Fuel frozen
Severn bridge tolls halved
Personal allowance up to 11.5k
40% tax threshold gone up
after school activities (in England)
class 2 NI contributions scrapped.
booze frozen
plus many more

A brilliant budget for the self employed and business owners, and anyone that wants to save some money in a isa.

Well done mr.Osbourne, for looking after the people that want to get off their ass and make something of themselves.

Llanedeyrnblue
16-03-16, 17:29
Severn bridge tolls set to fall in two years time

Some disabled facing cuts can't get of their arse to make something of themselves

Ainsley Harriott
16-03-16, 17:35
Here we go http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Food/eating-popcorn-04.gif

First 5 pager of the new board?

Vimana.
16-03-16, 17:39
A brilliant budget for the self employed and business owners, and anyone that wants to save some money in a isa.

Well done mr.Osbourne, for looking after the people that want to get off their ass and make something of themselves.

So long as you are OK Jack, I'm sure to be entirely happy with it. ;)

Perhaps we should all be self employed then?! I mean, not sure how society would actually function, but it would force the feckless, workshy disabled into getting off their asses at least , eh? ..!

Well done Mr Osbourne and the Tories. :thumbs:

kingbillyboy
16-03-16, 17:40
new dividend tax will probably negate any benefit to small companies.

surge
16-03-16, 17:43
Thank goodness 40% tax threshold gone up while those sick and disabled lose out on vital support.

Charlie
16-03-16, 17:45
Corporation tax down to 17%
Fuel frozen
booze frozen
plus many more

And all done with the miserly cost of the dignity of the disabled.
Well done Mr Osborne...

Llanedeyrnblue
16-03-16, 17:46
As for the isa's no good if you're over 40

Barry Butlins
16-03-16, 17:50
OP sounds like a typical Tory .. interested in himself, and himself only. And a few people like him that he would like to ingratiate himself upon.

Nice.

jon1959
16-03-16, 18:06
OP sounds like a typical plastic Man U Tory .. interested in himself, and himself only. And a few people like him that he would like to ingratiate himself upon.

Nice.

FYP

RichardM
16-03-16, 18:40
Fuel frozen
booze frozen
plus many more

Let's hope that the £3.5 billion of cuts that will fund this won't effect you

Heathblue
16-03-16, 18:48
As someone who doesn't follow/support any political party, it's a decent budget unless,
You're Skint
Jobless
Have no prospects
Homeless
It's a Tory budget no doubt and if you have a foot on the ladder you're getting a bunk up

surge
16-03-16, 18:51
And, not so much a criticism but a question about something not properly fleshed out, what do the teachers think about being asked to stay an extra hour? I like the idea of children being given the extra opportunity but I am also very aware, via Rhod Gilbert's work experience or my own facebook, teachers already work long into the evening. We're already in a position where more teachers are leaving than coming in, not to mention that for some pupils an extra hour in school will not be a good thing.

I also don't see how the introduction of academies will have any impact on the minority of privately educated dominating the top positions (there is not any evidence I've seen that they do better) and it would appear to be a massive upheaval just to tick off a pet project. There should be some middle ground between dictating that the curriculum should be more British and giving up on education all together.

While halving the Severn Bridge toll will be welcomed, what is the justification for it at all? Where does the money go and will Wales be better served by scrapping it altogether?

Pearcey3
16-03-16, 18:59
Agreed Surge. There will be problems ahead with the teaching profession as more hacked off teachers leave the profession.

life on mars
16-03-16, 19:03
And, not so much a criticism but a question about something not properly fleshed out, what do the teachers think about being asked to stay an extra hour? I like the idea of children being given the extra opportunity but I am also very aware, via Rhod Gilbert's work experience or my own facebook, teachers already work long into the evening. We're already in a position where more teachers are leaving than coming in, not to mention that for some pupils an extra hour in school will not be a good thing.

