PDA

View Full Version : City Quiz Questions

BINGE THINKING
01-06-15, 11:28
10 questions from City's history to muse over.

1. Name the 10 teams whom City have played in all four tiers of the Football League.

2. Which player scored in the league for City but never started a league game for us ?

3. Which player started only one league game for City but scored more FA Cup goals
for us than either Brian Clark or Derek Tapscott ?

4. Name the 7 former City managers who, as players, held FA Cup Winners' medals.

5. In 1952 George Hazlett made his debut for City against QPR after signing from
Bury. In what way was his debut unique (at least as far as City were concerned) ?

6. When City won 3-2 at Hartlepool in February 1997 what 'occurred' which
hasn't 'occurred' in any league match involving City since.

7. Which City player of recent times as 'Evidence' as a middle-name.

8. In 1953 City beat Manchester City 6-0 in a First Division game. Which future Welsh
International was making his Football League debut for Man City that day.

9. Which goalkeeper scored for City on his debut ?

10. Rob Earnshaw holds the record for most goals scored in a season for City. What
appearance record for City does Earnie also hold ?

Feedback
01-06-15, 11:36
1. the peg sellers, hull, wigan, fulham

5. first substitute?

6. two goals in injury time

ken smith
01-06-15, 11:41
3. Morris Scott?

Cretin Hop
01-06-15, 11:47
4. Phil Neal, Russell Osman, Jimmy Scoular, Alan Cork, Graham Williams, Terry Yorath and Ole Solskjaer.

As for the rest http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/shrug.gif

KP
01-06-15, 11:48
1. QPR, Swansea, Fulham, Hull, Wolves, Burnley, Preston, Birmingham, Huddersfield, Notts County (good few of them are guesses)

2. Jason Byrne?

4. OGS, Phil Neil, Alan Cork, Bobby Gould, Terry Yorath

7. Dikgacoi

Loya Jirga
01-06-15, 12:13
10 questions from City's history to muse over. 4. Scoular, Graham Williams, Yorath, Neal, Osman, Cork, Solskjaer

BINGE THINKING
01-06-15, 12:24
Morrys Scott correct for no 3, Dikgacoi correct for 7. No correct sets for 1 or 4 yet.

Enoch Mort
01-06-15, 12:41
8. Is it Phil Woosnam ?

BINGE THINKING
01-06-15, 12:46
Yes no 8 is Phil Woosnam.

The Bloop
01-06-15, 12:50
6. I vaguely remember Phil Dwyer do this once, so just a guess, but did an outfield player have to go in goals for part of the game?

Enoch Mort
01-06-15, 12:52
4. OGS, Alan Cork, Bobby Gould, Graham Williams, Jimmy Scoular, George Swindin, Bill Jennings

BINGE THINKING
01-06-15, 13:05
Correct again Enoch. Gould had a cup-winner's medal as a non-playing substitute for West Ham in the 1975 final.

cardiff55
01-06-15, 13:09
9. Josh Magennis (a former goalie).

cardiff55
01-06-15, 13:10
6. Phil Woosnam.

BINGE THINKING
01-06-15, 13:18
Not Magennis although I follow your thinking there.

Sloop_Jon_Bee
01-06-15, 13:32
1. Jacks, Hull, Fulham, Bolton, Wolves, Bury, Blackpool, Preston, Burnley, Notts County
Speger

BINGE THINKING
01-06-15, 14:30
Correct Sloop. I think that's no's 1, 3, 4, 7 and 8 answered.

the other bob wilson
01-06-15, 15:13
Number two I'm thinking of Billy Woof, but I believe he may have started in that game with Wigan?

Number five, a complete guess, but did he score with his first touch?

the other bob wilson
01-06-15, 15:29
Haven't got a clue about any of the remaining questions Richard, so another guess which I'm pretty certain is wrong - has Earnie made the most substitute appearances for us?

Another guess, we didn't take a change strip up to Hartlepool so had to wear one of theirs? That wouldn't explain why you put occurred in inverted commas twice though.

And another guess, the goalkeeper scored in a pre season friendly?

BINGE THINKING
01-06-15, 15:52
Your guess about Earnie is correct Paul. He made 63 substitute appearances for City with 48 being in league games. Andy Campbell was a fairly close second with 56 (43 in the league).
Billy Woof isn't correct for no 2 (he started that game against Wigan) and the Hartlepool question is nothing to do with strip colour. The goalkeeper question is very 'Other Bob Wilsonesque' !

