PDA

View Full Version : Gunnarsson to sign new 2 year deal

Stavross CCFC
02-06-15, 10:08
According to Wales online.

http:// www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-c itys-icelandic-midfielder-aron-9373436 (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-citys-icelandic-midfielder-aron-9373436)

Just hope Slade doesn't persist with Whitts and Gunnar in the centre, it doesn't work. It either/or for me alongside Joe Ralls next season.

Cretin Hop
02-06-15, 10:12
That is a backward step.

Gunnarsson was a total liability last season, and was IMO the reason why City were so pedestrian, sluggish and downright weak in central midfield.

Surely even Slade could see the midfield with him and Whitts was such a weak link which all oppositions easily took advantage of.

Really hope City get a dominant central midfield player to reinvigorate the team.

Rock_Flock_of_Five
02-06-15, 10:33
That is a backward step.This for me is disappointing news.

redjk
02-06-15, 10:48
Good player, still young.

qccfc
02-06-15, 10:50
He's only 26, he has been promoted from this league and performs well at international level, if we gave him away for free that would be a mistake.

Im sure with a decent pre-season, and a better set-up he can be an asset to this club again.

saganspirit
02-06-15, 10:55
I'd rather keep Gunnarsson tbh - just my opinion. I do think he needs some help in midfield though - maybe if Dikgachoi can have a good pre-season...

The Bob Banker Spanker
02-06-15, 11:26
We played better in general when Whitts or Gunnarsson weren't playing alongside one another.
Neither are bad, just not good for each other.

insider
02-06-15, 11:31
I think he has been a good servant to the club but my head says let him go and start again with the midfield.
IMO the midfield has been the weak link at least for the last 12 months anyway.

Blue Countisbury
02-06-15, 12:05
http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/malky.gif Thank goodness our Prem quality manager and his deep thinking but dynamic assistant have pulled this one out of the bag. I hate to think where we would be next season without Gunnars' domination of midfield.

in fits and starts
02-06-15, 13:14
I'm OK as long as he's used as one of many options on the bench. He played 45 league games in the season we got promoted. Although it feels like a lifetime ago, it really wasn't. I believe he can still be an essential part of a winning City team. Depth is essential after all. But agree that midfield was/is a problem so would still like to see us add seven or eight midfielders.

Daniel15
02-06-15, 13:30
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32972706

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/article/gunnarsson-exten ds-city-deal-2472800.aspx (http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/article/gunnarsson-extends-city-deal-2472800.aspx)

Speaking exclusively to cardiffcityfc.co.uk from his native Iceland on Tuesday, Aron said: "I'm very happy to be committing my future to Cardiff City Football Club.

"I've enjoyed some fantastic times already during the four seasons I've been here and look forward to many more as we aim to push on next season and beyond.

"I'd like to thank the City fans for their support and look forward to getting back out there with the rest of the lads for pre-season.

"We're all going to be looking to hit the ground running and I'm delighted that I've been able to sort out my future ahead of returning next month so that my focus can be fully on the task in hand."

14TheFuture
02-06-15, 14:33
Like many in our squad, a good player but deployed poorly.

Gunnarsson also scored City's ever first ever Premier League goal and was instrumental in the run to the Carling Cup Final and our Promotion campaign.

Can play in multiple positions and is always a hard worker.

Cretin Hop
02-06-15, 14:36
Looking forward to see if he's added more ink to his collection, and if he's gone for the ZZ Top beard this pre season http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/sherlock.gif

ninianboy1
02-06-15, 15:15
Terrible footballer - league one standard at best. Whatever happened to all that talk about Ledley signing?

ragbone
02-06-15, 16:59
He is a good Championship player , makes an effort , successful international captain ,who struggled in a low in confidence side , I think its a good contract renewal.

the other bob wilson
03-06-15, 05:19
He is a good Championship player , makes an effort , successful international captain ,who struggled in a low in confidence side , I think its a good contract renewal. I tend to agree with you. The one slight doubt I have is that at Coventry his performance level gradually tailed off and he needed the challenge of a move to another club to start showing what he was really capable of - this new season is going to be a big one for him at Cardiff, he really needs to start showing the form of his first two seasons with us on a more consistent basis.

Blue Countisbury
03-06-15, 06:31
He is a good Championship player , makes an effort , successful international captain ,who struggled in a low in confidence side , I think its a good contract renewal.
I tend to agree with you. The one slight doubt I have is that at Coventry his performance level gradually tailed off and he needed the challenge of a move to another club to start showing what he was really capable of - this new season is going to be a big one for him at Cardiff, he really needs to start showing the form of his first two seasons with us on a more consistent basis.Perhaps give him the Captain's arm band?

saganspirit
03-06-15, 06:58
I tend to agree with you. The one slight doubt I have is that at Coventry his performance level gradually tailed off and he needed the challenge of a move to another club to start showing what he was really capable of - this new season is going to be a big one for him at Cardiff, he really needs to start showing the form of his first two seasons with us on a more consistent basis.
Perhaps give him the Captain's arm band?I'd rather give the captaincy to Turner - assuming he's fit.

NECS
03-06-15, 07:17
"I'd like to thank the City fans for their support and look forward to getting back out there with the rest of the lads for pre-season."

Let's hope he's not reading this thread then.

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif

the other bob wilson
03-06-15, 08:22
I tend to agree with you. The one slight doubt I have is that at Coventry his performance level gradually tailed off and he needed the challenge of a move to another club to start showing what he was really capable of - this new season is going to be a big one for him at Cardiff, he really needs to start showing the form of his first two seasons with us on a more consistent basis.
Perhaps give him the Captain's arm band?Yes. maybe - I can't remember speaking to anyone who thinks Marshall should stay captain. Someone's already mentioned the other obvious candidate for the job in Ben Turner and I think it's more likely than he would get the job rather than Gunnarsson, but, if Manga stays, is he going to be a first choice every week?

Rock_Flock_of_Five
03-06-15, 11:14
Perhaps give him the Captain's arm band?
Yes. maybe - I can't remember speaking to anyone who thinks Marshall should stay captain. Someone's already mentioned the other obvious candidate for the job in Ben Turner and I think it's more likely than he would get the job rather than Gunnarsson, but, if Manga stays, is he going to be a first choice every week?There lies the problem - who can say that Turner will be sure to start games for us?

The Penguin
03-06-15, 21:43
Good player, still young. Anyone who does not realise that this pairing led to the most fundamental weakness in th side last season is either mad, or Russell Slade.

Rock_Flock_of_Five
04-06-15, 02:02
Good player, still young.
Sadly, he has peaked, it happens, and he is no longer developing. http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif

redjk
04-06-15, 09:54
I'm OK as long as he's used as one of many options on the bench. He played 45 league games in the season we got promoted. Although it feels like a lifetime ago, it really wasn't. I believe he can still be an essential part of a winning City team. Depth is essential after all. But agree that midfield was/is a problem so would still like to see us add seven or eight midfielders.Ridiculous comment.

surge
04-06-15, 09:57
Even if he has a stinker of a next season we'd still be able to sell him next summer for 2 million so pretty much a risk free deal.