View Full Version : Singer Prince dead

The Bob Banker Spanker
21-04-16, 17:15
RIP to another legend.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36106778

Singer Prince has died at his Paisley Park estate in Minnesota at the age of 57, his publicist tells AP.
Police were called to a medical emergency at his estate earlier on Thursday, US media reported.
Prince became a global superstar in the 1980s, with albums such as 1999, Purple Rain and Sign O' the Times.
He sold more than 100 million records during his career.

life on mars
21-04-16, 17:17
Gosh who next whats Ramsey doing

Richyrich
21-04-16, 17:17
RIP. Great musician. A true legend.

bobh
21-04-16, 17:19
RIP

WTF is going on in celeb-land?

Feedback
21-04-16, 17:23
You mean the artist formerly known as prince

CCFC CASUAL
21-04-16, 17:26
I might be partly to blame.

We started a celebrity condolences board in work and put a picture up on our notice board of dead celebrity. We started with Lemmy and ever since they haven't stopped dying.

Lemmy
The guy from The Eagles
Bowie
Wogan
Paul Daniels
Ronnie Corbet
Johan Cruyff
David Gest

This week alone we've had Raymond's mother, Victoria Wood and now Prince.

Some proper celebrity's amongst that lot.

Ainsley Harriott
21-04-16, 17:33
You mean the artist formerly known as prince

The artist formerly known as living

the other bob wilson
21-04-16, 17:41
Just put Radio 5 on to hear Purple Rain playing and straight away knew that another genius had passed away to go with the one from yesterday.

I can remember getting up on New Years Day 1990 to watch a programme I'd recorded from the night before where a panel of musicians and music journalists nominated their artist of the decade just ended - they picked Prince and they were right.

RIP to possibly the most talented musician of my lifetime.

Llanedeyrnblue
21-04-16, 17:42
R I P

Yet another one this year

bobh
21-04-16, 17:46
The artist formerly known as living

Prince Carles is the prince formerly known as artist.

Colonel Cærdiffi
21-04-16, 17:51
RIP

steve davies
21-04-16, 17:52
Just put Radio 5 on to hear Purple Rain playing and straight away knew that another genius had passed away to go with the one from yesterday.

I can remember getting up on New Years Day 1990 to watch a programme I'd recorded from the night before where a panel of musicians and music journalists nominated their artist of the decade just ended - they picked Prince and they were right.

Saw him over a dozen times paul and you are right one of the most talented musicians ever.

valleys caveman
21-04-16, 17:52
On the Queens Birthday too.

BLUETIT
21-04-16, 17:54
On the Queens Birthday too.

Isn't it tomorrow there yet. ?

Barry Dragon
21-04-16, 17:55
Prince dies on the queens birthday. The royal family do have history with this type of thing. Conspiracy theorists are going to be all over this one.

Elysium
21-04-16, 18:04

RIP indeed but that is a quite ridiculous statement, in my opinion

RichardM
21-04-16, 18:04
He was on my list of people that I should see live but haven't got around to it yet. Too late now :-(

Vimana.
21-04-16, 18:13
Very saddening news.
Perhaps especially as, despite being one of the most incredible and most influential musicians of our times, he was not the sort of person that people talked warmly of, or got to 'like' or 'know' in the same way as many other household names.

Absolutely amazing musician. Very saddened to hear of his passing.

It is apparently widely known that there are sizeable vaults at Paisley Park , supposedly chock-full of incredible material, audio and visual that never got to see the light of day, or that prince just moved on from with no further regard, but that would blow most mere mortal's efforts clean out of the water.
Who knows, we may now get to hear and see some of it. Or just as likely, never.

RIP Prince Rogers Nelson. Musical genius for sure.

Charlie
21-04-16, 18:20

No, i would completely agree with that statement, the man could play any instrument and play it brilliantly.
His last 2 albums were a real return to form after a few years of mainly aimless albums.
Fekin gutted,only saw him once, on the diamonds and pearls tour, brilliant showman.

jeepster
21-04-16, 18:21
RIP to a great song writer, musician and showman.

