PDA

View Full Version : Phoned British Consulate

Divine Wright
24-06-16, 14:24
Currently living in Spain and am effectively an illegal immigrant now.

Phoned the consulate and they said they have no idea what will happen next. No advice. Nothing.

I think I'm going to have to apply for Spanish nationality to ensure I have no problems with regard healthcare and work.

Anyone in a similar situation or with any knowledge regarding the change ??

qccfc
24-06-16, 14:25

Phoned the consulate and they said they have no idea what will happen next. No advice. Nothing.

I think I'm going to have to apply for Spanish nationality to ensure I have no problems with regard healthcare and work.

You are not an illegal immigrant now, because we haven't left the EU yet and are unlikely to for the next 2 and a half years.

AfricanBluebird
24-06-16, 14:38

Well we haven't left yet but I did speak to some family members and friends of mine who are married to Europeans and live in the UK and there is a certainly some concern about the future. Some met abroad and while they have been married for some time they have only been living in the UK only a few years... that, according to Boris, put them in a precarious situation. Who would have thought marrying a European would end up in having to prove your relationship status in order to remain in the UK?

Maybe there will be an amnesty, I don't know, but the future is full of uncertainty for many millions of people.

lardy
24-06-16, 14:40
Well we haven't left yet but I did speak to some family members and friends of mine who are married to Europeans and live in the UK and there is a certainly some concern about the future. Some met abroad and while they have been married for some time they have only been living in the UK only a few years... that, according to Boris, put them in a precarious situation. Who would have thought marrying a European would end up in having to prove your relationship status in order to remain in the UK?

Maybe there will be an amnesty, I don't know, but the future is full of uncertainty for many millions of people.

I know people in that exact same position and they are a mix of fearful and furious.

Dénia Bluebird
24-06-16, 14:46

Firstly, and for the benefit of this reply I must assume you live here all of the time or more than 6 months in a year and you have residencia here in Spain? If not, and especially if you are not paying taxes here, then you were already illegal before yesterdays vote! I too live in Spain as my screen name suggests and am 100% legal in all respects. We need to wait for guidance from the Consulate etc which is likely to take many months.
The legal opinions I have obtained so far does suggest those of us that call Spain home may have a tricky time ahead. Although it was encouraging to hear Brit politicians earlier saying that they do not envisage sending current EU nationals living in UK home, nor, amending their benefits. With this stance, it is hard to imagine Spain making any other decision than this! Of course, if you are not here legally already, it may be too late.

Amongst the issues to be overcome on Spanish Nationality are:
10 years residency
Fluency in Castellano
Ability to pass a Spanish cultural quiz/test.

Happy to share any information if you want to PM me.

mike downtownabbey
24-06-16, 15:00
Firstly, and for the benefit of this reply I must assume you live here all of the time or more than 6 months in a year and you have residencia here in Spain? If not, and especially if you are not paying taxes here, then you were already illegal before yesterdays vote! I too live in Spain as my screen name suggests and am 100% legal in all respects. We need to wait for guidance from the Consulate etc which is likely to take many months.
The legal opinions I have obtained so far does suggest those of us that call Spain home may have a tricky time ahead. Although it was encouraging to hear Brit politicians earlier saying that they do not envisage sending current EU nationals living in UK home, nor, amending their benefits. With this stance, it is hard to imagine Spain making any other decision than this! Of course, if you are not here legally already, it may be too late.

Amongst the issues to be overcome on Spanish Nationality are:
10 years residency
Fluency in Castellano
Ability to pass a Spanish cultural quiz/test.

Happy to share any information if you want to PM me.

this open europe thing is fantastic...until you're not it would seem. would you have to learn how make perfect paella?

Badly Ironed Shirt
24-06-16, 15:07
I know people in that exact same position and they are a mix of fearful and furious.

Yikes - I am married to a non-EU non-UK Citizen. I assume nothing changes for us? I could get her to apply for citizenship, I suppose, but not sure we can afford to do that for a while. It's not the sort of thing you can borrow money for either.

