PDA

View Full Version : Barry John

splott parker
14-03-16, 15:44
He was sat next to me in The Borough on Saturday dinner time, I found it ironic that he went to the bar to ask if the rugby commentary could be turned down as he was watching the racing on the telly by us:hehe:

Elysium
14-03-16, 19:03
He was sat next to me in The Borough on Saturday dinner time, I found it ironic that he went to the bar to ask if the rugby commentary could be turned down as he was watching the racing on the telly by us:hehe:

Dinner time? England v Wales didn't start until 4.00pm.

BLUETIT
14-03-16, 19:09

Ingurlund started at 4pm, Wales started at 5pm. :hehe:

Heathblue
14-03-16, 19:09

Isn't dinner time, the posh way of saying tea time ?

Elysium
14-03-16, 19:16
Isn't dinner time, the posh way of saying tea time ?

Indeed it is. Which is why. Know the OP meant lunch time.

Barry Butlins
14-03-16, 19:43
Ingurlund started at 4pm, Wales started at 5pm. :hehe:

:hehe: Very witty!

City123
14-03-16, 19:52
Dinner can mean dinner as in lunch or dinner as in tea

Vimana.
14-03-16, 20:01
Dinner can mean dinner as in lunch or dinner as in tea

Or, Dinner can mean dinner as in lunch or .. dinner as in dinner. ;)

Tea is deemed to be earlier than Dinner.
Supper is deemed to be later than Dinner.
Or so I believe.
FWIW and all that.

BLUETIT
14-03-16, 20:04
Or, Dinner can mean dinner as in lunch or .. dinner as in dinner. ;)

Tea is deemed to be earlier than Dinner.
Supper is deemed to be later than Dinner.
Or so I believe.
FWIW and all that.

When's TIFFIN then

Elysium
14-03-16, 20:10
When's TIFFIN then

Dinner time generally takes place after 8.30pm, well after the game would gave finished. No wonder Barry John wanted to wAtch anything but the rugby.

SOXY BOY
14-03-16, 20:17
Perhaps he wanted the Ireland/Italy game turned down.

Llanedeyrnblue
14-03-16, 20:42
When's TIFFIN then

15-00 hrs

jeepster
14-03-16, 20:47
I thought a tiffin was a chocolate bar:biggrin:

Llanedeyrnblue
14-03-16, 20:49
I thought a tiffin was a chocolate bar:biggrin:

Yeah I was thinking that too, haven't seen them in about 30 years if not longer

jeepster
14-03-16, 21:08
Yeah I was thinking that too, haven't seen them in about 30 years if not longer

Nor me, they were so nice.

goats
14-03-16, 22:27
I think it's sad he just drinks in his own in the boro or halfway all day everyday. What a bad way to end up from a guy who had it all once

light up the darkness
15-03-16, 01:36
In South India and in Nepal, tiffin is generally a snack between meals: dosas, idlis, etc In other parts of India, such as Mumbai, the word mostly refers to a packed lunch of some sort. In Mumbai, it is often forwarded to them by dabbawalas, sometimes known as tiffin wallahs, who use a complex system to get thousands of tiffin-boxes to their destinations.

Tiffin often consists of rice, dal, curry, vegetables, chapatis or "spicy meats".[8] In addition, the lunch boxes are themselves called tiffin carriers, tiffin-boxes or just tiffins.

splott parker
15-03-16, 07:29
Perhaps he wanted the Ireland/Italy game turned down.

It was that game, it was on before we left to go down the City

splott parker
15-03-16, 07:32
Dinner time generally takes place after 8.30pm, well after the game would gave finished. No wonder Barry John wanted to wAtch anything but the rugby.

Breakfast, dinner and tea, in that order, always has been, always will be. If you're having a few pints in the day, it's a dinner time session. Did you have 'lunch ladies' or 'dinner ladies' in your school, if you had 'lunch ladies' you must have gone to school on another planet. Glad I cleared that up for you

Elysium
15-03-16, 07:34
It was that game, it was on before we left to go down the City

At lunch time then???

splott parker
15-03-16, 07:35
Indeed it is. Which is why. Know the OP meant lunch time.

I live in the real world, while you.............:facepalm:

splott parker
15-03-16, 07:36
At lunch time then???

Nope, it was definitely dinner time, about one o'clock.

Elysium
15-03-16, 07:38
Nope, it was definitely dinner time, about one o'clock.

If you like, then.

Culver Blue
15-03-16, 09:18
I think it's sad he just drinks in his own in the boro or halfway all day everyday. What a bad way to end up from a guy who had it all once

Has he been banned from the Old Arcade then? He'd turn into a fvckin' 1920's All Blacks jersey if he was in there any longer.