Charlie
21-04-16, 18:22
Very saddening news.
Perhaps especially as, despite being one of the most incredible and most influential musicians of our times, he was not the sort of person that people talked warmly of, or got to 'like' or 'know' in the same way as many other household names.

Absolutely amazing musician. Very saddened to hear of his passing.

It is apparently widely known that there are sizeable vaults at Paisley Park , supposedly chock-full of incredible material, audio and visual that never got to see the light of day, or that prince just moved on from with no further regard, but that would blow most mere mortal's efforts clean out of the water.
Who knows, we may now get to hear and see some of it. Or just as likely, never.

RIP Prince Rogers Nelson. Musical genius for sure.

If entrusted to the right person who exercised some quality control i would love to hear even a fraction of whats in the vaults.

headlight
21-04-16, 18:31
Very talented allround musician & showman & extremely underrated guitarist.
RIP

Colonel Cærdiffi
21-04-16, 18:42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPKRrEFUA2s

Colonel Cærdiffi
21-04-16, 18:46
The Kevin Smith Prince story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LhcParuzpc

TH63
21-04-16, 18:47

More talented than Lennon, Bowie, Hendrix, Jackson, Elvis.....????

Charlie
21-04-16, 18:58

As purely a musician,apart from Hendrix maybe, then yes 100%.
I recently heard a version of the Waterboys Whole of the moon played by Prince primarily on slap bass,not a sound im usually keen on but it was fantastic.

Arfur Europe
21-04-16, 19:11
U turn on the telly and every other story
Is tellin' U somebody died

Some say a man ain't happy
Unless a man truly dies
Oh why
Time, time

RIP - not the biggest fan of his. I never really 'got' him but was amazed to learn of his smash hits for other artists such as Nothing Compares To You, Manic Mondays and I Feel For You.

Have since found out this evening what an amazing musician he was.

Respect.

Charlie
21-04-16, 19:17
His playing at the end of this is stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

jeepster
21-04-16, 19:29

First time i have seen this stunning just stunning:thumbup:

Pearcey3
21-04-16, 19:30
Saw him over a dozen times paul and you are right one of the most talented musicians ever.

Indeed he was. A superb song writer as well.

SOXY BOY
21-04-16, 19:37
Really sad news. I think he was taken ill last night when he was flying home from a concert.

adz-a32
21-04-16, 19:40
RIP, another great musician gone this year

headlight
21-04-16, 19:41

Yes from 3.26 onwards he shows what a very good guitarist he was.

SLUDGE FACTORY
21-04-16, 19:48
If anyone can name me anyone who could play bass drums keyboards , Hendrix like guitar and brass to his level then name them ......he wrote , produced and played almost all the instruments on all his albums , he was the greatest musician of most of our lifetimes , multi layered , multi talented , micheal Jackson ? Is someone having a laugh ?

SOXY BOY
21-04-16, 19:50
Sorry,my post was meant to say,he was taken ill last week when flying home.

SLUDGE FACTORY
21-04-16, 19:52

Without a doubt , Elvis could only sing , Hendrix guitar , Jackson dance a bit and sing , prince keyboards , bass, drums , guitar , sax , dance , produce , write all his own stuff

Heathblue
21-04-16, 20:04
Without a doubt , Elvis could only sing , Hendrix guitar , Jackson dance a bit and sing , prince keyboards , bass, drums , guitar , sax , dance , produce , write all his own stuff

He wasn't in my play list but without a doubt a fabulous musician, I agree with your post above :thumbup:

Arfur Europe
21-04-16, 20:04
If anyone can name me anyone who could play bass drums keyboards , Hendrix like guitar and brass to his level then name them ......he wrote , produced and played almost all the instruments on all his albums , he was the greatest musician of most of our lifetimes , multi layered , multi talented , micheal Jackson ? Is someone having a laugh ?