Enoch Mort
01-06-15, 15:59
These are excellent questions - thanks for taking the trouble to research them. By the way, you have a pm.

BINGE THINKING
01-06-15, 16:12
Enoch has kindly pointed out an error in one of my questions. No 5 should read George WARDLE not George HAZLETT and the year of the match in question is 1947 not 1952. I'm sure that'll make it much easier for everyone and apologies to anyone who has spent the whole afternoon grappling with this question.

the other bob wilson
01-06-15, 16:29
Your guess about Earnie is correct Paul. He made 63 substitute appearances for City with 48 being in league games. Andy Campbell was a fairly close second with 56 (43 in the league). I was wrong about Mr Wardle/Hazlett scoring with his first touch of the ball for City was I?

cardiff55
01-06-15, 16:38
5. The George Wardle one is that he started 3 successive League games in 3 different divisions., but it wasn't 1952 and he didn't sign from Bury or am I getting confused?

BINGE THINKING
01-06-15, 16:40
Yes you were wrong about Wardle - though not as wrong as I was !

Enoch Mort
01-06-15, 16:42
5. TOBW's first touch guess for this question is a good one I think. The only other thing I can think of is that he scored on debut against a team who he left Cardiff City to join at a later date. That may not be unique and probably too obscure. His debut against QPR was our 12th away win of that season which may be our record - anything to do with that ? As you can see I am clutching at straws and will be very interested to see the answer.

Enoch Mort
01-06-15, 16:45
5. The George Wardle one is that he started 3 successive League games in 3 different divisions., but it wasn't 1952 and he didn't sign from Bury or am I getting confused?Wasn't that Roy Clarke ?

BINGE THINKING
01-06-15, 16:49
No Cardiff 55 it was me who muddled up a couple of Georges -Wardle and Hazlett. Hazlett was signed from Bury in 1952 but the question should relate to Wardle and his debut against QPR after signing from Exeter in 1947.

cardiff55
01-06-15, 17:28
5. The George Wardle one is that he started 3 successive League games in 3 different divisions., but it wasn't 1952 and he didn't sign from Bury or am I getting confused?
Wasn't that Roy Clarke ?Yep that's him, well it was 1947 and I wasn't even born then!

Loramski
01-06-15, 17:40
Is that Hartlepool game the last one involving City where neither side used a sub?

Loramski
01-06-15, 17:58
2 is Jamie Hughes

BINGE THINKING
01-06-15, 18:02
Well done Loramski you're right in both those answers. I probably should have asked what 'didn't occur' in the Hartlepool game ! Just the George Wardle and goalkeeper question left now I think.

Loramski
01-06-15, 18:17
The goalie must be Dimi.

Sorry, just noticed the 'for City' bit.

Dr Pop
01-06-15, 18:22
9. Jim Brown?

Oh Willie Willie
01-06-15, 19:32
10 questions from City's history to muse over.Until I saw the answer, the only player I could think of who'd have "Evidence" as a middle name would be Michael Duberry - but knew he hadn't played for the City 😄

The Bloop
01-06-15, 20:22
9. Which team was the keeper making his debut for?

Optimistic Nick
01-06-15, 20:30
Great quiz. No idea what any of the answers are, but great questions.

Dr Pop
01-06-15, 21:18
9. Which team was the keeper making his debut for?I'm fairly sure it was Jim Brown, who played 3 games for City during the 82/83 season. Andy Dibble got carried off in a 4-2 defeat at Bradford and he was the only keeper on our books at the time. Brown was brought in on a non-contract basis (think he'd been released by Chesterfield) and scored direct from a goal kick at Ninian Park, against Bouremouth I think, He played the next 2 games and then City brought in Eric Steele who made his debut at Fratton Park and won save of the season after pulling off a wonder save in that match.

BINGE THINKING
01-06-15, 21:30
The goal against Bournemouth was credited to Roger Gibbins although it may have come via a Jim Brown goal kick. I'll post all the answers tomorrow although as a small clue there is some slight connection between the two unanswered questions - 5 and 9.

Loramski
01-06-15, 23:45
9. Which team was the keeper making his debut for?Crewe. It's Ben Williams in 2004.