I also don't see how the introduction of academies will have any impact on the minority of privately educated dominating the top positions (there is not any evidence I've seen that they do better) and it would appear to be a massive upheaval just to tick off a pet project. There should be some middle ground between dictating that the curriculum should be more British and giving up on education all together.

While halving the Severn Bridge toll will be welcomed, what is the justification for it at all? Where does the money go and will Wales be better served by scrapping it altogether?

I have always felt that the Severn Bridge tolls are a barrier ( excuse the pun ) to business with large fleets of vehicles investing in Wales , so scrap them, altogether for business vehicles and build an economy , charge disabled badge vehicles a small fee ,and don't let motorcyclist through free .

jon1959
16-03-16, 19:12
Sugar Tax is good.

Some small print headline grabbers re alcohol, fuel (frozen), allowances (increased) and tolls (reduced) - offset by cuts elsewhere that will hit most of the beneficiaries.

As others have said the main victims of this budget will be the poor and disabled. The privatisation of public services continues.

However, his own debt and growth forecasts from the autumn turn out to be rubbish and the new 5 year forecasts seem to rely on someone waving a magic wand in year 5 to make the numbers add up! Andrew Neil (Tory) and Laura Kuenssberg (usually uncritical of Tories) picked that up in tweets while Gideon was speaking:

Andrew Neil ✔ ‎@afneil
Main point that strikes me so far is that forecast for 2019/20 surplus involves £30bn fiscal turnaround one ONE year!!

Laura Kuenssberg ✔ ‎@bbclaurak
The mystery so far... how do you go from borrowing nearly 40bn in 2018 and by 2020 have more than 10bn to play with?

Interesting that Osbourne is going further with the hypothecating of specific 'new' income streams to specific spending programmes. I don't think this is quite as ringfenced as claimed, but it does at least pretend to bring some greater transparency into Treasury decisions, e.g.:

- The £520m expected to be raised from the Sugar Tax to be spent on school sport (extra money or in place of other funding?).

- The 0.5% rise in insurance premium tax (how much in £m?) to go on on fund 5 flood defence projects in Cumbria and Yorkshire.

life on mars
16-03-16, 19:13
Sugar Tax is good.

Some small print headline grabbers re alcohol, fuel (frozen), allowances (increased) and tolls (reduced) - offset by cuts elsewhere that will hit most of the beneficiaries.

However, his own debt and growth forecasts from the autumn turn out to be rubbish and the new 5 year forecasts seem to rely on someone waving a magic wand in year 5 to make the numbers add up! Andrew Neil (Tory) and Laura Kuenssberg (usually uncritical of Tories) picked that up in tweets while Gideon was speaking:

Andrew Neil ✔ ‎@afneil
Main point that strikes me so far is that forecast for 2019/20 surplus involves £30bn fiscal turnaround one ONE year!!

The mystery so far... how do you go from borrowing nearly 40bn in 2018 and by 2020 have more than 10bn to play with?

Interesting that Osbourne is going further with the hypothecating of specific 'new' income streams to specific spending programmes. I don't think this is quite as ringfenced as claimed, but it does at least pretend to bring some greater transparency into Treasury decisions, e.g.:

- The £520m expected to be raised from the Sugar Tax to be spent on school sport (extra money or in place of other funding?).

- The 0.5% rise in insurance premium tax (how much in £m?) to go on on fund 5 flood defence projects in Cumbria and Yorkshire.

Gosh really

"" Fines from the Libor financial scandal will help support children's hospital services, the Chancellor has announced ""

TruBlue
16-03-16, 19:21

The money has gone to a private French company previously. I assume the government will take control in 2018 as in their original agreement, so instead of actually losing money the government will be making more than they had previously.

kingbillyboy
16-03-16, 19:46
The money has gone to a private French company previously. I assume the government will take control in 2018 as in their original agreement, so instead of actually losing money the government will be making more than they had previously.

thats not quite true is it? it is a consortium of companies, only one of which happens to be French. The money doesn't simply get shipped straight to france.

