PDA

View Full Version : Tory party leadership race

surge
07-07-16, 20:57
Weird to think that we left the EU due to part of it being unelected and now are going to have 4'ish years of an unelected PM, especially after the fuss that was kicked up when Gordon Brown tried it.

I guess the only question you have to ask is whether this is Cruz and Trump or Hilary and Trump - it certainly isn't '08 Obama or even '12 Obama.

May sounds like the sensible choice but her attacks on civil liberties time after time really suggests she isn't: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/07/theresa-may-britain-tory-candidate

life on mars
08-07-16, 00:00
Weird to think that we left the EU due to part of it being unelected and now are going to have 4'ish years of an unelected PM, especially after the fuss that was kicked up when Gordon Brown tried it.

I guess the only question you have to ask is whether this is Cruz and Trump or Hilary and Trump - it certainly isn't '08 Obama or even '12 Obama.

May sounds like the sensible choice but her attacks on civil liberties time after time really suggests she isn't: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/07/theresa-may-britain-tory-candidate

Well perhaps its time for a new broom, interestingly when we see a world seeking broader choices as their leaders , we see the Tories once again at the forefront of women's power , and Labour never really committing to that choice , one might argue "what liberty ?? ".

Mrs Steve R
08-07-16, 00:23
Well perhaps its time for a new broom, interestingly when we see a world seeking broader choices as their leaders , we see the Tories once again at the forefront of women's power , and Labour never really committing to that choice , one might argue "what liberty ?? ".
Women have liberty, perhaps none have been suitable in the past? I don't think they should hire women just because they are women.

Wales-Bales
08-07-16, 11:11
Both seem a bit loopy, please can we bring back Dodgy Dave? At least we know he's only lying when he speaks.

life on mars
08-07-16, 13:51
Women have liberty, perhaps none have been suitable in the past? I don't think they should hire women just because they are women.

In my experience their have been some very capable Labour dedicated women MP's , the party simply did not select them , strangely they probably had more than the Tories on pure head count over the years. :sherlock:

Mrs Steve R
08-07-16, 14:06
In my experience their have been some very capable Labour dedicated women MP's , the party simply did not select them , strangely they probably had more than the Tories on pure head count over the years. :sherlock:
If a man and a woman go for a job like that and have exactly the same qualifications and are both suitable which would you choose?

Vimana.
08-07-16, 21:22
If a man and a woman go for a job like that and have exactly the same qualifications and are both suitable which would you choose?

The one with the lovely big round t ..

Ooops.
No that's not right is it. Is it? .. no .. I was going to say qui .. ffs .. yes, qualifications .

Pheww .. I think I got away with that ..

life on mars
08-07-16, 21:23

A woman just for a refresh ,as the blokes have made a right pigs ear of it really

Vimana.
08-07-16, 21:27
A woman just for a refresh ,as the blokes have made a right pigs ear of it really

And pictures exist apparently.

Mrs Steve R
08-07-16, 22:17
The one with the lovely big round t ..

Ooops.
No that's not right is it. Is it? .. no .. I was going to say qui .. ffs .. yes, qualifications .

Pheww .. I think I got away with that ..
:hehe: If you take your mind off the boobs for a moment you will see I said they have exactly the same qualifications.

Out of interest, excluding your mum, how many women have you lived with?

Wales-Bales
09-07-16, 06:25
Both seem a bit loopy, please can we bring back Dodgy Dave? At least we know he's only lying when he speaks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36752865

Wales-Bales
09-07-16, 06:31
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/andrea-leadsom-linked-unmarried-couples-to-death-of-baby-p_uk_577b84a6e4b0f7b55795d2c4

life on mars
10-07-16, 19:28
And pictures exist apparently.

