PDA

View Full Version : The one thing that's really upsetting about the brexit

Croesy Blue
25-06-16, 07:46
That so many of the next generation could have had the opportunity to study, love and work easily in 27 other countries taken away from them mostly by a generation who have had all these benefits available to them

Working abroad is one of the best experiences I've had in my life, learning new languages, meeting new friends and having new experiences that you wouldn't simply by living in the uk.

Also the potential for top jobs to be lost in this country, coming from the valleys I've already seen the effect jobs disappearing can have on a location a lot of places have changed from being vibrant close nit communities to glorified commuter towns.

There's the possibility that things might not change if a decent deal is negotiated by the next PM (are you happy having a far right Tory negotiating with your children's future?).

If you had a good reason for voting for leaving the EU fair enough, although I'm still yet to hear one reason that isn't conjecture, hate filled, conspiracy based or just wanting to return to the chocolate box uk of the persons youth. If you voted leave without having a good reason for it you deserve every bit of anger that comes your way, especially if it's coming from the younger generation who could have just had 1000s of opportunities pulled from under them by one selfish narrow minded vote.

Maccy Blue
25-06-16, 07:51
That so many of the next generation could have had the opportunity to study, love and work easily in 27 other countries taken away from them mostly by a generation who have had all these benefits available to them

Working abroad is one of the best experiences I've had in my life, learning new languages, meeting new friends and having new experiences that you wouldn't simply by living in the uk.

Also the potential for top jobs to be lost in this country, coming from the valleys I've already seen the effect jobs disappearing can have on a location a lot of places have changed from being vibrant close nit communities to glorified commuter towns.

There's the possibility that things might not change if a decent deal is negotiated by the next PM (are you happy having a far right Tory negotiating with your children's future?).

If you had a good reason for voting for leaving the EU fair enough, although I'm still yet to hear one reason that isn't conjecture, hate filled, conspiracy based or just wanting to return to the chocolate box uk of the persons youth. If you voted leave without having a good reason for it you deserve every bit of anger that comes your way, especially if it's coming from the younger generation who could have just had 1000s of opportunities pulled from under them by one selfish narrow minded vote.

Hear, hear.

Croesy Blue
25-06-16, 07:54
I meant live abroad* not love but if anything you can add that in too. So many potential future friends and marriages could be wiped out by this vote.

adz-a32
25-06-16, 08:04

^THIS

We feel that the older generation has screwed us over again

adz-a32
25-06-16, 08:17
"This is the last '**** you' from the baby boomers. They took the secure corporate and government jobs with the guaranteed pay rises and final salary pension schemes and benefitted from property they bought cheap and sold dear. They burnt the bridges behind them by colluding with the dismantling of the very things that had brought them prosperity. Their last act will be to burn the economy before they die."

mike downtownabbey
25-06-16, 08:20
"This is the last '**** you' from the baby boomers. They took the secure corporate and government jobs with the guaranteed pay rises and final salary pension schemes and benefitted from property they bought cheap and sold dear. They burnt the bridges behind them by colluding with the dismantling of the very things that had brought them prosperity. Their last act will be to burn the economy before they die."

L O L

Llanedeyrnblue
25-06-16, 08:22
I hanker for the ration books again

Barry Dragon
25-06-16, 08:24

Good post Adz. :thumbup:

Taunton Blue Genie
25-06-16, 08:35
And don't forget several recessions they experienced, high unemployment, negative equity, hardly any access to university education and endowment policies that fell way short of their targets. The average Joe has little control over the economy whenever he was born.

Thoth
25-06-16, 08:46

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6ZDsUGiGqM

Llanedeyrnblue
25-06-16, 08:53

Please tell me how you know how a certain age group voted in the referendum?

Kiffa
25-06-16, 08:57
There are stats everywhere about how age groups voted

Barry Dragon
25-06-16, 08:58

Because they keep interviewing old people on the news and they are all out. Because of polls, because of official stats. Granted not all of them, would be voting out but its a large majority.

Jimmy the Jock
25-06-16, 09:02
Awe.. Never mind....

