View Full Version : Consumer, ebay/paypal advice sought

Mr Soul '68
06-04-16, 18:55
Hello font of all knowledge!

Can someone help me here?

In January I purchased for my partners mother, a Vax carpet cleaner from ebay, for the sum of £79.99. This was to be given as a birthday present to her in February, which we duly gave. One of the main reasons we purchased it, as well as being about 40 quid cheaper than B&Q, was that it had an attachment to clean the stairs and car seats. this was very important has she has a very messy big dog.

When opening the box, she found the attachment was missing, so we contacted the company via ebay. We wanted to send the carpet cleaner back, get our money refunded and go to B&Q and purchase one. They refused to take it back

We complained to paypal, who then reviewed our complaint and after a few weeks came back to us saying they were refusing to refund us as the main item wasn't missing, only an attachment.

Needless to say we are all very peed off at this.

So, where do we go from here? Will complaining to trading standards be of any good? Or are they, as I have been lead to believe, a toothless dragon, who won't fight to get the money refunded?

Any advice gratefully sought.

Many thanks

El Gwapo
06-04-16, 19:03
Surprised at that mate, all the stories Ive heard and in my limited experience of lodging issues they have usually sided with the purchaser for the sake of credibility of their business model. I wouldn't know how to escalate other than to email them suggesting you will take it to trading standards as the goods have to be as described. If the listing said all attachments were inc they should be there. Try consumer helpline here linky link (https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/if-you-need-more-help-about-a-consumer-issue/)

Richyrich
06-04-16, 19:03
Why didn't you just ask for the attachment?

Steve R
06-04-16, 19:07
Are you telling us the whole story?

Very surprised paypal made that decision, legally they won't have a leg to stand on.

Rhiw-Blue
06-04-16, 19:07
No help at all here but if I bought my Mrs/mother/mother in law a vacuum cleaner for their birthday I dread to think the reaction :-)

TruBlue
06-04-16, 19:14
Have you complained to Ebay as well as Paypal?

Send the link to the original advert so we can see it and see if people think it's fair.

Dr Lecter
06-04-16, 20:18
No help at all here but if I bought my Mrs/mother/mother in law a vacuum cleaner for their birthday I dread to think the reaction :-)

Especially one without an attachment.

Jimmy the Jock
06-04-16, 20:42
Have you complained to Ebay as well as Paypal?

Send the link to the original advert so we can see it and see if people think it's fair.

They probably thought he was a right **** for buying anyone a vacuum as a present.

jeepster
06-04-16, 20:45
could have been worse,only the attachment turned up.

Heathblue
06-04-16, 20:49
They probably thought he was a right **** for buying anyone a vacuum as a present.

Thats a bit harsh!!, I just asked my Doris what she is getting me for my forthcoming birfy, A New Starter Motor was the answer :hehe: 1st class service as usual Jimmy, Thank You. :thumbup:

Steve R
06-04-16, 21:14
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e300/zoetal/attachment-unavailable_zps5sttgn9h.png

dandywarhol
06-04-16, 21:14
give them a bad review.works everytime they will offer you a compromise if you change the review to positive works everytime.
I wouldn't buy an expensive item on ebay bought a mobile phone last year had to use this trick to get it back

blue matt
06-04-16, 21:51
You should have opened a ebay dispute instead,

though as you have now gone down the paypal route, you will need to phone and speak to paypal again, ask to speak to the " appeals dept "

I sell a fair bit on ebay and paypal nearly always side with the buyer

though do not forget that paypal are in effect just a facility to move cash from buyer to seller, they have little powers other that to give the money back

Jimmy the Jock
07-04-16, 06:37

though as you have now gone down the paypal route, you will need to phone and speak to paypal again, ask to speak to the " appeals dept "

though do not forget that paypal are in effect just a facility to move cash from buyer to seller, they have little powers other that to give the money back

The poor woman obviously chucked "the attachment " away as soon as she opened the box.

"No love I dont really want a hoover without an attachment for my birthday"

"Dont they sell flowers down the Coop?"

bobh
07-04-16, 07:32
Isn't there a 28 day returns policy on anything bought online?

Barry Dragon
07-04-16, 10:00

This.

You should have gone through eBay for it partially being missing. Very Very Very surprised Paypal didnt side with you, I have never had Paypal side with me as a seller. Just doesn't happen.

You have left it too long to do much about it now though. Why 3 months later are you bring this up? You should have got it sorted straight away.

Leave negative feedback for the seller, and then that is about all you can do so late. Issues need to be raised within 60 days on eBay.

And never be a twat, when I get buyers being arseholes, I drag it out. Nice buyers get the matter sorted straight away.

Barry Dragon
07-04-16, 10:05
give them a bad review.works everytime they will offer you a compromise if you change the review to positive works everytime.
I wouldn't buy an expensive item on ebay bought a mobile phone last year had to use this trick to get it back

doesnt work as well these days. Sellers get a bad mark on their account which stays there even after negative feedback is removed. Sellers now see a negative feedback as case solved because whatever they do now they still have the bad mark on their account. So many see a negative feedback as not worth resolving as its not worth the effort anymore. If a buyer leaves bad feedback without contacting you then they tend not to be worth dealing with, so they simply dont put much effort into trying to getting the matter amicably resolved.

lardy
07-04-16, 10:22
This.

You should have gone through eBay for it partially being missing. Very Very Very surprised Paypal didnt side with you, I have never had Paypal side with me as a seller. Just doesn't happen.

You have left it too long to do much about it now though. Why 3 months later are you bring this up? You should have got it sorted straight away.

Leave negative feedback for the seller, and then that is about all you can do so late. Issues need to be raised within 60 days on eBay.

And never be a twat, when I get buyers being arseholes, I drag it out. Nice buyers get the matter sorted straight away.

Because M-I-L was so angry about being given a vacuum cleaner for a present that she refused to speak to him for all of March.

Barry Dragon
07-04-16, 10:30
Because M-I-L was so angry about being given a vacuum cleaner for a present that she refused to speak to him for all of March.

Going to remember this. Mrs' birthday soon, 3 months without having to speak to her sounds like bliss.