Barry Dragon
16-03-16, 20:02
As someone who doesn't follow/support any political party, it's a decent budget unless,
You're Skint
Jobless
Have no prospects
Homeless
It's a Tory budget no doubt and if you have a foot on the ladder you're getting a bunk up

ITs a Tory budget, its good for those that are working. Everyone earning from £10k is better off. Below that and on benefits or mega rich and a tax dodger and your worse off.

Great for small business. Bad for mega rich tax dodging businesses.

Kiffa
16-03-16, 20:08
ITs a Tory budget, its good for those that are working. Everyone earning from £10k is better off. Below that and on benefits or mega rich and a tax dodger and your worse off.

Great for small business. Bad for mega rich tax dodging businesses.

:hehe:

Yeh right

Barry Dragon
16-03-16, 20:14

Yeh right

Source?

Plenty of loopholes closed today that are abused by big corporations that dont have any morals

Vimana.
16-03-16, 20:15
Source?

Plenty of loopholes closed today that are abused by big corporations that dont have any morals

Cool. Really hope that turns out to be the case.

Kiffa
16-03-16, 20:27
Cool. Really hope that turns out to be the case.

I bet google are shitting themselves

surge
16-03-16, 21:39
I know that the tolls currently go to private companies but was wondering whether, when they are brought back into British hands, they will be going to the Welsh government and/or Welsh projects or whether they would be going into the general pool.

On The Last Leg Adam Hills and gang made comments that suggested the disabled had already been hit harder than most groups with spending cuts so a further cut to their support (if it does mainly impact their travel access then we'll have perfectly fit politicians who claim to drive minutes down the road deciding to make disabled people less independent with the view of making them want to get out and go to work) and while this won't be felt by everyone we shouldn't forget that in 2012 George Osbourne was one of the few people booed at the Olympics/Para-Olympics.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the steps the Tory party have taken away from their green pledges before 2010 and alongside the Lib Dems up until 2015. Was there really enough/any focus on climate change in the budget and while we wait to hear about what is happening with the Swansea tidal lagoon this must be a worry for those invested in the fantastic boost it would bring to Wales and concerned about long term flood risk (although the budget did deal with short term) increasing.

The sugar tax, however, is a good step where the government has listened to experts and taking steps, though perhaps not universally popular, to improve things.

City123
16-03-16, 21:49
Come the election the Conservatives will be promising to put £1.2bn into disabled benefits

Teachers are over-worked as it is, the essential services in this country (Teachers, Police, NHS etc) are all criminally over-worked, under-paid and under-staffed, f*ck the EU debate and Cameron sticking his d*ck in a pig let's sort out the real problems that face this country, not the ones the media claim are the important issues

City123
16-03-16, 22:14
I think the Barry Horns put it best..

https://twitter.com/thebarryhorns/status/710227064192933888

Harry Monk
16-03-16, 22:33
Academies - The first step to denying ordinary kids a decent education. Control taken from governing bodies and handed to private enterprise who will run them for a profit (much like the NHS and Police are heading towards rapidly).

Sugar Tax - A political stunt. The tax is expected to bring £520m into the treasury, clearly a tax imposed to gain revenue, and not to discourage sugar intake.

Severn Tolls - We were promised they'd be abolished.

Ainsley Harriott
16-03-16, 22:56
Academies - The first step to denying ordinary kids a decent education. Control taken from governing bodies and handed to private enterprise who will run them for a profit (much like the NHS and Police are heading towards rapidly).

Being from Barry, I would wholeheartedly support a move towards our schools becoming academies.

Barry Comprehensive is currently a disgrace, and the other 3 aren't much better at all. I can't see our local authority in the Vale improving these any time soon.

life on mars
16-03-16, 23:02
Source?