Packerman
25-06-16, 09:04
And don't forget several recessions they experienced, high unemployment, negative equity, hardly any access to university education and endowment policies that fell way short of their targets. The average Joe has little control over the economy whenever he was born.

^^^^ this,

Croesy Blue
25-06-16, 09:12
Awe.. Never mind....
Unfortunately the exact attitude I'd expect, it's a huge shame.

Especially from a man who found love and work away from where he was born. Who knows if the next generations of scots would get the same opportunity you did if Scotland leaves the union. And I hope they do now, the scots have come out of this looking genuinely more enlightened than the English and Welsh and deserve their independence and access to the EU.

Badly Ironed Shirt
25-06-16, 09:19
I meant live abroad* not love but if anything you can add that in too. So many potential future friends and marriages could be wiped out by this vote.

Possibly even current. Depends what our new human rights will be.

We may very well be the first generation to say "It was better in my day". The world is a smaller place for the next generation of British people.

Packerman
25-06-16, 09:20
Possibly even current. Depends what our new human rights will be.

We may very well be the first generation to say "It was better in my day". The world is a smaller place for the next generation of British people.

every generation looks back with rose tinted specs, nothing new there

lardy
25-06-16, 09:20

Especially from a man who found love and work away from where he was born. Who knows if the next generations of scots would get the same opportunity you did if Scotland leaves the union. And I hope they do now, the scots have come out of this looking genuinely more enlightened than the English and Welsh and deserve their independence and access to the EU.

Does it matter what happens to the next generation of Scots? Jimmy's alright.

Badly Ironed Shirt
25-06-16, 09:25

A YouGov poll put 18-24 year olds as 75% Remain. 25-49 56% Remain. 50-64 44% Remain. 65+ 39% remain.

I don't know what the turnouts were across each group - we also know YouGov have been getting it wrong lately.

There are certainly more older voters than younger, because our country has an ageing population. That's why we need immigration - to pay for the pensions of the old, and the benefits of those unable to work.

Mrs Steve R
25-06-16, 09:26
You are all talking like we are leaving the EU, yesterday was just the beginning, you will now endure a few months of Project fear2 - back with a vengeance, stock up on popcorn. :thumbup:

Badly Ironed Shirt
25-06-16, 09:30
You are all talking like we are leaving the EU, yesterday was just the beginning, you will now endure a few months of Project fear2 - back with a vengeance, stock up on popcorn. :thumbup:

It will be very interesting to see how this works. I know you were saying that even if the UK votes out, they'll stay in. Maybe you didn't say that definitively - but you suggested it I am sure (apologies if not). Did you think it would be Boris who would be hesitating?

Llanedeyrnblue
25-06-16, 09:32
A YouGov poll put 18-24 year olds as 75% Remain. 25-49 56% Remain. 50-64 44% Remain. 65+ 39% remain.

I don't know what the turnouts were across each group - we also know YouGov have been getting it wrong lately.

There are certainly more older voters than younger, because our country has an ageing population. That's why we need immigration - to pay for the pensions of the old, and the benefits of those unable to work.

Oh I see that's the YouGov polls was that the same polls that had Remain to win at 52% to 48% the day before the referendum?

As for paying for the pensions of the old, they've been very thoughtless retiring, I mean whose going to make up the shortfall of the lost Tax and NI contributions that the paid throughout their working lives?

lardy
25-06-16, 09:33
It will be very interesting to see how this works. I know you were saying that even if the UK votes out, they'll stay in. Maybe you didn't say that definitively - but you suggested it I am sure (apologies if not). Did you think it would be Boris who would be hesitating?

Behind closed doors, it's quite clear that Boris is shitting his pants. He was using this to chalk up experience and get his face recognised as a contender for leader of the Tories. It's all happened very quickly and he's trying to stall.

lardy
25-06-16, 09:34
Oh I see that's the YouGov polls was that the same polls that had Remain to win at 52% to 48% the day before the referendum?

As for paying for the pensions of the old, they've been very thoughtless retiring, I mean whose going to make up the shortfall of the lost Tax and NI contributions that the paid throughout their working lives?

