpet by blaming the Liverpool supporters and keeping the facts hidden that it's only now the truth is emerging.

luimneach
29-05-15, 23:06
its amazing looking back on heysel and bradford both tragedies in football, that never got anything like the amount of coverage or publicity that hillsbrough got in 1989, but people still died, one was a small provincial club in the old second division, the other an italian club whose name ranks with the biggest clubs in europe.David Duckenfield, the Sun and whoever else that lied at the time to blame football supporters for the deaths caused the notoriety and continued media exposure surrounding Hillsborough.

chris
29-05-15, 23:06
its amazing looking back on heysel and bradford both tragedies in football, that never got anything like the amount of coverage or publicity that hillsbrough got in 1989, but people still died, one was a small provincial club in the old second division, the other an italian club whose name ranks with the biggest clubs in europe.
i wonder if heysel was reversed and a big british club was involved such as liverpool or man utd and their fans had been killed, would it have been brushed under the carpet or not publicised as much, somehow i dont think so. http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/sherlock.gif hillsbrough was just sheer stupidity and negligence by the south yorkshire police. http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif

Tandy
29-05-15, 23:11
Why do people and society look to blame anyone and anything for a tragic event that no one intended?

bobhattonshairpiece
29-05-15, 23:23
It was a tragic accident
It's never their fault.
It was Chelsea.why not share with us your experiences and when you started following. Are you not aware of behaviours documented in many books describing and glorifying incidents of hooliganism? If youve been a good boy well done. Why not Google soul crew and find what they thought was a bit of fun

chris
29-05-15, 23:33
Why do people and society look to blame anyone and anything for a tragic event that no one intended? the furore over hillsbrough was ten times greater than heysel, yet the end result was still the same, people were killed.

Bill the Bluebird Builder
30-05-15, 12:33
It was a tragic accidentalways victims

Bill the Bluebird Builder
30-05-15, 12:37
It was a tragic accident
It's never their fault.facts

ETT
31-05-15, 03:32
A tragic event conveniently forgotten by Scousers whilst they take every opportunity to remind us about Hillsborough

Liverpool fans, offended by everything, ashamed of nothing