Bloody far lefties

SLUDGE FACTORY
16-03-16, 23:23
Tory scum attacking the disabled again , and giving the I am all right jack bastards like Nugent a backhander , great budget my arse

The Bob Banker Spanker
16-03-16, 23:33
Whilst delighted originally at the news of the Severn tolls being halved in 2018.
One has to think how much "they" (whoever they are) will increase them in 2017?
We're all hoping for a £3 something toll in 2 years time but is it against the realms of possibility for £3 increase on Jan 1st 2017?

Badly Ironed Shirt
16-03-16, 23:36
Severn bridge tolls set to fall in two years time

Some disabled facing cuts can't get of their arse to make something of themselves

It's the 2020 budget that will be fun. Somehow, Georgie has to report a surplus. He's merely postponing the inevitable.

tommy31
16-03-16, 23:36
I have always felt that the Severn Bridge tolls are a barrier ( excuse the pun ) to business with large fleets of vehicles investing in Wales , so scrap them, altogether for business vehicles and build an economy , charge disabled badge vehicles a small fee ,and don't let motorcyclist through free .

Why would they scrap them and risk companies moving to Wales?

Badly Ironed Shirt
16-03-16, 23:40
As for the isa's no good if you're over 40

Those ISAs are going to sting a lot of people. If you are an under 40 home owner and can save £333.33 a month until you are 50 then Georgie will give you £15k. But, you can't get it until you are 60. If you draw anything out you lose
1) Your accrued interest
2) Your "bonus"
3) 5% of your savings.

This scheme could actually make Georgie and his successors a bit of dough. If any

Badly Ironed Shirt
16-03-16, 23:41
Let's hope that the £3.5 billion of cuts that will fund this won't effect you

He's self employed dummy. People getting poorer won't affect their ability to buy his services. Oh, hang on!

Dr Tim Muff
17-03-16, 02:29
Fuel frozen
booze frozen
plus many more

Even sweeter when you know that one third of your good fortune is being paid for by taking money from those feckless disabled c*nts :ayatollah:

Steve R
17-03-16, 04:45
Fuel frozen
booze frozen
plus many more

Steve R
17-03-16, 04:47
Being from Barry, I would wholeheartedly support a move towards our schools becoming academies.

Barry Comprehensive is currently a disgrace, and the other 3 aren't much better at all. I can't see our local authority in the Vale improving these any time soon.

Well said mate.

the other bob wilson
17-03-16, 08:32
It would be very interesting to see what the reaction would be from some of the resident tories on here if a Labour Chancellor had delivered this "fantastic budget" with it's, seemingly, very optimistic view of us having a budget surplus in four years time.

BLUETIT
17-03-16, 08:39
It would be very interesting to see what the reaction would be from some of the resident tories on here if a Labour Chancellor had delivered this "fantastic budget" with it's, seemingly, very optimistic view of us having a budget surplus in four years time.

a Labour Chancellor :hehe::hehe::hehe:

Three words that do not belong together :hehe::hehe: (remember a certain Mr Brown getting a "FANTASTIC" deal with OUR gold

surge
17-03-16, 08:49
Young people have their say on the new ISA: http://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/young-people-say-governments-lifetime-isa-wont-help-them#.wlLMwNlzX

Appreciate the sentiment –– but how many 'Young People' can save an ISA? If you're under 25 there's no living-wage and most are in debt.

Except what over 25's are benefiting from is a rise in minimum wage only.

Research from Shelter released last year showed that almost half of people renting privately who would like to buy a home haven’t saved a single penny towards a deposit, while a further 16% save less than £50 a month.

Max Lifetime ISA help for a deposit saver by 2021: £5k. OBR expected rise in average house price by 2021: £50k.

Colonel Cærdiffi
17-03-16, 08:52
What the people of Britain don't seem to realise is that you can solve all of these problems by simply being rich. It's not rocket science is it?

gnasher
17-03-16, 09:02
The disabled losing upwards of £30 a week in the budget has been offset for me by Jamie Oliver riding round London on a scooter saying "cushty" and "pukka" over plans to put 80 pence on a can of coke.