To be fair, even if they are 4% out as they were with the official one, then that still tells the same story.

Llanedeyrnblue
25-06-16, 09:40
To be fair, even if they are 4% out as they were with the official one, then that still tells the same story.

Polls are useless the same thing happened at the last 2 elections,miles out

Wales-Bales
25-06-16, 09:44

LOL yeah the first thing they did was stretch it out a bit, what chance a few (well a lot!) "events" occur before Article 50 is invoked? They have history on this :hehe:

Wales-Bales
25-06-16, 09:45
Behind closed doors, it's quite clear that Boris is shitting his pants. He was using this to chalk up experience and get his face recognised as a contender for leader of the Tories. It's all happened very quickly and he's trying to stall.

I think the "quiet one" will get it. I'm not sure if Boris needs to get his face out there, I think everybody knows who he is!

lardy
25-06-16, 09:47
Polls are useless the same thing happened at the last 2 elections,miles out

What happened to your 8% post? :hehe:

If it makes you feel better, my 4% calculation is almost certainly wrong...

Badly Ironed Shirt

Talk about selective responding.

Firstly - I admitted that, although they were the figures from YouGov, Yougov were hardly reliable during the referendum nor the general election.

Secondly - I did NOT say that pensioners were thoughtless retiring. What I am saying is that the UK population is ageing and, with a shortage of young "indigenous" people to sustain the taxes to pay the pensions you have to look for immigration to fill the gap.

Badly Ironed Shirt
I think the "quiet one" will get it. I'm not sure if Boris needs to get his face out there, I think everybody knows who he is!

George Harrison?

MacAdder
25-06-16, 09:50

Spot on :thumbup:

goslow
25-06-16, 09:51

Those same pensioners whose taxes paid for the welfare state that the whining,foot stamping,dummy spitting remainiac ****s were raised in.

Badly Ironed Shirt
25-06-16, 09:53
Those same pensioners whose taxes paid for the welfare state that the whining,foot stamping,dummy spitting remainiac ****s were raised in.

Again, I wasn't complaining about pensioners. I was making the point that the UK population is getting older and so the main way to sustain their well-earned pensions is through immigration. The other way to look after our pensioners needs is to raise NI contributions and/or taxes.

Wales-Bales
25-06-16, 10:05
George Harrison?

Quiet during the referendum. I think she was hedging her bets, waiting to play the unifying card. These scheming people are really calculating and despicable.

Badly Ironed Shirt
25-06-16, 10:07
Quiet during the referendum. I think she was hedging her bets, waiting to play the unifying card. These scheming people are really calculating and despicable.

The night of the many long knives :hehe:

goslow
25-06-16, 10:10
Again, I wasn't complaining about pensioners. I was making the point that the UK population is getting older and so the main way to sustain their well-earned pensions is through immigration. The other way to look after our pensioners needs is to raise NI contributions and/or taxes.

If only there were unemployed people in this country who could fill these jobs......

Croesy Blue
25-06-16, 10:13
If only there were unemployed people in this country who could fill these jobs......

Probably not the skilled jobs

Badly Ironed Shirt
25-06-16, 10:19

There are more immigrants working here than there are unemployed people. Many are doing skilled jobs that would take the UK years to train people up for.

the other bob wilson
25-06-16, 10:32

A shame that someone who, rightly, defends his religion on here against mean spirited people who deal in vague and sweeping generalisations should resort to using such soundbite and cliche filled stuff, which only makes him equally guilty when it comes to taking ill informed swipes at another section of society.

I may not have been the most enthusiastic of remain voters, but remain voter I was and I'm now of an age where I can use my senior citizens bus pass if I want to. More importantly, while I think we should have realised by now that political opinion polling should be treated with a fair degree of caution, I find the figures in that poll quite reassuring because remain voters in my age group (50-64) were only four per cent down on the national figure, while the 39% of over 65s who voted remain is two points higher than the number in all age groups which voted for the party whose leader tried to sort out it's mess over Europe by giving us the referendum in the first place in the last general election - in both cases, the remain votes among 50 pluses is higher than I would have predicted it to be beforehand.

