PDA

View Full Version : A decent warm-up for the World Cup

Wales-Bales
06-07-16, 21:14
It was a good run-out for the boys and a fantastic team-building exercise. We'll be in good shape for the big one in 2018.

Onwards and upwards :wales:

Colonel Cærdiffi
06-07-16, 21:16
Are you trying to jinx us?!?!

Zenith
06-07-16, 21:18
This team should look to start dominating games now, the England game was a big learning curve for us because it showed we can't sit back against the bigger teams in the world. If we take our game to the opposition like against Belgium we can hurt sides.

Moldova for example should be a 4 or 5-0 walkover for us, if we can start beating teams showing real quality, even with the lads who missed out we have everything to be excited for in 2 years time.

Can I just say I was gutted to see Church come on and not George Williams, I think he would have added that bit of zip and pace we needed.

Cleve van Leef
07-07-16, 08:15
This team should look to start dominating games now, the England game was a big learning curve for us because it showed we can't sit back against the bigger teams in the world. If we take our game to the opposition like against Belgium we can hurt sides.

Moldova for example should be a 4 or 5-0 walkover for us, if we can start beating teams showing real quality, even with the lads who missed out we have everything to be excited for in 2 years time.

Can I just say I was gutted to see Church come on and not George Williams, I think he would have added that bit of zip and pace we needed.

Moldova 4 or 5-0 win. Jeez talk about tempting providence.

Wales-Bales
07-07-16, 08:45

Yeah, how dare he dare to dream :hehe:

blue matt
07-07-16, 09:15
I was explaining to my girls that the world cup will be tough, we will be in the group with some really good teams

then i checked the group and we are one of them good teams, no longer in pot 4 or 5 :thumbup: that really hit home on how far we have come, of course a semi final shows that, but not being in pot 4 or 5 just hit it home

Rjk
07-07-16, 09:34
Belgium were tactically naive against us. Norn iron and Portugal showed that we still struggle to break down teams that defend deep against us.
Talk of us dominating games and winning 4 or 5 nil is very premature.
We got where we are playing a certain way, but also our weaknesses have been exposed. This qualifying campaign won't be a walkover.
It'll be a slog but hopefully we can get there again

Eric the Half a Bee
07-07-16, 09:38
Belgium were tactically naive against us. Norn iron and Portugal showed that we still struggle to break down teams that defend deep against us.
Talk of us dominating games and winning 4 or 5 nil is very premature.
We got where we are playing a certain way, but also our weaknesses have been exposed. This qualifying campaign won't be a walkover.
It'll be a slog but hopefully we can get there again

This I agree with.

Belgium and Russia were more open at the back than Katie Price and we filled our boots. Teams will be looking at our achievements and looking more at stopping us playing. We certainly shouldn't take qualification for granted.

Wales-Bales
07-07-16, 10:01
I was explaining to my girls that the world cup will be tough, we will be in the group with some really good teams

then i checked the group and we are one of them good teams, no longer in pot 4 or 5 :thumbup: that really hit home on how far we have come, of course a semi final shows that, but not being in pot 4 or 5 just hit it home
Yeah, we need to focus on maintaining our rankings, it helps a lot.

Des Parrot
07-07-16, 11:35

Moldova Euro qualifiers, w0 d2 L8 f4-16a they incredibly only conceded 16 in 10 games & never conceded more than 2 in a game. Austria & Sweden just beat them & they drew with Russia, yet have a ranking of 159th.

I'll take 2-0 thanks.

Rhiw-Blue
07-07-16, 11:48
The World Cup qualification hasn't been expanded to 24 for European teams either. Second place does not guarantee qualification or even a play off place. Much harder nqat

Croesy Blue
07-07-16, 12:21
Hope Tom Bradshaw gets a decent move and pushes himself to be a starter. Be nice to have some options.

Blue in the Face
07-07-16, 13:21
We're still a team that can't cope with too many key players missing. It's easy now to see that the Welsh staff had it right by us not playing loads of friendlies before the tournament.

Anyone who went to games in France can see that Bale was carrying an injury in his right calf. He did phenomenally well considering. He needs to get that sorted now because it's an injury that keeps coming back. I won't be surprised if he's not available for our opening qualifiers if he needs some kind of surgery.

But the sentiment of the OP is right. We are a different proposition post Euros. Better in every way. We have the ego to go and top that qualifying group which we have never had before. We also have a massive public interest for once which will help give the team further cause to go and achieve that goal.

:wales:

Des Parrot
07-07-16, 13:44
Anyone who went to games in France can see that Bale was carrying an injury in his right calf. He did phenomenally well considering. He needs to get that sorted now because it's an injury that keeps coming back. I won't be surprised if he's not available for our opening qualifiers if he needs some kind of surgery.

You can see the media headlines now, Ramsey & Bale out injured until September 4th, Barcelona* & Real fans anger ....

* or Arsenal

Zenith
05-09-16, 21:46

Sorry lads, I believe in this group of players and I'm glad I was proved correct this evening.

Wales-Bales
05-09-16, 22:17
Sorry lads, I believe in this group of players and I'm glad I was proved correct this evening.
Revenge is a dish best served cold :hehe:

surge
05-09-16, 22:28

I don't think you can say that about international football, especially when it was the first game in qualifiers. There will be a game further down the line where Moldova get absolutely smashed because they are a limited side and eventually they won't have anything to play for but first game is like first weekend in the premier league for a promoted side and you have to go out and complete a professional performance (as we did tonight), but expecting to complete a walkover is a whole different thing. The most important things we did (a clean sheet, multiple goals, no obvious injuries or suspensions) but the only thing we didn't was that 10-15 minutes spell where we could have killed them but allowed them a bit more of the ball...a more competitive game may have seen us trip up, but I guess a recovery period within the game can be beneficial in the long run.

Did Church play? I've got Emyr Huws, HRK and Collins as the subs.

TH63
05-09-16, 22:54
I don't think you can say that about international football, especially when it was the first game in qualifiers. There will be a game further down the line where Moldova get absolutely smashed because they are a limited side and eventually they won't have anything to play for but first game is like first weekend in the premier league for a promoted side and you have to go out and complete a professional performance (as we did tonight), but expecting to complete a walkover is a whole different thing. The most important things we did (a clean sheet, multiple goals, no obvious injuries or suspensions) but the only thing we didn't was that 10-15 minutes spell where we could have killed them but allowed them a bit more of the ball...a more competitive game may have seen us trip up, but I guess a recovery period within the game can be beneficial in the long run.

Correct.

It was a good result, but their keep was shocking. I was going to say he was the worst we're likely to see at the CCS this season, but........

Zenith
05-09-16, 23:14

This was a post from 2 months ago mate, I bumped it for a bit of a joke

surge
05-09-16, 23:21
This was a post from 2 months ago mate, I bumped it for a bit of a joke

I have whooshed.

Pearcey3
06-09-16, 19:26
Revenge is a dish best served cold :hehe:

😃 Crikey I bet Zenith was blowing Gareth over at the end to ensure that penalty.