There will be none of that once our "Matron" May takes over , she believes in the injustice of animals , and these lurid conversations /suggestions will be taken down from social networking sites .

jon1959
11-07-16, 10:21
Theresa May's pitch is getting very interesting. She is the Tory establishment candidate and the one with experience, but she doesn't appear to be playing it as safe as she could:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36760953

Outlining her plans to reform corporate governance, she will hit out at the way non-executive directors who are supposed to provide oversight of the way firms are run often come from the same "narrow social and professional circles" as the executive team and "the scrutiny they provide is just not good enough".

She will say: "So if I'm prime minister, we're going to change that system - and we're going to have not just consumers represented on company boards, but workers as well."

Outlining some of the social issues she wants to address, Mrs May will say: "Right now, if you're born poor, you will die on average nine years earlier than others.

"If you're black, you're treated more harshly by the criminal justice system than if you're white. If you're a white, working-class boy, you're less likely than anybody else to go to university. If you're at a state school, you're less likely to reach the top professions than if you're educated privately.

"If you're a woman, you still earn less than a man. If you suffer from mental health problems, there's too often not enough help to hand. If you're young, you'll find it harder than ever before to own your own home."

She will say that "fighting these injustices is not enough", and add: "If you're from a working-class family, life is just much harder than many people in politics realise."

"These are the reasons why, under my leadership, the Conservative Party will put itself - completely, absolutely, unequivocally - at the service of working people," Mrs May will add.

Carry on like that an Len McCluskey will be campaigning for her!

Wales-Bales
11-07-16, 11:09
Seems like May is set to become PM without a grassroots vote. I love it when a plan comes together, this whole thing seems like an obvious setup, starting with May sitting on the fence during the referendum. What we are witnessing is the "Tory Plan B" that was formulated long before the referendum. Notice how conveniently all the Brexit campaigners fell by the wayside at key moments. It will be interesting to see what happens now.

The Alien
11-07-16, 11:37
Theresa May it is then http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36763208

itkman
11-07-16, 11:39
What is it with Brexiters an their total lack of stomach to deal with the mess they've made?

Wales-Bales
11-07-16, 11:52
Ledsome just announced she cant win it - she only has 25% of MP support, we dont need 2 months of political petty arguments and nonsense divisive debates (take note Labour) the country, business and just about everybody wants the Govt to get on with it.

Listening to Angela Eagles speak - her speech was more about uniting her party rather more inward looking - which I guess she has to given the circumstances
25% of MP support, but she was ahead with the grassroots supporters at local level, who are the ones who decide who is PM.

Incidentally, the local Conservative Associations don't like Theresa May much, hence they were never going to be allowed to vote on this issue.

Wales-Bales
11-07-16, 11:55
Theresa May vows to put Conservatives 'at service' of working people :hehe:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36760953

Wales-Bales
11-07-16, 12:19
What is it with Brexiters an their total lack of stomach to deal with the mess they've made?

It's all scripted mate, everybody is just playing their part :thumbup:

TH63
11-07-16, 12:48

I think it's a case of "Oh crap, we've won, I didn't see that happening, now what do we do? I know, let someone else sort it out"

Wales-Bales
11-07-16, 13:09
I think it's a case of "Oh crap, we've won, I didn't see that happening, now what do we do? I know, let someone else sort it out"

This may be what the Tory press and the BBC want you to believe, but the vast majority of people on Twitter and other social media aren't buying it, they are calling it for exactly what it is - a stitch-up.

Here is one of the more friendly viewpoints .. :-)

"Theresa May genuinely just won a leadership election by standing still and letting everyone else fall on the sword of their own ineptitude."

Wales-Bales
11-07-16, 13:13
Here is a conspiracy theory , Ledsome knows she cant win, so rather than annouce it this morning, she waits until May makes her first speech of the campaign - where she all things that Labour supporters want to here - tackling big business, corporation tax dodgers like Google, FaceBook etc , then May goes on to say that Brexit is Brexit and that is it - basically trying to win over all of the Ledsome supporters - then once May has done that - Ledsome announces ok - get on with - lets not waste any time.

