PDA

View Full Version : City emerge from the dross (again) to claim the points at Cardiff City Stadium.

the other bob wilson
13-09-15, 07:35
There's also a piece on yesterday lunchtime's Academy match under the Huddersfield report.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Jimmy the Jock
13-09-15, 08:09
There's also a piece on yesterday lunchtime's Academy match under the Huddersfield report.I was really looking forward to yesterdays game and dont feel disappointed at all.

Igovernor
13-09-15, 08:27
Nor me http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif

ninianboy1
13-09-15, 10:19
Another very well written report Bob - one that I would call honest rather than negative.

Despite the win very few fans left the stadium elated. It was all summed up for me with the very sad site of Slade running around the pitch clapping empty stands.

For some reason we tolerated Malky's dour wins more than we do with Slade. This may be unfair but it is happening. The club needs to find that x factor to make things click with fans.

As for the football it was dire until the introduction of Ameobi.

Too many of our defenders struggle to make simple passes. Malone and Morrisson never look comfortable on the ball and often end up giving away possession. Manga should improve this situation when he returns.

Our midfield is too one paced. While Whitts, Dikgacoi and Pilkington are all decent players at this level theyall on the slow side so we could do with a player to inject some box to box pace in the side. Ledley perhaps?

As for our strikers I'd like to see Ameobi start alongside Kenwyne and Mason used an impact player. But I would like to seeus strengthen in this area with a decent loan signing.

Lawnmower
13-09-15, 11:00
Another very well written report Bob - one that I would call honest rather than negative.The consistency in selection is helping the spirit and organisation of the side , and apart from perhaps Manga for Morrison ( would that be right after a clean sheet ?), I wouldn't try to fix something that isn't broken

the other bob wilson
13-09-15, 11:17
There's also a piece on yesterday lunchtime's Academy match under the Huddersfield report.
http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/ (http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/)Huddersfield could easily have had a penalty and, although Chris Powell has said our second goal was not offside, it looked like it was to me - by the end I thought we just about deserved our win, but we had luck on our side as well.

the other bob wilson
13-09-15, 11:35
Another very well written report Bob - one that I would call honest rather than negative.I still feel midfield is the area where we could do with a new player most, but with Macheda out for months apparently and Saadi going to be missing for a few weeks, we are short of options up front now. We are doing well in terms of league position and results and you'd like to think that increasing confidence will bring about better performances, but I'm still not convinced that we have enough to maintain a top six challenge over a period of months.

Lawnmower
13-09-15, 12:00
I think it's about expectation really.
I'm fairly happy with the way we are playing and although we looked a little lethargic and disjointed for the first 45-60, we were comfortable and creating more than Huddersfield.

However this is better than I expected, maybe you and the thousands who were not enthused yesterday expect more.
Given 2 years ago we were beating Man City and Swansea and drawing with Man U and Everton I can see why.

Lawnmower
13-09-15, 12:03
Another very well written report Bob - one that I would call honest rather than negative.Despite the win very few fans left the stadium elated. It was all summed up for me with the very sad site of Slade running around the pitch clapping empty stands.For some reason we tolerated Malky's dour wins more than we do with Slade. This may be unfair but it is happening. The club needs to find that x factor to make things click with fans.As for the football it was dire until the introduction of Ameobi.Too many of our defenders struggle to make simple passes. Malone and Morrisson never look comfortable on the ball and often end up giving away possession. Manga should improve this situation when he returns.Our midfield is too one paced. While Whitts, Dikgacoi and Pilkington are all decent players at this level theyall on the slow side so we could do with a player to inject some box to box pace in the side. Ledley perhaps?As for our strikers I'd like to see Ameobi start alongside Kenwyne and Mason used an impact player. But I would like to seeus strengthen in this area with a decent loan signing.Thanks ninianboy. The word was that we would not be signing another midfield player because we have enough of them already, but, certainly, in terms of pace, they are all much of a muchness to me .We are putting more of a premium on ball retention these days and I'm certainly not complaining about that, but when you factor in the lack of real pace in our midfield, it can mean that we look very slow and deliberate (hence easy to defend against) in our passing.I'm aware that being critical of a team which is winning can look like whingeing just because they are not playing in the way that you want them to, but teams will figure us out eventually and, when that happens, I can't see any way of getting any pace and counter attacking potency into our team unless we use Ameobi as an attacking central midfielder. This would, in all likelihood see us switching to a 4-5-1 and everything we know about Russell Slade says he is reluctant to move from his favourite 4-4-2.I still feel midfield is the area where we could do with a new player most, but with Macheda out for months apparently and Saadi going to be missing for a few weeks, we are short of options up front now. We are doing well in terms of league position and results and you'd like to think that increasing confidence will bring about better performances, but I'm still not convinced that we have enough to maintain a top six challenge over a period of months. We can change it by playing No one, Kennedy or Ameobi out wide.However I think the result will be a midfield that is 2 nd best and overrun.For the first time for many years we are winning the midfield battle week after week and the opposition are creating very few chances.

