PDA

View Full Version : Rare Match of the Day action with Bluebirds legends.

the other bob wilson
21-01-16, 13:30
I know it's a bit late to be posting this now, but I think there are still places available if any one is interested.

http://www.ccfctrust.org/

Cretin Hop
21-01-16, 13:42
Wonder if they will show the one when Don Murrays back pass stuck in the mud leading I think to an opposition goal?
Idwal Robling commentating.

the other bob wilson
21-01-16, 16:10
Wonder if they will show the one when Don Murrays back pass stuck in the mud leading I think to an opposition goal?Saw a few Don Murray back passes lead to opposition goals in my time, but that sounds like the one that gave Sunderland a 2-1 win on a a truly dreadful pitch in November 71 when Ian Gibson played them on his own.

the other bob wilson
25-01-16, 07:27
The Trust have just sent this out to members - as one of the thirty five who went along, I can say that this is a fair summary of an enjoyable and entertaining night, thank you and well done to all involved.

"A Night of Memories

The clock was turned back to the 1970s when the Trust organised an event of football chat and film at the Rose and Crown pub ,Graig, Pontypridd.

The idea for the event on Thursday, January 21, came from Richard Shepherd, Cardiff City's club historian and was taken forward by the Trust board. David Craig, the Trust's vice chairman, undertook the work necessary to ensure the event was a success.

Richard had uncovered some film at Ninian Park which everyone thought was lost. The film showed City's games from the 1969-70 and 1970-71 seasons and it was part of the Match of the Day programmes from that period. Richard had the film converted into CDs and these were used at the event.

Peter Jackson, the South Wales Echo's Cardiff City reporter during those years and players Gary Bell, Bobby Woodruff and Leighton Phillips were contacted to invite them to attend. They all accepted without hesitation. This is an indication of the comradeship that still exists between them.

On the night, Richard Shepherd introduced and commented on the film and invited Peter and the players to share their memories of the particular games shown and of life under manager,Jimmy Scoular,in general. As you can imagine,this resulted in many tasty, hilarious anecdotes. Everything the players said demonstrated clearly how attached they were to Jimmy and to The Bluebirds.

David Craig thanked all those involved in making the night such a success and offered special thanks to Chris (Snowy) Insole and his staff at the Rose and Crown. The venue with its new, large screen was ideal for the event. Chris also provided refreshments free of charge. David also said that throughout the build up to the night Chris was always available and prepared to help and that this showed that he is a true friend of the Cardiff City Supporters' Trust.

Thirty five people turned out on a wet and windy night and David finished by thanking all Trust members who turned out on the night to support the event. A raffle was held which raised £82 for the Trust. It had been a night of good memories."

Enoch Mort
25-01-16, 10:21
It sounds as if it was a good night. I was unable to go but I did go recently to the Fans Forum organised by the Trust at the Plough Inn at Aberaman with Rob Phillips and Jason Perry which was also excellent. That event was a repeat so, hopefully, the Trust can arrange the Richard Shepherd night again at another venue http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif

epping blue
25-01-16, 10:51
Talking of match of the day action, I've looked many times and failed to find Adrian Alston's shot from the kick off in 76 ( I think ). The game was on Match of the day and it must be out there somewhere. Surely there must be someone a bit more capable than me who could dig it out.

Since62
25-01-16, 11:14
It sounds as if it was a good night. I was unable to go but I did go recently to the Fans Forum organised by the Trust at the Plough Inn at Aberaman with Rob Phillips and Jason Perry which was also excellent. That event was a repeat so, hopefully, the Trust can arrange the Richard Shepherd night again at another venue http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/thumbup.gif Keith

Since62
25-01-16, 11:21
Wonder if they will show the one when Don Murrays back pass stuck in the mud leading I think to an opposition goal?Highlight for me though was an absolute screamer of a volleyed goal by Peter King - would have graced a goal of the season competition any year.

the other bob wilson
25-01-16, 11:27
Talking of match of the day action, I've looked many times and failed to find Adrian Alston's shot from the kick off in 76 ( I think ). The game was on Match of the day and it must be out there somewhere. Surely there must be someone a bit more capable than me who could dig it out.I've just spent a while trying to find a video of it without any luck. There is a Brighton site which tends to be very good for this sort of thing, but, although they had a video of them on Match of the Day for that season, it wasn't of the City match.

veryoldbluebird
25-01-16, 13:11
Talking about Adrian Alston,this is a clip showing Alston doing 'The Cruyff Turn' a few days before Johan Cruyff did it.It should be called 'The Alston Turn' http://www.ccmb.co.uk/images/smiley_icons/ayatollah.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LdacqRJ3KE