PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new car

My Name is Dave.
08-10-15, 10:29
Is it worth waiting and seeing if the prices go down?

Surely they will be bargain prices soon?

Anyone in the trade know the score?

Wrong Side of the Severn
08-10-15, 12:08
I own one of the affected vehicles and the forums are telling me that prices have already dropped by 2% in the UK and 13% in the USA. The fix for affected vehicles will affect both performance and fuel consumption. First fixes will begin in January so I would expect to see a lot of vehicles up for sale after that which will mean lower prices. I wouldn't buy any of the VW brands at present unless you opt for the petrol engined models which are unaffected by the scandal.

Kiffa
08-10-15, 12:12
I own one of the affected vehicles and the forums are telling me that prices have already dropped by 2% in the UK and 13% in the USA. The fix for affected vehicles will affect both performance and fuel consumption. First fixes will begin in January so I would expect to see a lot of vehicles up for sale after that which will mean lower prices. I wouldn't buy any of the VW brands at present unless you opt for the petrol engined models which are unaffected by the scandal.I'm not really expecting the fix to have too detrimental an effect on power or mpg

My Name is Dave.
08-10-15, 12:25
Just looking for a bargain really, I was hoping that some dealer may offer discounts , even losses just to get stock off their forecourt

Optimistic Nick
08-10-15, 12:26
I own one of the affected vehicles and the forums are telling me that prices have already dropped by 2% in the UK and 13% in the USA. The fix for affected vehicles will affect both performance and fuel consumption. First fixes will begin in January so I would expect to see a lot of vehicles up for sale after that which will mean lower prices. I wouldn't buy any of the VW brands at present unless you opt for the petrol engined models which are unaffected by the scandal.I've got a VW diesel. I don't give a shit what it's emissions are. I bought it privately, but I do wonder if I would be able to get some compensation if I'd bought from a dealer. I hope not. I don't want VW going under because of this, they make good cars.

Jimmy the Jock
08-10-15, 12:49
Just looking for a bargain really, I was hoping that some dealer may offer discounts , even losses just to get stock off their forecourtIt doesn't affect the transporter old or new or any petrol cars.

Alex DeLarge
08-10-15, 12:50
Just looking for a bargain really, I was hoping that some dealer may offer discounts , even losses just to get stock off their forecourt
The problem is soley the euro 5 engines ,1.6 tdi engine in most of their models from the golf to the caddy.It's affecting my 2.0l TDIe EU5 engine.

Jimmy the Jock
08-10-15, 12:57
The problem is soley the euro 5 engines ,1.6 tdi engine in most of their models from the golf to the caddy.
The new 1.6 engines are euro 6 so are not affected. How do I know? Because VW told me .... http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/getmycoat.gif I have a new caravelle on order and would cancel it if what you say is correct?

Jimmy the Jock
08-10-15, 12:58
I see you answered the engine query. http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif

Alex DeLarge
08-10-15, 12:59
The problem is soley the euro 5 engines ,1.6 tdi engine in most of their models from the golf to the caddy.
The new 1.6 engines are euro 6 so are not affected. How do I know? Because VW told me .... http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/getmycoat.gif
It doesn't affect the transporter old or new or any petrol cars.It's a 2012 A4.

redjk
08-10-15, 13:00
I bet the vast majority of drivers out there don't bother to get the car fixed if it affects performance or fuel consumption.
The amount of emissions it produces only makes it equivalent to a diesel car from a few years previously anyway, such has been the massive tightening in emissions standards

08-10-15, 13:09
It grates me that we were all told to go out and buy Diesels by the Government and some organisations some years back and now we are becoming told we are the demon polluters. #dieselpower!

Wrong Side of the Severn
08-10-15, 15:04
The new 1.6 engines are euro 6 so are not affected. How do I know? Because VW told me .... http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/getmycoat.gif
It doesn't affect the transporter old or new or any petrol cars.Euro 5 Audi's are affected so my q3 is in need of a fix. There are also people reporting that some q5's with euro 6 engines are coming up as in need of a fix on the Audi website when they put in their vin numbers.

Wrong Side of the Severn
08-10-15, 15:07
I own one of the affected vehicles and the forums are telling me that prices have already dropped by 2% in the UK and 13% in the USA. The fix for affected vehicles will affect both performance and fuel consumption. First fixes will begin in January so I would expect to see a lot of vehicles up for sale after that which will mean lower prices. I wouldn't buy any of the VW brands at present unless you opt for the petrol engined models which are unaffected by the scandal.
If the fix is to reduce emissions per mile, how on earth does it make sense to negatively affect consumption?!I'm just reporting the points made in the technical press and various views expressed on the Audi q3 forum who are all over this issue. I can't provide links as this is being typed on my phone from Tenerife.

Jimmy the Jock
08-10-15, 15:09
It doesn't affect the transporter old or new or any petrol cars.
It's affecting my 2.0l TDIe.Thats interesting , my local dealer told me only euro 5 and 1.6....I have emailed them a few minutes ago to see what they say.

BlueWales
08-10-15, 16:12
If you had your ear to the ground for the past 9 or 10 months you could have seen this coming.

I wanted a medium size SUV with 4 wheel drive as I now live in deepest Wiltshire but when I started looking
I picked up on the way cities were becoming very anti - diesel with added congestion charges or bans so only looked at petrol SUV's. I still needed to go to London several times a year.

Only Honda , Ford and VW were doing them at the time and by the time I started test driving VW had stopped selling their petrol SUV.

Petrol Honda CRV AWD it was then. Narrow escape.
As someone posted above probably millions of car owners got shafted by Government hype and tax relief on
so called clean diesel.