Very good opening post in this thread by the way.

Wales-Bales
25-06-16, 10:45

Chill out man :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV567VNJFvw

goslow
25-06-16, 10:50
There are more immigrants working here than there are unemployed people. Many are doing skilled jobs that would take the UK years to train people up for.

Link?

Badly Ironed Shirt
25-06-16, 10:59
Link?

How remiss of me

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35594650

http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/briefings/migrants-uk-labour-market-overview

Quite obviously there are more foreign-born people employed in the UK than there are unemployed people in the UK.

Mrs Steve R
25-06-16, 11:04
Yes I did suggest it, I just had a feeling it wouldn't be as easy as is sounded, as soon as I heard Cameron say in his speech that we need the full engagement of the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Ireland governments to negotiate our exit alarm bells went off :hehe: Even though the EU said they want to get us out now asap I think that was just to put people on edge and make them think this really is going to happen, they could drag this out for a long time and create many problems along the way that prove to some people that leaving is not a good idea, I also think they could change the goal posts when it comes to the votes too because people are not happy with the result being so close, a few other things came to mind when I was watching the news last night but I forget what they were now, of course I don't know for sure what will happen but my guess is there will be plenty of fun and games before any exit takes place. :hehe:

LOL yeah the first thing they did was stretch it out a bit, what chance a few (well a lot!) "events" occur before Article 50 is invoked? They have history on this :hehe:
One for each topic :hehe: do you think Boris will end up having a change of heart?

lardy
25-06-16, 11:31
Yes I did suggest it, I just had a feeling it wouldn't be as easy as is sounded, as soon as I heard Cameron say in his speech that we need the full engagement of the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Ireland governments to negotiate our exit alarm bells went off :hehe: Even though the EU said they want to get us out now asap I think that was just to put people on edge and make them think this really is going to happen, they could drag this out for a long time and create many problems along the way that prove to some people that leaving is not a good idea, I also think they could change the goal posts when it comes to the votes too because people are not happy with the result being so close, a few other things came to mind when I was watching the news last night but I forget what they were now, of course I don't know for sure what will happen but my guess is there will be plenty of fun and games before any exit takes place. :hehe:

Why does everything always have to have a hidden meaning, some kind of fog? Anyone in his position would have said the same. You don't want to be in, then hurry up so everyone left behind can start to sort themselves out. There's going to be huge upheaval, he wants to minimise it.

Richyrich
25-06-16, 11:32

One for each topic :hehe: do you think Boris will end up having a change of heart?

What you posted just over 24 hours ago.

"Seriously I'm not upset about that, I have expected to stay in all along."

I love the mental gymnastics you have to do to keep believing in your NWO narrative.

Blue in the Face
25-06-16, 11:33

Nothing to add to that. Brilliant.

Wales-Bales
25-06-16, 11:48
Why does everything always have to have a hidden meaning, some kind of fog? Anyone in his position would have said the same. You don't want to be in, then hurry up so everyone left behind can start to sort themselves out. There's going to be huge upheaval, he wants to minimise it.

If you study the past you will know what is possible in the future.

lardy
25-06-16, 11:56
If you study the past you will know what is possible in the future.

Classic Gluey

az city
25-06-16, 12:05

I agree with you. There's a first.

Wales-Bales
25-06-16, 12:11
Classic classics, read what the ancient Greeks had to say on the subject.

lardy
25-06-16, 12:12
Classic classics, read what the ancient Greeks had to say on the subject.

Enlighten me.

Colonel Cærdiffi
25-06-16, 12:13
Enlighten me.

He's already told you to read everything the ancient Greeks wrote, what more do you want?

Wales-Bales
25-06-16, 12:20
Enlighten me.

I am not responsible for you failed education :thumbup:

lardy
25-06-16, 12:23
I am not responsible for you failed education :thumbup:

Classic Gluey, tries to look smart with nothing in the locker :hehe:

Mrs Steve R
25-06-16, 12:26
It doesn't always :hehe: well Boris wants to take his time so they are going to have to wait, can't see it being sorted asap can you?