Kiffa
17-03-16, 09:05
What the people of Britain don't seem to realise is that you can solve all of these problems by simply being rich. It's not rocket science is it?

Here here.

And if you are not already rich, then why not simply get a better paid job?

Can't wrap my melon round it

Barry Dragon
17-03-16, 09:22
Sugar Tax is good.

Andrew Neil ✔ ‎@afneil

This is down to the lower Corporation tax. Existing companies will delay profit until the new 17% rate, so profits and taxes will be artificially lower, and will then be paid in 2020 with the new lower rate. Plus a lower rate will encourage more business to put their profit through the UK. Lowering tax rate from 28% to 20% has increased corporation tax revenues, and Osborne believes reducing it further to 17% will further increase revenues.

lardy
17-03-16, 10:18

Exactly right, if they're gonna sit around all day on their chairs with wheels then they should be punished.

the other bob wilson
17-03-16, 11:10
This is down to the lower Corporation tax. Existing companies will delay profit until the new 17% rate, so profits and taxes will be artificially lower, and will then be paid in 2020 with the new lower rate. Plus a lower rate will encourage more business to put their profit through the UK. Lowering tax rate from 28% to 20% has increased corporation tax revenues, and Osborne believes reducing it further to 17% will further increase revenues.

And I repeat that a Labour Chancellor doing what Osborne did yesterday under exactly the same economic circumstances would be getting it in the neck from the Tories on here for his over optimism regarding a predicted budget surplus by 2020 - I'm no expert on these sort of things, but if an 8% drop in Corporation Tax has not had the desired effect as far as the deficit is concerned, isn't it dubious at least to believe that a further 3% cut will?

blue matt
17-03-16, 11:17

having gone to Barry Boys Comp as a child and then i worked for the council ( part of that was as a carpenter on public buildings, i.e schools ) we knew the schools were run down and patched together, then i moved down here ( just outside Bath ) and got another job as a carpenter and we did some work on local schools, the difference is massive, it really is, i dont know if the schools in england ( or local to me ) get more money, but the difference really is huge

Barry Dragon
17-03-16, 11:28
And I repeat that a Labour Chancellor doing what Osborne did yesterday under exactly the same economic circumstances would be getting it in the neck from the Tories on here for his over optimism regarding a predicted budget surplus by 2020 - I'm no expert on these sort of things, but if an 8% drop in Corporation Tax has not had the desired effect as far as the deficit is concerned, isn't it dubious at least to believe that a further 3% cut will?

TOBW, the reason he has reduced it a further 3% is because the reduction in 8% DID have the desired effect, and he is after more.

Why do you think it hasnt had the desired effect? It increased corporation tax revenue? Thats why he is reducing it more to increase revenues even more??

Dr Lecter
17-03-16, 11:28
It's the 2020 budget that will be fun. Somehow, Georgie has to report a surplus. He's merely postponing the inevitable.

They'll simply shuffle things around, recalculate the figures or find a new way to work out how the numbers are evaluated in order to stick to their "long term economic plan" and look after "hard working taxpayers".

Of course it's all bollox, I know it, you know it and they know it. But as long as there's people like the op and their Man U supporting selfish attitude, then they can keep conning people into believing it.

Unfortunately the only realisitic alternative to these tossers is Labour with their clueless beardy womble running the show so the Tories know that the next election will be harder to lose than get back in.

blue matt
17-03-16, 12:12
Unfortunately the only realisitic alternative to these tossers is Labour with their clueless beardy womble running the show so the Tories know that the next election will be harder to lose than get back in.

and that is the most worrying thing, even " die hard labour voters " will struggle to vote for him

tommy31
17-03-16, 12:50
They'll simply shuffle things around, recalculate the figures or find a new way to work out how the numbers are evaluated in order to stick to their "long term economic plan" and look after "hard working taxpayers".