Loramski
01-06-15, 23:50
Well done Loramski you're right in both those answers. I probably should have asked what 'didn't occur' in the Hartlepool game ! Just the George Wardle and goalkeeper question left now I think. Did Wardle score for both teams that day?

Steve R
02-06-15, 00:36
Great quiz. No idea what any of the answers are, but great questions.Same here. Great questions.

The Bloop
02-06-15, 08:07
9. Which team was the keeper making his debut for?
I'm fairly sure it was Jim Brown, who played 3 games for City during the 82/83 season. Andy Dibble got carried off in a 4-2 defeat at Bradford and he was the only keeper on our books at the time. Brown was brought in on a non-contract basis (think he'd been released by Chesterfield) and scored direct from a goal kick at Ninian Park, against Bouremouth I think, He played the next 2 games and then City brought in Eric Steele who made his debut at Fratton Park and won save of the season after pulling off a wonder save in that match.With regards to the Eric Steele save I do remember watching Grandstand running a save of the season competition during their FA Cup final day coverage. They kept comparing it to the Gordon Banks save in the 1970 World Cup v Pele

BINGE THINKING
02-06-15, 09:40
Well done to Loramski who has tidied up the last two questions. The full list of answers are therefore;
1. The ten teams City have played in all four tiers are: Blackpool, Bolton, Burnley, Bury, Fulham, Hull, Notts County, Preston, Swansea, Wolves.

2. Jamie Hughes scored a last minute equaliser against S****horpe in 1999 after coming on as a substitute but was never to start a league game for City

3. Brian Clark and Derek Tapscott both scored over 100 goals for City but both managed only 2 in FA cup games. Morris Scott on the other hand netted 3 in two FA
Cup matches against Gloucester City in 1990. His only league start came against Leyton Orient later that year.

4. The seven former City managers with FA Cup winner's medal are: Bill Jennings (Bolton 1923), George Swindin (Arsenal 1950), Jimmy Scoular (Newcastle 1955),
Graham Williams ( West Brom 1968), Bobby Gould (West Ham 1975), Alan Cork (Wimbledon 1988), OGS ( Man Utd 1999 and 2004).

5. George WARDLE (not Hazlett - sorry about that) made his City debut against QPR in the penultimate match of the 1946-47 season and managed to score for both sides.
Wardle was later transferred to QPR and in 1950 again scored for QPR against City - this time deliberately we assume.

6. The match against Hartlepool in 1997 was the last City league game where neither side used a substitute. What 'occurred' was that the 22 players who started the match
were still on the pitch at the final whistle.

7. Kagisho Dikgacoi has the middle name Evidence. We're yet to see much evidence of Evidence's abilities infortunately.

8. Phil Woosnam was the later Welsh international who made his league debut against City in Man City's humiliating defeat at Ninian Park in 1953. It was his only appearance
for Man City and he then played non league football for Sutton United before re-emerging with Leyton Orient, West Ham and Aston Villa.

9. The goalkeeper was Ben Williams of Crewe who on his debut as a Man Utd loanee scored an own goal which gave City a 1-0 win at Gresty Road in March 2004.

10. Rob Earnshaw has made more substitute appearances (63) than any other city player. His closest rivals are Andy Campbell and Paul Parry. i'm now tempted to find out
which City player has the dubious record of being substituted most often !

Enoch Mort
02-06-15, 09:50
Excellent questions, very well researched. Question 9 about the keeper is a top question. http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif

Sloop_Jon_Bee
02-06-15, 10:10
Well done to Loramski who has tidied up the last two questions. The full list of answers are therefore;Spedger

Loramski
02-06-15, 10:44
Well done to Loramski who has tidied up the last two questions. The full list of answers are therefore;I reckon Earnie holds the record for being the most substituted too. I make it 50 times in the league (including play offs) and 6 in the cups, I'd be very surprised if anyone passes 56.

Loramski
03-06-15, 21:50
I just found a City player who got subbed more than Earnie. I make it this guy got subbed 59 times (52 in the league, 7 in the cups). Anyone fancy a guess?

cardiff55
03-06-15, 23:04
And Campbell?

Loramski
03-06-15, 23:12
And Campbell?No,this player started towards the end of Campbell's time here though.

the other bob wilson
04-06-15, 04:14
I just found a City player who got subbed more than Earnie. I make it this guy got subbed 59 times (52 in the league, 7 in the cups). Anyone fancy a guess?Although it barely happens these days, Whittingham was always getting subbed in his early days at the club.

