PDA

View Full Version : Car rental in USA

lukeBBW
29-07-15, 13:09
Off to California for 2 weeks in August.

We are looking at hiring two nice cars to travel in between cities.

Anyone recommend any good car rentals or any advice on insurance issues etc?

Is 'unlimited mileage' really unlimited? Also a lot of the nice cars i.e The ford mustang have the *or other similar next to it. Anyway of guaranteeing a specific car or is it just pot luck when you get there?

Thanks in advance

Taunton Blue Genie
29-07-15, 13:29
I've done about road trips in the States and they usually include a 2,500 mile round trip. Usually with Alamo and I have never had a problem of any description.

BLUETIT
29-07-15, 13:38
My lad had terrible problems trying to get money refunded once he got home.
Firm charged him twice on his card.

BlueWales
29-07-15, 13:41
Agree that Alamo are ok to hire from.

With package tours they often have a link to a particular company and in
the brochure it will usually say the type of vehicle eg " Chrysler Voyager or similar ".

If you have a flight only package they may still have a link to a specific company.

Worth finding out which car hire firms operate out of your arrival airport.

Stavross CCFC
29-07-15, 13:42
I've done about road trips in the States and they usually include a 2,500 mile round trip. Usually with Alamo and I have never had a problem of any description.Having worked a while ago for enterprise in the UK, it's usually pot luck with the car manufacturer, you just book a vehicle group type.

lukeBBW
29-07-15, 13:47
I've done about road trips in the States and they usually include a 2,500 mile round trip. Usually with Alamo and I have never had a problem of any description.Alamo looks quite reasonably priced. Do they try and sell you the kitchen sink at the airport etc? Looks like insurance is included also

lukeBBW
29-07-15, 13:48
The 'something similar' pisses me off. Want the mustang convertible not the bloody Chrysler or whatever equivalent it will be

cardiff55
29-07-15, 15:26
Yes they now don't cover you for flat tyres/puncture so you either have to pay when you get one or pay up front just in case. Try to avoid getting them to swipe your credit/debit card if you can just in case.

Taunton Blue Genie
29-07-15, 15:33
Yes they now don't cover you for flat tyres/puncture so you either have to pay when you get one or pay up front just in case. Try to avoid getting them to swipe your credit/debit card if you can just in case.Do you have to pay up front if it's a puncture in a rear tyre?

BlueWales
29-07-15, 15:59
The 'something similar' pisses me off. Want the mustang convertible not the bloody Chrysler or whatever equivalent it will beWife still hasn't got over it spoiling " her big day ". http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/hehe.gif