Of course it's all bollox, I know it, you know it and they know it. But as long as there's people like the op and their Man U supporting selfish attitude, then they can keep conning people into believing it.

We are lucky in wales, in that be can be protected (to a degree) by our own government. That is, if a decent government is elected here.

jeepster
17-03-16, 13:08

So true sorry to say.:frown:

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
17-03-16, 14:09

So you criticise the gullible who will believe govt rhetoric and then you're gullible enough to believe the media perception of Corbyn as a 'clueless beardy womble'. Hmm.

CCFC_Urawa_Reds
17-03-16, 14:34
Fuel Frozen ....... haha .. what a joke that is. Already the highest taxed fuel country in the world. China gets it far, far cheaper. The US gets it far, far, far cheaper. Crooks !

Dr Lecter
17-03-16, 14:49
So you criticise the gullible who will believe govt rhetoric and then you're gullible enough to believe the media perception of Corbyn as a 'clueless beardy womble'. Hmm.

Not at all.

I believe that Corbyn has qualities that most faceless career politicians don't even know exist. I believe he's a man of principle that wants a better country and I respect him for that. However I also believe that he has no idea how to be a leader and the image he portrays is one of a geography teacher who'd struggle to control a year 9 day trip to the Peak District, let alone a government.

Let's be honest, if labour are serious about getting back into power then they need a leader that people can believe in.

Corbyn is not that man.

Kiffa
17-03-16, 15:21
Not at all

I believe that Corbyn has qualities that most faceless career politicians don't even know exist. I believe he's a man of principle that wants a better country and I respect him for that. However I also believe that he has no idea how to be a leader and the image he portrays is one of a geography teacher who'd struggle to control a year 9 day trip to the Peak District, let alone a government.

Let's be honest, if labour are serious about getting back into power then they need a leader that people can believe in.

Corbyn is not that man.

A geography teacher you say?!?!?

You realise in your defence against being gullible to the media perception of corbyn you have reeled off one of the most widely used media perceptions of corbyn don't you?

You sir are Murdoch's dream

Dr Lecter
17-03-16, 15:30
A geography teacher you say?!?!?

You realise in your defence against being gullible to the media perception of corbyn you have reeled off one of the most widely used media perceptions of corbyn don't you?

You sir are Murdoch's dream

Eh?

I'm simply saying that media perception of him is poor, and it's poor for a reason.

I'm not defending anything, I'm simply saying that he's not a natural leader and he comes across poorly.

Do you think he comes across as a strong leader?

Do you think labour have a chance of winning the next general election with him in charge?

Kiffa
17-03-16, 15:39
Eh?

I'm simply saying that media perception of him is poor, and it's poor for a reason.

I'm not defending anything, I'm simply saying that he's not a natural leader and he comes across poorly.

Do you think labour have a chance of winning the next general election with him in charge?

I actually think he is a strong leader. He has principles that he is prepared to stick by unlike most modern career politicians.

Did you think he had a chance of winning the labour leadership elections??

The media perception of him is not driven by his actions or indeed reality. The media create the perception they want you to have and you seem to have fallen for it hook line and sinker

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
17-03-16, 15:48
Eh?

It depends what it you mean by strong leader. It seems a shame that although this is one of the worst governments I can remember, as long as they're well dressed and groomed and sound and stand like a 'leader' they're still voted in, whereas if you have a beard and (I assume by your description) pick up others peoples' litter then to hell with him. And even if you, after suggesting Corbyn has more qualities than your average politician, are helping to perpetuate this idea then it's another nudge down the road of Windsor knotted tools who don't know their tombolos from their spits (figuratively speaking).

Dr Lecter
17-03-16, 16:33
I actually think he is a strong leader. He has principles that he is prepared to stick by unlike most modern career politicians.

Did you think he had a chance of winning the labour leadership elections??