What you posted just over 24 hours ago.

"Seriously I'm not upset about that, I have expected to stay in all along."

I love the mental gymnastics you have to do to keep believing in your NWO narrative.
I have expected to stay in all along, I was very surprised by the result tbh, we haven't left yet though, have I mentioned the NWO in my posts about the EU? I don't recall saying I was voting out because of that have I? I think you have mentioned it more than me. :hehe:

lardy
25-06-16, 12:33
It doesn't always :hehe: well Boris wants to take his time so they are going to have to wait, can't see it being sorted asap can you?

I have expected to stay in all along, I was very surprised by the result tbh, we haven't left yet though, have I mentioned the NWO in my posts about the EU? I don't recall saying I was voting out because of that have I? I think you have mentioned it more than me. :hehe:

No I don't think it will be sorted soon but I also don't think the eu are planning with Brexit, which is what you seem to be suggesting.

Wales-Bales
25-06-16, 12:36
Classic Gluey, tries to look smart with nothing in the locker :hehe:

You seem to be the Chihuahua of the message board, constantly yapping :hehe:

Wales-Bales
25-06-16, 12:40
This may be of some interest to the more erudite posters on here

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2015/10/19/asking-the-public-twice-why-do-voters-change-their-minds-in-second-referendums-on-eu-treaties/

lardy
25-06-16, 12:42
You seem to be the Chihuahua of the message board, constantly yapping :hehe:

I look forward to outing you under your next username :thumbup:

lardy
25-06-16, 12:44
He's already told you to read everything the ancient Greeks wrote, what more do you want?

I would but I mislaid my rosetta stone

Richyrich
25-06-16, 12:46

Because you haven't got the courage of your convictions but everyone knows the subtext of your posts.

Packerman
25-06-16, 12:46
I look forward to outing you under your next username :thumbup:

been known for a while so hardly think you outed him :hehe:

Mrs Steve R
25-06-16, 12:51
Because you haven't got the courage of your convictions but everyone knows the subtext of your posts.
Why does everything always have to have a hidden meaning, some kind of fog? :hehe:

Wales-Bales
25-06-16, 12:57
Why does everything always have to have a hidden meaning, some kind of fog? :hehe:

For what it is worth, I also very much doubt that a Brexit will occur. It looks like what we are seeing now is the long prepared Plan B.

Packerman
25-06-16, 13:08
For what it is worth, I also very much doubt that a Brexit will occur. It looks like what we are seeing now is the long prepared Plan B.

i,m still waiting for the chinese battleship :hehe:

Wales-Bales
25-06-16, 13:31
i,m still waiting for the chinese battleship :hehe:

What?

severncity
25-06-16, 15:37

You could always move to Scotland, or Ireland, or anywhere else in the EU. You yourself have said how much you love travelling and meeting new people. Learn yet another language. The world is your oyster.

Heathblue
25-06-16, 15:40
You could always move to Scotland, or Ireland, or anywhere else in the EU. You yourself have said how much you love travelling and meeting new people. Learn yet another language. The world is your oyster.
The world is your Lobster Delboy :hehe:

Croesy Blue
25-06-16, 16:56
I actually am moving abroad for work next month, I was thinking it would only be for 2 years but now I'm hoping to extend it indefinitely. What that has to do with the next generation being denied the same opportunity is beyond me.

az city
25-06-16, 16:58
I actually am moving abroad for work next month, I was thinking it would only be for 2 years but now I'm hoping to extend it indefinitely. What that has to do with the next generation being denied the same opportunity is beyond me.

Where are you going?

Croesy Blue
25-06-16, 18:17
France

severncity
25-06-16, 18:29

For the past decade around 140,000 UK citizens have emigrated every year, which is roughly 0.2% of the population. This much-vaunted freedom to work in the EU has been used by very few UK citizens.

And what's more, only a small proportion of UK emigrants move to EU countries.

FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead
25-06-16, 18:56
Interesting - and much overlooked - take on Brexit. But is it going to be impossible to work in Europe once the exit is finalised? Will it not still be very much possible to work and live in Europe, in the same way you can do so in Canada, Australia etc (albeit with the obstacle of various processes and being subject to meeting certain criteria)?