Rjk
15-03-16, 09:28
Dinner I think comes from a Latin root, where it meant the largest meal if the dasy, and was generally taken at the middle of the day.
Anyone else is doing it wrong.

Rocco Siffredi
15-03-16, 09:57
We had dinner ladies in junior school , sure wasn't there after 4.00

SLUDGE FACTORY
15-03-16, 13:26
The bloke is an alcoholic........ He needs to get dry or one of this country's legends of sport will soon pop it

BLUETIT
15-03-16, 14:22
Has he been banned from the Old Arcade then? He'd turn into a fvckin' 1920's All Blacks jersey if he was in there any longer.

No, he just came to his senses and realized the Old Arcade is an overpriced shithole

gnasher
15-03-16, 14:43
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/2360340/Barry-John-the-greatest-Lion-of-them-all.html

Barry John is one of the greatest rugby players to ever grace the game, the excellent article above sets out to show what a magnificent player he was.

So what if he enjoys himself by having a few pints and a bet round the local pubs of Cardiff? Whenever I see him he is always affable and ready to give up his time.

Or would he go up in your estimations if he lived behind a bullshit wall of media paparazzi like David Beckham?

SLUDGE FACTORY
15-03-16, 15:42
A few pints ?

Lol

gnasher
15-03-16, 15:54
A few pints ?

Lol

What's the man's consumption or alcohol got to do with it? The man was one of the greatest players to grace the game.

He could lock himself away in some celeb ivory castle but he prefers to go out enjoy a bet and a pint and make himself accessible to others who enjoy the game.

I really can't see the problem.

Nottingham_Blue
15-03-16, 17:40
15-00 hrs

In Nottingham Tiffin (https://plus.google.com/photos/photo/115803327778927739452/6222227043898543986) serves between 9am and 5pm.

valley boy
15-03-16, 18:02
He seems to cut a sad figure.It seems a shame as he could have had everything.As long as he is happy good luck to him he is not harming anybody and is a true legend of sport. Pity he bowed out of the spotlight so early.

dandywarhol
15-03-16, 20:06
Thers a documentary about him not so long ago.He lives in sheltered housing and separated fom his mrs

Arfur Europe
15-03-16, 20:44
Forgive my ignorance here but why did he retire so early?

BLUETIT
15-03-16, 20:47

something to do with all blacks and wives

Arfur Europe
15-03-16, 20:50
something to do with all blacks and wives

He got caught shagging All Blakcs wives so quit the game? :shrug:

TruBlue
15-03-16, 22:57

He claimed the pressure of fame was too much.

I used to see him up the Butchers in Llandaff quite often. Seemed like a decent enough bloke, enjoyed a couple of pints but nothing excessive. Can't see the problem myself. (not that you've suggested there is)

Retired bloke has a few pints and a bit, then goes home to his retirement apartment, nothing millions of others don't do everyday.

Vimana.
15-03-16, 23:21
He claimed the pressure of fame was too much.

I used to see him up the Butchers in Llandaff quite often. Seemed like a decent enough bloke, enjoyed a couple of pints but nothing excessive. Can't see the problem myself. (not that you've suggested there is)

Retired bloke has a few pints and a bit, then goes home to his retirement apartment, nothing millions of others don't do everyday.

And a bit, indeed.

I happened upon an exuberant Mr John in hostelries a couple of times over the years.
Hope he keeps it in check.

TruBlue
15-03-16, 23:23
And a bit, indeed.

I happened upon an exuberant Mr John in hostelries a couple of times over the years.
Hope he keeps it in check.

Opppsss, I meant a bet. :facepalm:

goats
16-03-16, 08:39
A few pints ?

Lol

Just a few eh, just enough to lose everything you had, your marriage etc, huge house in Radyr. Wonder how often he sees his 3 once very good looking daughters and son. Don't see them with him having a laugh in the halfway. It's great to be an alcoholic hey.

Peajay
16-03-16, 08:42

I agree, he was the David Beckham of rugby, a sad way to go. A real legend when rugby was a game of skill rather than huge blokes crashing in to each other. I was about to type we will never see such a fall again but then remembered Gazza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVK1XU8k2AA

Culver Blue
16-03-16, 08:50
No, he just came to his senses and realized the Old Arcade is an overpriced shithole

A moment of sobriety then. :biggrin:

fingers
16-03-16, 10:40
No need for words

SLUDGE FACTORY
16-03-16, 23:35
It's a terrible illness and he has got it , I hope he sorts things out , a great great player , now he's just a pub bore