PDA

View Full Version : Farage backtracks on Brexit promise about NHS funding

jon1959
24-06-16, 09:00
What a surprise!

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/06/watch-brexit-lies-unravel-nigel-farage-calls-350m-week-promise-nhs-mistake?

Colonel Cærdiffi
24-06-16, 09:07
Just a straight-up ****ing lie.

TH63
24-06-16, 09:09
Just a straight-up ****ing lie.

No shocks there

ken smith
24-06-16, 09:11
How can he promise that this £350m will be spent on something when he isn't even an MP?

TH63
24-06-16, 09:18
How can he promise that this £350m will be spent on something when he isn't even an MP?

The crazy thing it's not even £350m

In any case, the annual budget for the NHS is around £120 BILLION

Broken Machine
24-06-16, 09:56
He didn't make that promise, the advert Ms. Presenter is referring to? And he isn't an MP and would have no power to implement it either way? Seems weird to have a go at him about it, arsehole though he is. And yeah, obviously the money was never gonna go to the NHS and everyone should have known that, but yeah, what can you do? Thickies be thick.

qccfc
24-06-16, 09:58
Boris will now inherit the prime ministers position.

Over the next 2 years he will not press the Article 50 red button, that will prepare the UK for the 2 year exit notification period. Over these 2 years he will talk to Europe and demand greater concessions and controls.

At that point there will be a second referendum, with (Boris and Gove) and all other parties putting their power behind it simply fighting against Farage, it will make Farage seem unreasonable because it will look like the EU are giving us everything that we want.

The public will then vote to stay in Europe.

Broken Machine
24-06-16, 10:04

Over the next 2 years he will not press the Article 50 red button, that will prepare the UK for the 2 year exit notification period. Over these 2 years he will talk to Europe and demand greater concessions and controls.

At that point there will be a second referendum, with (Boris and Gove) and all other parties putting their power behind it simply fighting against Farage, it will make Farage seem unreasonable because it will look like the EU are giving us everything that we want.

That internet fan theory that Jar Jar Binks was supposed to be an evil Sith Lord, pretending to be a bumbling fool, ying to Yoda's yang... Yeah, Boris.

bobh
24-06-16, 10:06

This is the gist of what I thought would happen if Remain won.

qccfc
24-06-16, 10:09

If remain won, Cameron would be Prime Minister, and he would keep going with his own re-negotiations.

What i have been shocked about now is that no leave campaigner is calling for the Article 50 button to be pressed, so even if that was pressed today we would still be 2 years away from getting out.

What the new PM has is one hell of a bargaining chip, the the UK really does have a mandate to leave.

I dont think my scenario is an unrealistic one.

Its been emotional
24-06-16, 10:24
Westminster will now pull up its own drawbridge
Top of the agenda will be to privatise the N.H.S.
More zero hour contracts
Attack on worker's rights, pensions, holiday pay etc etc
Interest rates to rise

Pearcey3
24-06-16, 10:30
Westminster will now pull up its own drawbridge
Top of the agenda will be to privatise the N.H.S.
More zero hour contracts
Attack on worker's rights, pensions, holiday pay etc etc
Interest rates to rise

Yep.

Rjk
24-06-16, 10:34
The uk was already paying the third lowest percentage of gdp towards the EU. I really don't see any more concessions coming our way.

chris
24-06-16, 10:35
Yep.

the result of this election is due to mass disenchantment from labour voters due to ridiculous levels of immigration and the split throughout the tory party which as been there for many years when it comes down to europe. :thumbup:

Rjk
24-06-16, 10:36

blue matt
24-06-16, 10:50
Interest rates to rise

Does Westminster have the power to raise Interest rates ? ? ?

Charlie
24-06-16, 10:52
This camera man knew what he was doing..

qccfc
24-06-16, 10:58
Here is one for you - at the next general election which will go something like this :-

Either Labour or Lib Dems (plus Plaid and the SNP) etc - will run on a manifesto that will promise another referendum should they win.

They will win it - and we'll go back in without a referendum as the mandate will be from the 'new' general election result

At the moment no-one seems keen to start the Article 50 Negotiations, and leaving is 2 years from that point, the EU wants that to happen as soon as possible. Boris Johnson is saying there is no rush.

At the moment we are still in the EU and we will be until the article 50 proceedings take place.

I find it amazing that the talk from leave is there is no rush. Surely if you were a leave voter you want the process happening as soon as possible.

From the talk from the leave side after winning, i'm doubting that leaving will ever happen.

Its been emotional
24-06-16, 10:58
Does Westminster have the power to raise Interest rates ? ? ?
The Chancellor and the Bank of England will decide who no doubt have already talked about this issue in depth

Blue in the Face
24-06-16, 11:13
This camera man knew what he was doing..

:hehe:

Farage can no longer snipe from the grassy knoll from this point forward.

blue matt
24-06-16, 11:21
The Chancellor and the Bank of England will decide who no doubt have already talked about this issue in depth

so thats a no then

lardy
24-06-16, 11:25
From the talk from the leave side after winning, i'm doubting that leaving will ever happen.