My partner is Cypriot and when I move back to the UK at the end of the year I would very much like her to be able to follow me.

Blue blood
25-06-16, 19:50
Agree with opening post and told my son and daughter I thought the older generation owed the younger generation an apology for what they have done.

It is the older generation that have taken us out of the EU but the younger generation are the ones who will have to live with that decision.

az city
25-06-16, 20:10
Interesting - and much overlooked - take on Brexit. But is it going to be impossible to work in Europe once the exit is finalised? Will it not still be very much possible to work and live in Europe, in the same way you can do so in Canada, Australia etc (albeit with the obstacle of various processes and being subject to meeting certain criteria)?

My partner is Cypriot and when I move back to the UK at the end of the year I would very much like her to be able to follow me.

I think the point is at the moment you can just up sticks and go to Europe. That was the beauty of it.

az city
25-06-16, 20:11
For the past decade around 140,000 UK citizens have emigrated every year, which is roughly 0.2% of the population. This much-vaunted freedom to work in the EU has been used by very few UK citizens.

And what's more, only a small proportion of UK emigrants move to EU countries.

I have seen this data before so I'm not arguing with the source. Don't you find the number of Brits in Spain puzzling in light of this though?

Gofer Blue
25-06-16, 21:38

What a ridiculous generalisation!

blue matt
25-06-16, 21:44

We also had good " glasto's "

you know, ones without Adele headlining on a saturday night :thumbup:

adz-a32
25-06-16, 21:49
We also had good " glasto's "

you know, ones without Adele headlining on a saturday night :thumbup:

You know my opinion on what is the greatest Glasto...

blue matt
25-06-16, 22:10
You know my opinion on what is the greatest Glasto...

2011 ? ? ?

when bowling for soup played ? ? ?

adz-a32
25-06-16, 22:15
2011 ? ? ?

when bowling for soup played ? ? ?

Matt, did you get your burrito from Cali or Amsterdam? With paper instead of tortilla?

blue matt
25-06-16, 22:17
Matt, did you get your burrito from Cali or Amsterdam? With paper instead of tortilla?

go on then :thumbup:

ZZ Jack
25-06-16, 22:22
That so many of the next generation.....................................y one selfish narrow minded vote.

A majority of those who could be bothered to turn out voted to leave. They have been there for a long time and they have been ignored by the political elite, until they had a chance to have their voices heard. Its called democracy.

Don't worry, those who can afford to employ clever accountants will still be able to use tax havens to avoid paying taxes in the UK or EU. :thumbup:

adz-a32
25-06-16, 22:22
go on then :thumbup:

The guy who did the greatest Glasto set sometimes eats at Taco Bell, apparently. Shall we make him honorary member of the Burrito Gang, and rename it GOOD Burrito? :thumbup:

blue matt
25-06-16, 22:26
The guy who did the greatest Glasto set sometimes eats at Taco Bell, apparently. Shall we make him honorary member of the Burrito Gang, and rename it GOOD Burrito? :thumbup:

will he bring his board game with him ?? ?

I am not taking this serious enough am i ? ? ?

adz-a32
25-06-16, 22:29
will he bring his board game with him ?? ?

I am not taking this serious enough am i ? ? ?

**** the board game, he needs to bring his kicks (dw, some days he wears his Vans)

blue matt
25-06-16, 22:33
**** the board game, he needs to bring his kicks (dw, some days he wears his Vans)

after chatting about trainers last night on here ( on a US shopping discussion i managed to drop in i had been to disney :hehe: just incase one member didnt know :thumbup:) i dug out some more pairs of Vans, turns out i have too many pairs ( according to the wife )

ZZ Jack
25-06-16, 23:17
On the other hand our money will not go on stuff like this.
Last month, the European Parliament’s legal affairs committee published a draft report calling for the EU to vote on whether robots should be legally considered “electronic persons with specific rights and obligations.”

I know it's hard to believe but that's the sort of crap they waste money on. Can even the most devoted europhile justify that?