PDA

View Full Version : No Electrification of the GWR After All?

RichardM
25-06-15, 12:09
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33270586

They've just realised its all too complicated and expensive

saganspirit
25-06-15, 12:16
Refurbishing Parliament is a priority...

JamesWales
25-06-15, 12:17
It does say that the GWR will be the priority..

But this is all no doubt connected to the farcical vanity project that is HS2. It should be scrapped now.

Feedback
25-06-15, 12:37
why is HS2 a vanity project but electrification of GWR isn't?

BlueWales
25-06-15, 13:13
Midland and Northern upgrades are put on hold while Network Rail concentrates on getting First Great Western right.

You have to laugh at HS2 opponents.

Almost every major city in France has been linked for decades by the TGV meanwhile the UK has too many moaners who don't want change to allow similar upgrades here.

Observer
25-06-15, 13:23
Funnily enough, the party 'for working people' are about to plunge millions of working people and their children into poverty, and it is 'highly unlikely' that the promised 5,000 extra GP's will materialise either.

Was their manifesto anything more than a pack of lies? http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/sherlock.gif

Geezerj
25-06-15, 13:34
The problem with HS2 is the cost reward of the thing.

It's 20+ year old technology that will be 40 Years old by the time it's finished.

Secondly in the next 10-20 years cars will be able to drive themselves. Cars will be able to travel closer and at higher speeds before this thing even rolls. Increasing capacity and reducing journey times considerably.

It saves a total of 20 minutes of travel time between London and Birmingham. For circa £80Bn but likely to be £110Bn at project end.

Meanwhile in China they have completed the first Mag-Lev route and are working on plans for several more. Elon Musk in the US is working on a similar system that uses a vacuum tube and speeds of around 700 miles an hour.

If we are going to do large infrastructure projects, let us at least give the world something to talk about.

blue sky
25-06-15, 14:01
why is HS2 a vanity project but electrification of GWR isn't?Mind you, as an accountant you probably don't have a brilliant grasp of figures.

Observer
25-06-15, 14:09
Maybe because the cost of electrifying the GWR will be a maximum of £1.5 billion whereas HS2 will cost around £80 billion. They are not really comparable in terms of bang for buck.http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/homer.gif

Feedback
25-06-15, 14:46
Maybe because the cost of electrifying the GWR will be a maximum of £1.5 billion whereas HS2 will cost around £80 billion. They are not really comparable in terms of bang for buck.I see.

Colonel Cærdiffi
25-06-15, 14:58
Maybe because the cost of electrifying the GWR will be a maximum of £1.5 billion whereas HS2 will cost around £80 billion. They are not really comparable in terms of bang for buck.
Mind you, as an accountant you probably don't have a brilliant grasp of figures.Yeah, he said some other stuff that you seem to have missed.

Packerman
25-06-15, 15:15
Maybe because the cost of electrifying the GWR will be a maximum of £1.5 billion whereas HS2 will cost around £80 billion. They are not really comparable in terms of bang for buck.
Mind you, as an accountant you probably don't have a brilliant grasp of figures.
so one project shaves 20 minutes off the journey time and is worthwhile yet the other project shaves 20 minutes off the journey time and isn't worthwhile.in for the long haul http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif

Feedback
25-06-15, 15:16
Mind you, as an accountant you probably don't have a brilliant grasp of figures.
so one project shaves 20 minutes off the journey time and is worthwhile yet the other project shaves 20 minutes off the journey time and isn't worthwhile. http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif

Feedback
25-06-15, 15:16
so one project shaves 20 minutes off the journey time and is worthwhile yet the other project shaves 20 minutes off the journey time and isn't worthwhile.
I see.http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/popcorn.gif

Colonel Cærdiffi
25-06-15, 15:20
so one project shaves 20 minutes off the journey time and is worthwhile yet the other project shaves 20 minutes off the journey time and isn't worthwhile.
I see.SEE?! HE EVEN ADMITS IT

JamesWales
25-06-15, 15:26
why is HS2 a vanity project but electrification of GWR isn't?Electrification is more about modernisation, accessing better rolling stock, reliability as well as saving time..all at a fraction of the cost.

Feedback
25-06-15, 15:31
I see.
Yeah, he said some other stuff that you seem to have <s>missed</s> ignored.I thought it was for the best. I know how Blue Sky likes to get involved in pointless long winded arguments over nothing so i thought it best to avoid

JamesWales
25-06-15, 15:32
Midland and Northern upgrades are put on hold while Network Rail concentrates on getting First Great Western right.Electrification I support, but beyond that, I'd invest in better routes between cities, and within cities.