Wasn't Stevie Wonder a similar musician in that he played everything himself on his tracks?

Penarth Blues
21-04-16, 20:17
First time i have seen this stunning just stunning:thumbup:

First time I've seen it too. Mesmerizing, and seemingly so effortless!

valleys caveman
21-04-16, 20:19
Isn't it tomorrow there yet. ?
What?

Colonel Cærdiffi
21-04-16, 20:30

Absolutely outrageous playing. Magic.

The Bloop
21-04-16, 20:30
A wonderfully talented musician. He was way ahead of him time - he invented text speak B4 texting had been invented.

Lost Johnny
21-04-16, 21:02
Sad news this. He approached music in the same way as Bowie, he straddled different genres with no respect for boundaries. Took his influences from different artists, anything from Sly and the Family Stone to Frank Zappa, and fused them into something new, something of his own. From 1985-88 Prince was utterly amazing, it did feel at the time that he was one step ahead of everybody else. RIP

Vimana.
21-04-16, 21:18
Sad news this. He approached music in the same way as Bowie, he straddled different genres with no respect for boundaries. Took his influences from different artists, anything from Sly and the Family Stone to Frank Zappa, and fused them into something new, something of his own. From 1985-88 Prince was utterly amazing, it did feel at the time that he was one step ahead of everybody else. RIP

Spot on.

Influences/channelling that I have noted are (I'll try this chronologically):
Little Richard
Sly & the Family Stone / Larry Graham
Jimi Hendrix
James Brown
Stevie Wonder
Bootsy Collins
Frank Zappa
Nile Rogers
The Jacksons/Michael Jackson
(many more I'm very sure )

IMO he 'magpied' from many, added his originality, and a glorious concoction ensued. And influenced countless others.

liam80
21-04-16, 21:22
What is happening now? Why there are a lot of old celebrities dying? RIP to him anyway.

gnasher
21-04-16, 21:53

go on then, who would you rate higher?

gnasher
21-04-16, 21:57

Yep.

gnasher
21-04-16, 22:02
https://youtu.be/Bc4AXY0tk-8

i wanna be your lover

SLUDGE FACTORY
21-04-16, 22:10
go on then, who would you rate higher?

Nick drake ? Pmsl

lostandfound86
21-04-16, 23:08
Prince died at 57.

He might have died physically but his music will connect us to him. RIP Prince

ken000
22-04-16, 00:45
Great talent.

RIP

BLUETIT
22-04-16, 07:05
Sorry,my post was meant to say,he was taken ill last week when flying home.

Not quite ill. !

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/celebrity/prince-%e2%80%98treated-for-drug-overdose%e2%80%99-days-before-his-death/ar-BBs66XP?li=BBoPWjQ

Rhiw-Blue
22-04-16, 07:22

Well that surprised me to be honest but totally correct.

Gutted RIP

the other bob wilson
22-04-16, 08:30

Yes, I believe so - Sludge has already answered your question in the way I would have done, Prince used to do the lot.

Badly Ironed Shirt
22-04-16, 09:30

Lennon (one of my musical heroes) was a great songwriter, but not so great as a guitarist.

Bowie likewise.

Hendrix - great guitarist, decent song writer,

Jackson decent songwriter (not as good as Prince), never saw him with a musical instrument.

Elvis - a good singer of middle-of-the-road dirges.

This may shock people (and I am not a huge Prince fan) - but the only person that comes close in my lifetime is Paul McCartney (1962-70 and a few things afterwards) who was a good musician as well as an exceptional songwriter at his peak.

Prince is definitely one of the top 2 most talented musicians of my lifetime.

the other bob wilson
22-04-16, 09:54
First time I've seen it too. Mesmerizing, and seemingly so effortless!