You might be right, but it only happened earlier today (as a surprise) and the PM has just resigned. Can't expect there to be firm talk just yet.

tommy31
24-06-16, 11:26
He didn't make that promise, the advert Ms. Presenter is referring to? And he isn't an MP and would have no power to implement it either way? Seems weird to have a go at him about it, arsehole though he is. And yeah, obviously the money was never gonna go to the NHS and everyone should have known that, but yeah, what can you do? Thickies be thick.

Why should they have? They've been told something, voted on it, and then been told it wasn't true. Why should they 'have known' it wasn't true in the first place? Stop making excuses for the lies

Broken Machine
24-06-16, 11:32
Why should they have? They've been told something, voted on it, and then been told it wasn't true. Why should they 'have known' it wasn't true in the first place? Stop making excuses for the lies

Well, for a start, the people that said it aren't in charge of the country's spending. It's like blaming the Iraq War on Keith Chegwin. It wasn't his decision to make.

tommy31
24-06-16, 11:38
Well, for a start, the people that said it aren't in charge of the country's spending. It's like blaming the Iraq War on Keith Chegwin. It wasn't his decision to make.

A prominent member of the campaign lies. Why didn't someone out him right? Oh wait yeah because they want to win and don't care about the people they represent.

lardy
24-06-16, 11:43
A prominent member of the campaign lies. Why didn't someone out him right? Oh wait yeah because they want to win and don't care about the people they represent.

Not just told a lie, painted it on the side of a bus. :hehe:

Dénia Bluebird
24-06-16, 11:45

Nice thought except there is zero chance of UK being allowed to drag its heels on Article 50, in fact some of the big European players are already saying they want the Article to take effect asap. This is a done deal. i must say that as a Welshman living in Europe (Spain) I am flabbergasted. As I understand it, Wales is an area where our net income from EU is greater than we pay in but we vote to leave in huge numbers. I even heard one "Leave" voter proclaim today "well we had to do something to stop those Muslims coming here" , a plain example of a simple person not even understanding what they were voting for!

Dénia Bluebird
24-06-16, 12:02
There is a lot more legs in this story yet. Peter Mandelson is apparently behind the vote of no confidence in Corbyn for his abject performance on this (as he always was a Leaver).

I think my prediction stands - New Tory Leader (Ruth Davidson) new Labour Leader - either Chuka Uumuna / Watson or Johnson. A General Election on a manifesto of going straight back in - no referendum - with an EU that will radically change to enable all the concerns raised.

Without this happening - the EU is dead - France, Netherlands, Sweden and Denmark to get a referendum. Or maybe a referendum for the whole union - the question being press on with greater integration , more members etc - or just stick at the 28 members - with individual restriction on movement only for employment or retirement.

Reality check needed! The President of the EU has already stated very clearly that there will be NO RE-NEGOTIATION!

Broken Machine
24-06-16, 12:11

Someone out him? Out whomever came up with that slogan as not being the Chancellor of the Exchequer? Out "let's spend all the EU fees on the NHS!" written on the side of a bus as not being official government policy?

I'm just saying that if you believed the NHS budget was going to be more than doubled because just some guy somewhere wrote it on a bus, you've 'ad a 'mare.

insider
24-06-16, 12:20
[QUOTE=Broken Machine;463979

I'm just saying that if you believed the NHS budget was going to be more than doubled because just some guy somewhere wrote it on a bus, you've 'ad a 'mare.[/QUOTE]
Aint that the truth some gormless 2hats bought it and voted out because of it.

TH63
24-06-16, 12:23
Someone out him? Out whomever came up with that slogan as not being the Chancellor of the Exchequer? Out "let's spend all the EU fees on the NHS!" written on the side of a bus as not being official government policy?

I'm just saying that if you believed the NHS budget was going to be more than doubled because just some guy somewhere wrote it on a bus, you've 'ad a 'mare.

From the independant

"Ipsos MORI found that 47 per cent of the public believe that the claim, which has been repeatedly criticised by the UK Statistics Authority, is true.

Just 39 per cent realise the figure, which has formed the centerpiece of the Leave campaign, is false, while 14 per cent do not know."

Broken Machine
24-06-16, 12:28
From the independant

"Ipsos MORI found that 47 per cent of the public believe that the claim, which has been repeatedly criticised by the UK Statistics Authority, is true.

Just 39 per cent realise the figure, which has formed the centerpiece of the Leave campaign, is false, while 14 per cent do not know."

Yesterday was indeed a day of many 'mares.

Pearcey3
24-06-16, 12:32
Nice thought except there is zero chance of UK being allowed to drag its heels on Article 50, in fact some of the big European players are already saying they want the Article to take effect asap. This is a done deal. i must say that as a Welshman living in Europe (Spain) I am flabbergasted. As I understand it, Wales is an area where our net income from EU is greater than we pay in but we vote to leave in huge numbers. I even heard one "Leave" voter proclaim today "well we had to do something to stop those Muslims coming here" , a plain example of a simple person not even understanding what they were voting for!

Exactly. This is a done deal. The country has voted to leave the EU so get on with it.