The media perception of him is not driven by his actions or indeed reality. The media create the perception they want you to have and you seem to have fallen for it hook line and sinker

1. I agree he has principles as I've already said above. For that he deserves respect.

2. I had no idea if he would become labour leader. However once I saw the standard of his competition then I could understand why he appeared to be a tempting prospect.

3. You've missed the point. I'm not talking about the media perception, I'm talking about the public perception. Its a bit like the milliband situation. Yes the media portrayed him in a certain way for their own agenda but ultimately the reason why he didn't become prime minister was because people thought he was a bit shit.

Personally I don't think he'll be labour leader in 2020, but if he is then I think the tories will stroll back into power.

surge
17-03-16, 16:43
Not at all.

Corbyn is not that man.

Corbyn does give the impression of a geography teacher but a gentle geography teacher who favours ideas and debate over barbs, spin and making the most vulnerable worse off while the wealthy get an easy ride of things - not in any way a failure. If the biggest criticisms of him is seriously his party doesn't back him (members who seem to favour David "will do nothing to help my brother only to fly in to say you chose the wrong one when he loses and then run away again" Milliband), he doesn't sing the national anthem (but he does stay at the remembrance day parade and meet soldiers long after the press and other leaders have gone) and doesn't back trident (billions on a weapon that doesn't stop the threats that we face today, and any leader who does have to use it has completely failed as a leader of a democratic country and will be responsible for the murder of millions of innocents) then you haven't really mentioned his ideas at all.

Corbyn probably isn't a prime minister in waiting but bring on Corbyn like leaders (be they Tory, Lib Dem, Labour, Greens) of the future as they will lead this country to good things.

City123
17-03-16, 17:16
Corbyn is a man of principle which is why he will never become Prime Minister

Pearcey3
17-03-16, 18:29
The vast majority of the press have done their best to destroy Corbyn without giving him a chance. We only have a democracy of sorts in this country.

Kiffa
17-03-16, 20:33
1. I agree he has principles as I've already said above. For that he deserves respect.

2. I had no idea if he would become labour leader. However once I saw the standard of his competition then I could understand why he appeared to be a tempting prospect.

3. You've missed the point. I'm not talking about the media perception, I'm talking about the public perception. Its a bit like the milliband situation. Yes the media portrayed him in a certain way for their own agenda but ultimately the reason why he didn't become prime minister was because people thought he was a bit shit.

Personally I don't think he'll be labour leader in 2020, but if he is then I think the tories will stroll back into power.

You consistently seem unable to find the link between the public perception and the media perception. Not surprising really having hear you argue the media sound bites as your own opinions

Claude Blue
17-03-16, 21:24
You consistently seem unable to find the link between the public perception and the media perception. Not surprising really having hear you argue the media sound bites as your own opinions

I've had this "media perception" nonsense about Corbyn thrown at me as well and it always makes me chuckle.

I agree with Lecters points about Corbyn and it has nothing to do with how the media portray him.

I watch him at PMQ's as well as a number of interviews he's given over the past few months. Outside of a couple of core areas he's very policy light and weak on detail. He strikes me as someone who cannot think quickly enough, often hesitant and lacking gravitas.

However, he has time to improve but not a long time. I thought his response to the budget was pretty good and that's the hardest job for any opposition leader. So there is hope but if he doesn't improve considerably over the next year then the Labour Party must be ruthless and ditch him.

Eric Cartman
17-03-16, 23:16
I've had this "media perception" nonsense about Corbyn thrown at me as well and it always makes me chuckle.

I agree with Lecters points about Corbyn and it has nothing to do with how the media portray him.

I watch him at PMQ's as well as a number of interviews he's given over the past few months. Outside of a couple of core areas he's very policy light and weak on detail. He strikes me as someone who cannot think quickly enough, often hesitant and lacking gravitas.

However, he has time to improve but not a long time. I thought his response to the budget was pretty good and that's the hardest job for any opposition leader. So there is hope but if he doesn't improve considerably over the next year then the Labour Party must be ruthless and ditch him.