That video's been played to death in the Evans household. I read somewhere that there was some resentment from some of the others on the stage about Prince's "show stealing", but what else can you do when you're that good?

ian gibson
22-04-16, 10:08

There's some good multi-instrument artists, Sufjan Stevens plays a load, Mike Oldfield once said that the only instrument he couldn't get to grips with was the violin, yet I've heard him play it and he was ok.

elytillidie
22-04-16, 10:41

Prince, simply amazing, however I think musician's should be measured by their musical legacy, personally I think Bowie's back catalogue is more impressive, Lennon's Beatles stuff must put him up there. Music is very subjective, I'd put Elvis Costello and Joe Jackson above Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson. RIP Prince, undoubted genius.

Vimana.
22-04-16, 11:05
If we are comparing talents, then TBF Hendrix was a game-changer when he arrived on the scene and he invented the guitar style that Prince adopted (for his rockier numbers at least), though Prince did take the sound, change it up a bit and make it his own.

Some others are credited with styles that Prince channelled, but hey that's rock'n'roll .. (or ..funk.. jazz .. dance .. soul .. hip-hop .. blues ..)
Lennon and McCartney (&George Martin) were game changers too, as was Bowie, Elvis.
Prince maybe less of a game changer? But a superb refiner and re-definer.
Not taking anything away from the maestro.

gnasher
22-04-16, 11:33

Wow, well done, that is ****ing amazing.

Culver Blue
22-04-16, 12:09

The man was genius. He wrote a lot of tracks in one night, played every instrument on said tracks (27 instruments in total) and laid it down in the studio to play back to members of New Power Generation when they strolled in the next morning.

We are gutted me and the missus. The only thing we agree on is Prince' genius :hehe:

lardy
22-04-16, 15:48
I love the smile dhani harrison gives him as he takes centre stage for the While My Guitar solo. And he continues to wear throughout the rest of the song.

Penarth Blues
22-04-16, 17:55
That video's been played to death in the Evans household. I read somewhere that there was some resentment from some of the others on the stage about Prince's "show stealing", but what else can you do when you're that good?

To be fair everyone's contribution is flawless, and I wasn't aware Prince was there from the footage until a fair way in. However, when he starts his solo the whole thing just goes up another level...

pengedragon
23-04-16, 09:48
love the way he throws the guitar off at the end and saunters off like "yeah, what you gonna do now" :hehe:

struggling big time with this as anyone who knows me will realise

saw him live 60 plus times, would give anything to see just one more

pengedragon
23-04-16, 09:57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPwm6YHmlFU

another side to him, funny interaction with an intimate crowd

oh and another spellbinding performance of course

jeepster
23-04-16, 10:06
Clapton was asked what's it like to be the best guitarist in the world?His reply ask Prince.

blue sky
23-04-16, 10:33
I love the smile dhani harrison gives him as he takes centre stage for the While My Guitar solo. And he continues to wear throughout the rest of the song.

Yes his smiles spoke volumes, reflecting a magical song made more magical by the ensemble and supernatural by Prince's playing.

lardy
23-04-16, 11:26
Clapton was asked what's it like to be the best guitarist in the world?His reply ask Prince.

Urban myth, that one.

steve davies
23-04-16, 19:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPwm6YHmlFU

another side to him, funny interaction with an intimate crowd

oh and another spellbinding performance of course

One of the many times I saw him was the love sexy tour at Wembley arena and at the time I was living in north London and my mate was the assistant manager at the Camden Palais in Camden and we went back there to end a memorable evening. At about 1am prince came on stage with some other band members and did requests and covers of other people's hits

Charlie
24-04-16, 09:28
Good faithful version,nice tribute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr4ECme6WX0

Vimana.
24-04-16, 12:15
Good faithful version,nice tribute.

:malky::cry::easy:

pengedragon
24-04-16, 17:48
One of the many times I saw him was the love sexy tour at Wembley arena and at the time I was living in north London and my mate was the assistant manager at the Camden Palais in Camden and we went back there to end a memorable evening. At about 1am prince came on stage with some other band members and did requests and covers of other people's hits

Legendary gig that one