Jimmy the Jock
13-09-15, 12:08
I think it's about expectation really.Given last season was a total nightmare I am enthused and positive.

Lawnmower
13-09-15, 12:11
I'm fairly happy with the way we are playing and although we looked a little lethargic and disjointed for the first 45-60, we were comfortable and creating more than Huddersfield.See you on the bus to Rotherham then 😄

14TheFuture
13-09-15, 12:30
I felt it was a routine and predictable victory yesterday. People seem to forget we finished top half last season whilst being dreadful. We are much better this season already and I would say the way we are playing, the Play-Offs are a certainty at the very least.

I went to my first home game of the season yesterday and having had a little break from club footie and focusing on internationals, I was taken aback the sheer negativity around Cardiff City. If we keep possession, there's heckles. If we make a long measured ball forward that doesn't quite make it cue heckling... It's all very unsupportive and rather sad.

14TheFuture
13-09-15, 12:36
The funny thing is, with all the football geniuses in the stadium saying the first half was awful, actually couldn't see we were the much fitter side and if we sapped their energy our quality would kill them in the second half. I call that fantastic game management by Slade and the players.

We can't go at every team in a swashbuckling manner, every single game. We saw that in the days of DJ, where we got at teams early on... But how often would we just burn out of the game? For everyone who longs for the days of DJ, he was unsuccessful. His formula didn't work. Starting fast and ending poorly, isn't any better than vice-versa. Perhaps it is actually worse.

Lawnmower
13-09-15, 12:48
The funny thing is, with all the football geniuses in the stadium saying the first half was awful, actually couldn't see we were the much fitter side and if we sapped their energy our quality would kill them in the second half. I call that fantastic game management by Slade and the players.At the moment with the pressure on him Slade is doing the right job and accumulating points

Barry Shitpeas
13-09-15, 12:54
It's just quite incredible that highly paid professional footballers are incapable of playing a full game! It's not like Jones and Ameobi have both returned from long term injuries or anything. http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/shrug.gif

Jimmy the Jock
13-09-15, 18:18
I'm fairly happy with the way we are playing and although we looked a little lethargic and disjointed for the first 45-60, we were comfortable and creating more than Huddersfield.
However this is better than I expected, maybe you and the thousands who were not enthused yesterday expect more.Who you travelling with?

Feedback
13-09-15, 18:25
http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/ (http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/)Oh come on, you know football better than that.

Jimmy the Jock
13-09-15, 18:28
http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/ (http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/)
Whilst that is a fair match report ,I personally found it surprisingly negative.Nottingham forest.

Lawnmower
13-09-15, 18:39
However this is better than I expected, maybe you and the thousands who were not enthused yesterday expect more.
Given 2 years ago we were beating Man City and Swansea and drawing with Man U and Everton I can see why.I don't want to put people off so I've Pm'd you 😄

rs3100
13-09-15, 18:49
I think Whittingham looks w better player with ameobi on the pitch. I think his pace allows Whittingham to play the ball behind the defence, turning them. Essentially he's an outlet the type which jones and mason unfortunately can't be.

Former Labour leader
13-09-15, 19:52
Thanks for the report Bob. Much appreciated. Bit mean though. Many games at this level are dour affairs, with games begin won by the odd goal.
Once we had sorted the Terriers out we won comfortably enough. A routine win, one that I was quite happy with.