Loramski
04-06-15, 07:33
I just found a City player who got subbed more than Earnie. I make it this guy got subbed 59 times (52 in the league, 7 in the cups). Anyone fancy a guess?
Although it barely happens these days, Whittingham was always getting subbed in his early days at the club.He did, Bothroyd too but they only get to around the 40 mark. According to your book, this player made 214 appearances for us including 48 as substitute so if he did get subbed 59 times that would mean he only played the 90 minutes in exactly half his games here.

BINGE THINKING
04-06-15, 09:31
My guess would be Paul Parry .

the other bob wilson
04-06-15, 10:50
My guess would be Paul Parry .I was thinking it might be Chopra, but I'd say Parry is more likely.

BINGE THINKING
04-06-15, 11:39
Although it barely happens these days, Whittingham was always getting subbed in his early days at the club.
He did, Bothroyd too but they only get to around the 40 mark. According to your book, this player made 214 appearances for us including 48 as substitute so if he did get subbed 59 times that would mean he only played the 90 minutes in exactly half his games here. Actually quite a few City players only played the full 90 minutes in a small minority of their appearances. Rudi Gestede only started 15 of his 63 appearances and was substituted in 6 of them while Eddie Johnson only started 7 of his 32 appearances and was substituted in 2 of those.

Optimistic Nick
04-06-15, 13:30
I was thinking it might be Chopra, but I'd say Parry is more likely.I think it has to be. 214 is a very specific number of games played, and Parry has 214 games.

Loramski
04-06-15, 17:52
I was thinking it might be Chopra, but I'd say Parry is more likely.
I think it has to be. 214 is a very specific number of games played, and Parry has 214 games.Well done at home if you got all ten, as Richard Osman would say.

The Alien
04-06-15, 18:23
I think it has to be. 214 is a very specific number of games played, and Parry has 214 games.
Paul Parry, yes. When I was looking at his league cup games I was tempted to ask for guesses at the five players he subbed and the five he was subbed for in his league cup career but I think it would have been a question too far for this thread, a few 'pointless' answers in there. Have a go if you want but the answers are here.They would all be Pointless and every contestant would have a score of 100

Optimistic Nick
05-06-15, 10:26
I think it has to be. 214 is a very specific number of games played, and Parry has 214 games.
Paul Parry, yes. When I was looking at his league cup games I was tempted to ask for guesses at the five players he subbed and the five he was subbed for in his league cup career but I think it would have been a question too far for this thread, a few 'pointless' answers in there. Have a go if you want but the answers are here.Great question, by the way.

Loramski
05-06-15, 21:24
Paul Parry, yes. When I was looking at his league cup games I was tempted to ask for guesses at the five players he subbed and the five he was subbed for in his league cup career but I think it would have been a question too far for this thread, a few 'pointless' answers in there. Have a go if you want but the answers are here.
The 5 he subbed for: Nicky Fish, Chris Barker, Malvin Kamara, Robbie Fowler and Darcy Blake.He only started that one 'proper' game for us, a league cup tie at Bournemouth in 2004 although he also appeared in a few FAW cup games too.

Sloop_Jon_Bee
05-06-15, 23:14
Paul Parry, yes. When I was looking at his league cup games I was tempted to ask for guesses at the five players he subbed and the five he was subbed for in his league cup career but I think it would have been a question too far for this thread, a few 'pointless' answers in there. Have a go if you want but the answers are here.
The 5 he subbed for: Nicky Fish, Chris Barker, Malvin Kamara, Robbie Fowler and Darcy Blake.
The 5 he was subbed by: Stuart Fleetwood, Jason Koumas, Andrea Ferretti, Aaron Ramsey and Miguel Comminges.Spedger

the other bob wilson
06-06-15, 04:15
The 5 he subbed for: Nicky Fish, Chris Barker, Malvin Kamara, Robbie Fowler and Darcy Blake.
The 5 he was subbed by: Stuart Fleetwood, Jason Koumas, Andrea Ferretti, Aaron Ramsey and Miguel Comminges.Still remember that Bournemouth League Cup match for a couple of things - first, the bottle shown by another player who had to retire early, Byron Anthony, to take and score one of the penalties in the shoot out in what was only his second first team appearance and, second, the fact that Neil Alexander not only dived the right way for one of the penalties (an almost unique occurrence during his Cardiff career!), but he actually saved it!