If Ledsome had announced she wasnt going to contest first thing this morning then Theresa May would not have made that speech.

Meanwhile Angela Eagles seems to think she is more electable than Corbyn ...... so disappointed in Labour as an 'effective' opposition - Corbyb is effective as an opposition - but totally hopeless as a leader of his party.

Yet more crazy times from Westminster - meanwhile back in the WAG they are talking about the bus route closure from BrynMawr to Ebbw Vale.
Ledsome knows she cant win? The local Conservative Associations would have put her in power, and that is why it is not being allowed to happen. They are all in on it :thumbup:

itkman
11-07-16, 13:18
This may be what the Tory press and the BBC want you to believe, but the vast majority of people on Twitter and other social media aren't buying it, they are calling it for exactly what it is - a stitch-up.

Here is one of the more friendly viewpoints .. :-)

"Theresa May genuinely just won a leadership election by standing still and letting everyone else fall on the sword of their own ineptitude."

I'm not entirely sure they could've predicted the country voting 'Leave'.

Wales-Bales
11-07-16, 13:23
I'm not entirely sure they could've predicted the country voting 'Leave'.

I'm not talking about that, post-referendum the Brexiteers have been purposely falling on their swords, as per the Plan B :thumbup:

lardy
11-07-16, 14:42
Seems like May is set to become PM without a grassroots vote. I love it when a plan comes together, this whole thing seems like an obvious setup, starting with May sitting on the fence during the referendum. What we are witnessing is the "Tory Plan B" that was formulated long before the referendum. Notice how conveniently all the Brexit campaigners fell by the wayside at key moments. It will be interesting to see what happens now.

What will happen now is something. And, no matter what it is, you will then say it was scripted and obvious all along.

Mrs Steve R
11-07-16, 14:45
Out of interest, excluding your mum, how many women have you lived with?
Does it take this long to add them all up? :hehe:

Wales-Bales
11-07-16, 14:55
What will happen now is something. And, no matter what it is, you will then say it was scripted and obvious all along.

Here we go again, Professor Lardy speaks. No ideas of his own but plenty to say about others :hehe:

Whatever happens next, you can be sure that May needed to be the PM to make it happen, hence the excellent fence-sitting job she did during the referendum. When fighting a battle you don't send all of your troops in at once, you keep some in reserve.

Now I can see why you don't visit this half of the message board very much, because you are a bit thick. Stick to the football trivia section :thumbup:

BTW I've been saying all along that May and the Tories are up to something. Bye tosser :wave:

lardy
11-07-16, 15:05
Here we go again, Professor Lardy speaks. No ideas of his own but plenty to say about others :hehe:

Whatever happens next, you can be sure that May needed to be the PM to make it happen, hence the excellent fence-sitting job she did during the referendum. When fighting a battle you don't send all of your troops in at once, you keep some in reserve.

Now I can see why you don't visit this half of the message board very much, because you are a bit thick. Stick to the football trivia section :thumbup:

BTW I've been saying all along that May and the Tories are up to something. Bye tosser :wave:

Nice to see I can still get under your skin Gluey :thumbup:

I actually came back to partially defend what you're saying. The alternative to everything being scripted and part of the plan is that the people who are attempting to run the country have absolutely no clue what they're doing. It's probably a lot more reassuring to think that this is all supposed to happen.

I still find it hard to believe that someone like Boris would fall on his sword to help May become PM... :hehe:

Wales-Bales
11-07-16, 15:19
Lardy :hehe::thumbup:

I'm a fecking genius in hindsight , I predicted all of this to my mates last week down the dog and duck, and then come on here to tell people about it.

Do you think Brexit means Brexit?