Of course, the European Human Rights laws protect us. Silly me.

mike downtownabbey
24-06-16, 16:20
Yikes - I am married to a non-EU non-UK Citizen. I assume nothing changes for us? I could get her to apply for citizenship, I suppose, but not sure we can afford to do that for a while. It's not the sort of thing you can borrow money for either.

Of course, the European Human Rights laws protect us. Silly me.

Oh for gods sakes! there not going to start licking out people left right and center. If you've been in the country for the last year or two and on the dole ...maybe not !

lardy
24-06-16, 16:22
Oh for gods sakes! there not going to start licking out people left right and center. If you've been in the country for the last year or two and on the dole ...maybe not !

It's easy to say that if you're not in that position. Of course it's something to be concerned about.

paphos is blue
24-06-16, 17:23

Nobody knows what's going to happen regards us expats!! No politician from the leave or remain campaign ever mentioned anything about where we will stand! Over here in Cyprus the rumours and scaremongering are rife. From you have to own your own property and have €200 thousand in the bank (like the Chinese have to have for residency) to its ok if you got your yellow slip for permanent residency and your earning a wage or got your pension being paid over here. I think there's deals to be struck (regards us expats) and hopefully from my end there's a deal in place already for the commonwealth country's in Europe.
Who knows what's going to happen!! At least we can still get a suntan for the next 2 years!

El Gwapo
24-06-16, 18:47

Didn't realise everyone had to be licked out :sherlock:

ZZ Jack
24-06-16, 19:04

People from the UK did visit, work and even live in Spain before there was an EU. Don't look for problems that aren't there, just enjoy the weather. :thumbup:

ZZ Jack
24-06-16, 19:05

Brilliant :hehe:

Phill Stants brother
24-06-16, 21:10

So does that mean if someone licks out badly ironed shirts non eu wife she gets to stay? Why can't all laws be this easy. :sherlock:

CCFC CASUAL
24-06-16, 21:14
So does that mean if someone licks out badly ironed shirts non eu wife she gets to stay? Why can't all laws be this easy. :sherlock:

If she's anything like him it would be like licking stingy nettles.

Philbccfc
24-06-16, 21:27
one wonders how you know that badly ironed tastes of "stingy nettles"

CCFC CASUAL
24-06-16, 21:30

one wonders how you know that badly ironed tastes of "stingy nettles"
I don't know how he tastes but reading the arrogant twats self important postings is as painful as getting stung by stingies.

CCFC CASUAL
24-06-16, 21:33
The Grosvenor. Friday. You'll be there.

Teddy Bear
24-06-16, 22:04
Thought the UK Brits loved a bit of hysteria after today, seems the foreign Brits are worse.

Brits live all over the world not just Europe and they are fine.

lardy
25-06-16, 01:09
Thought the UK Brits loved a bit of hysteria after today, seems the foreign Brits are worse.

Brits live all over the world not just Europe and they are fine.

And they all have different circumstances that allow them to. Just because Barry Bloggs can live in New York it doesnt mean I can. You're simplifying something that you might not have experienced yourself.

Dénia Bluebird
25-06-16, 05:18
People from the UK did visit, work and even live in Spain before there was an EU. Don't look for problems that aren't there, just enjoy the weather. :thumbup:

What a simple, un-cluttered mind this poster must have, there is zero chance of us getting kicked out (even less of being licked out!). Sadly however, there is every chance of us losing our Healthcare! Bearing in mind we dont qualify for NHS support in UK either, this is why we are all more than a little concerned following Brexit.

EadosEados
25-06-16, 07:29
Our relationship with Spain in the future may hinge on gibralter

Croesy Blue
25-06-16, 07:49
A disgustingly short sighted opinion by a man who I imagine has barely left his home town through his life. Another vote cast by a narrow minded man who's life probably won't change that much anyway.