PDA

View Full Version : England

Something Blue
11-06-16, 18:15
I don't know exactly how the 3rd place thing works, but should we want the English to win tonight or is a draw ok?

Badly Ironed Shirt
11-06-16, 18:34
I don't know exactly how the 3rd place thing works, but should we want the English to win tonight or is a draw ok?

Third place is based on the other groups - only one team can finish third in each group.

What could work in Wales' favour is in Group A it is possible that Romania and Albania both finish with 1 point. If that happens in one other group - then Wales have already qualified (providing they don't finish 4th on 3 points, which is unlikely).

England losing tonight would put them under huge pressure in the Wales game. They'd have to attack, not great when your opposition features Gareth Bale and the goal-machine Robson-Kanu.

Something Blue
11-06-16, 18:39
Cheers for trying to explain, still don't get it though. I was never great at maths!

Badly Ironed Shirt
11-06-16, 19:01
Cheers for trying to explain, still don't get it though. I was never great at maths!

Basically, if Wales finish 3rd, they'll have to have a better record than at least two of the other third place teams from the other groups. Wales are not really competing with England, Russia or Slovakia for best third placed team.

My Name is Dave.
11-06-16, 19:33
Whatever the result tonight, either Russia or England will be under pressure.
Best outcome for us I think is a Russia win, they should then have 6 points ( providing the beat Slovakia ) before they gave us in the final game.

They then may rest a few and we may get a draw or even beat them to qualify

Badly Ironed Shirt
11-06-16, 19:36
Best outcome for us I think is a Russia win, they should then have 6 points ( providing the beat Slovakia ) before they gave us in the final game.

Could go into the England game with the table looking like this:-

Russia 6
Wales 3
England 0
Slovakia 0

Pressure's on England.

Badly Ironed Shirt
11-06-16, 19:47

The last time we had a 24 team tournament, the best third placed teams all had three points. The two who missed out had two each.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_FIFA_World_Cup

In 1986 there were just 2 points for a win. Three points would have seen Hungary qualify instead of Uruguay (who had 2 points). Even then, a team would have qualified as a best third placed team with just 2 draws.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FIFA_World_Cup

1982 was different - the second round saw 4 groups of 3 teams and there were no "best third placed" slots available.

BLUETIT
11-06-16, 19:53
It's INGURLUND and no :hehe::wales:

My Name is Dave.
11-06-16, 19:56
Could go into the England game with the table looking like this:-

Russia 6
Wales 3
England 0
Slovakia 0

Pressure's on England.

Ahhh, Russia Slovakia is before us against the english, yes that would put pressure on them.

Both sides look pretty good, although I think I'd fancy our chances more against england