Agreed, I was pleased when Corbyn won because it proved that their is at least some appetite for a left leaning party but I don't see him leading the party to an election victory. I am however really impressed with John McDonnell, in him Labour appear to have found the first politician in history that, in most instances that I have witnessed, directly answers the question he was asked. I am sure someone will mention something he said or did 25 years ago and compare him to Hitler but it is refreshing to watch an interview and hear something other than waffling rhetoric.

NYCBlue
18-03-16, 00:11
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/budget-2016-richest-10-per-cent-of-households-easily-the-biggest-beneficiaries-analysis-finds-a6937386.html

life on mars
18-03-16, 00:42
Why would they scrap them and risk companies moving to Wales?

Well not all Of them ,especially not the Scottish, Irish, Northern and Norfolk ones, however if you look along the M4 going East and the M5 going south a lot of companies large vehicle hub depots base themselves there , I wonder why .

jon1959
18-03-16, 01:08
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/budget-2016-richest-10-per-cent-of-households-easily-the-biggest-beneficiaries-analysis-finds-a6937386.html

Seems the opposition to benefits cuts has reached a tipping point, with (according to many papers tomorrow) dozens of Tory backbenchers willing to rebel.

Osbourne's budget unravelling. U turn to come? This is 'Tax Credit 2'?

Now the small print has been analysed most of the neutral 'expert opinion' is critical and finding its way into the press and online media.

Corbyn getting a lot of respect for the quality and content of his parliamentary response too. Not bad for a geography teacher!

Llanedeyrnblue
18-03-16, 07:05

English schools only

Dr Lecter
18-03-16, 08:43
It's ok everyone. Turns out the budget was just a suggestion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35839282

You couldn't make it up.

Kiffa
18-03-16, 08:48
It's ok everyone. Turns out the budget was just a suggestion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35839282

You couldn't make it up.

Phew

Can we go back to drinking coca cola now?

Dr Lecter
18-03-16, 09:16
Phew

Can we go back to drinking coca cola now?

Of course.

There's a special offer on at the moment.

Anyone in the higher tax bracket can offset the cost against their isa.

Disabled, feckless and geography teachers get beaten to death with a two litre bottle.

Form a queue folks.

TH63
18-03-16, 09:37

I must confess the budget largely passed me by, so thanks for posting that link.

I don't believe that people earning £40k plus should be hammered for tax, but neither can I accept giving them a tax reduction, apparently funded by a reduction in disability benefits.

Sure, I believe people should be encouraged to work, and if people CAN work then they should, but more needs to be done to facilitate their ability to work. If their disabilities are so severe that they cannot work, then any compassionate society should be making sure they have enough money to live on.

The sad truth for me, is that we have a government who I believe is better placed to manage the economy than labour, yet they don't give a toss about the less fortunate.

Sadly, the party that best reflects my own political views will probably never get into government in my lifetime.

Colonel Cærdiffi
18-03-16, 09:48
I must confess the budget largely passed me by, so thanks for posting that link.

I don't believe that people earning £40k plus should be hammered for tax, but neither can I accept giving them a tax reduction, apparently funded by a reduction in disability benefits.

Sure, I believe people should be encouraged to work, and if people CAN work then they should, but more needs to be done to facilitate their ability to work. If their disabilities are so severe that they cannot work, then any compassionate society should be making sure they have enough money to live on.

The sad truth for me, is that we have a government who I believe is better placed to manage the economy than labour, yet they don't give a toss about the less fortunate.

Sadly, the party that best reflects my own political views will probably never get into government in my lifetime.

Don't worry mate, UKIP is growing in popularity all the time.

TH63
18-03-16, 10:01
Don't worry mate, UKIP is growing in popularity all the time.

Er, I don't think so chief. :hehe:

My political views are best described as liberal, but Cleggy managed to commit political suicide

waynekerr55
18-03-16, 16:45

Standards in education won't raise until the fascination in outcomes and vocationally relevant programs are created