Feedback
25-06-15, 15:32
Cost primarily.so what is the point in electrification of the GWML then? all that will achieve is knocking 8 minutes off the London to pegsville journey time.

Packerman
25-06-15, 15:33
I see.
Yeah, he said some other stuff that you seem to have <s>missed</s> ignored.
FYPpost of the day from the http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/snow.gif http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif

Feedback
25-06-15, 15:38
http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/malky.gif

blue matt
25-06-15, 16:22
we have missed the boat in the high speed train game

lets accept it, accept our train trips take a little longer, look at the countryside as we travel through it

£100 bill saved will mean they do not need to axe the family tax credit and plunge families into crisis and have children go to bed hungry

saganspirit
25-06-15, 16:30
we have missed the boat in the high speed train gameHmm... You obviously have more faith in the Tories than I do. Unless you were being ironic...

G rangetown Blue
25-06-15, 18:21
All going ahead until the WA asked for it to be extended to Swansea! WTF were they thinking.

BlueWales
25-06-15, 19:19
Midland and Northern upgrades are put on hold while Network Rail concentrates on getting First Great Western right.
You have to laugh at HS2 opponents.Get back on your steam train mate.

goats
25-06-15, 19:26
The cost of catching a train in this country is so ridiculous they might aswell scrap the entire system, it's just for business commuters anyway who get their companies to pay. I was quoted about £150 each to get to London the other day for me and the wife. What a fuggin joke, throw in a rip off hotel and is rather fly somewhere decent for the weekend.

Feedback
25-06-15, 19:37
The cost of catching a train in this country is so ridiculous they might aswell scrap the entire system, it's just for business commuters anyway who get their companies to pay. I was quoted about £150 each to get to London the other day for me and the wife. What a fuggin joke, throw in a rip off hotel and is rather fly somewhere decent for the weekend. This is exactly the problem. The uk is so car centric and that manifests itself in expensive Rail fares. Add the complexity of ticket pricing and rail use outside of the commute is low indeed.

MrJamesBrown
25-06-15, 20:39
Cost primarily.HS2 is about capacity. By removing the majority of intercity trains from the existing lines, more of the slower all stops trains can be fitted in for commuters etc. The added speed caused by using a new alignment is a bonus.

Barry Dragon
25-06-15, 21:11
The cost of catching a train in this country is so ridiculous they might aswell scrap the entire system, it's just for business commuters anyway who get their companies to pay. I was quoted about £150 each to get to London the other day for me and the wife. What a fuggin joke, throw in a rip off hotel and is rather fly somewhere decent for the weekend. Book in advance its 40 return ticket each. Prices on the day are completely ridiculous and need to be addressed.

jeepster
25-06-15, 21:13
Funnily enough, the party 'for working people' are about to plunge millions of working people and their children into poverty, and it is 'highly unlikely' that the promised 5,000 extra GP's will materialise either.Biggest bunch of lying ****s ever http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif

Heathccfc
25-06-15, 21:19
The cost of catching a train in this country is so ridiculous they might aswell scrap the entire system, it's just for business commuters anyway who get their companies to pay. I was quoted about £150 each to get to London the other day for me and the wife. What a fuggin joke, throw in a rip off hotel and is rather fly somewhere decent for the weekend. I never consider a weekend in the UK when planning my breaks, that said, the continent has become expensive for Brits. The evening saver of £1.60 return to queen street from Heath has put an end to my taking the car into town, generally though, train travel is extortionate.

Heathccfc
25-06-15, 21:26
Makes a mockery of green policies, carbon footprints, expensive studies telling how important it is to save the planet and all that bollox, the environment is so important we'll just carry on burning hydro carbons and continue to pollute up our cities.

Arfur Europe
25-06-15, 21:50
I see.
Yeah, he said some other stuff that you seem to have <s>missed</s> ignored.It's a pity that the likes of the old CCMB windbag Feedback isn't around anymore. He could learn a lot from this thrusting newcomer Leeroy Thornhill, make no mistake.

Arfur Europe
25-06-15, 21:56
The cost of catching a train in this country is so ridiculous they might aswell scrap the entire system, it's just for business commuters anyway who get their companies to pay. I was quoted about £150 each to get to London the other day for me and the wife. What a fuggin joke, throw in a rip off hotel and is rather fly somewhere decent for the weekend. Also, another point about electrification over diesel is surely reduced emissions? Not sure about monetary cost though.