Packerman
11-07-16, 15:40
Do you think Brexit means Brexit?

trouble is when your wrong you get selective memory loss :hehe:

Wales-Bales
11-07-16, 15:42
trouble is when your wrong you get selective memory loss :hehe:

Bloody hell, they are all here, it's like the Wynford on a Saturday night! :hehe:

Mrs Steve R
11-07-16, 16:02
Bloody hell, they are all here, it's like the Wynford on a Saturday night! :hehe:
Full of slappers? :shrug: :hehe:

Wales-Bales
11-07-16, 16:13
Full of slappers? :shrug: :hehe:

Shady characters that suddenly come out of nowhere when they are in need of something :hehe:

Wales-Bales
11-07-16, 17:44
Well Im sure of this - she wouldnt have made that speech if she knew that Lansome was about to say she would not run.

She said Brexit means Brexit - which of course means NOTHING. The answer to the question is :-

Brexit means stay in the single market and accept totally free movement of people
Brexit means come out completely and make our own rules up and then trade with the EU just like China, Australia, America, Japan etc
Brexit means - some combination of the above

So the question means nothing.

May had to make that speech regardless of Lansome, and really had no choice but play to the gallery. Even after she made that speech, social media was still full of negative comments about her.

Pearcey3
11-07-16, 17:54
This is the worst and most useless Government I can ever recall. Labour should have torn them to shreds.
I agree May would not have come out with her Brexit means Brexit remark if she knew Leadsom was quitting the race. As for Leadsom she is pathetic. Jeremy Corbyn has had a year of non stop hassle from the press / media. She can't cope it with it for a couple of days.

Mrs Steve R
11-07-16, 17:58
Shady characters that suddenly come out of nowhere when they are in need of something :hehe:
http://teststripz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/images.jpg

I know a few :hehe:

Mrs Steve R
11-07-16, 18:03
This is the worst and most useless Government I can ever recall. Labour should have torn them to shreds.
I agree May would not have come out with her Brexit means Brexit remark if she knew Leadsom was quitting the race. As for Leadsom she is pathetic. Jeremy Corbyn has had a year of non stop hassle from the press / media. She can't cope it with it for a couple of days.
Hence why I was asking about the suitability of women in those positions but nobody bit, I fear May might have a hot flush and have us all shot. :hehe:

Wales-Bales
11-07-16, 19:07
http://teststripz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/images.jpg

I know a few :hehe:

Well they certainly weren't here to discuss the Tory party leadership race :hehe:

Wales-Bales
11-07-16, 19:11

May's problem was not Leadsom, the elephant in the room is the 52% of the electorate that voted Brexit. and are getting very impatient on social media platforms. The Brexit means Brexit comment was aimed at them, absolutely nothing to do with Leadsom.

Pearcey3
11-07-16, 19:31
No I disagree. This was all about appealing to the 150,000 Tory members. Apparently the Tory membership was 50/50 between May and Leadsom. May was trying to reach out to them especially as the party members are usually elderly and pro Brexit.
She had to try and win some of these members from Leadsom.

Wales-Bales
11-07-16, 19:57
No I disagree. This was all about appealing to the 150,000 Tory members. Apparently the Tory membership was 50/50 between May and Leadsom. May was trying to reach out to them especially as the party members are usually elderly and pro Brexit.
She had to try and win some of these members from Leadsom.

Exactly what I just said the elephant in the room is the 52% of the electorate that voted Brexit! And Leadsom would have won a vote by the local associations purely on the grounds that May is widely disliked at the grassroots level.

Mrs Steve R
11-07-16, 21:08
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s526x395/13626333_10207061425559410_1274812210507249725_n.j pg?oh=83398beb4c28ee034d36b7148bbc76e8&oe=582BDD7E

Wales-Bales
11-07-16, 21:52
I hate to break it to you but 'social media' aint the law bruv

To cut a long story short, there was no fecking way that the plebs were going to have a say in which PM was going to be in charge of the Brexit.

It was already decided months ago, it would either be Cameron, or May as a contingency.

jon1959
12-07-16, 09:13

Exactly.

This forum seems to be the home of conspiracy theorists now - but if there's a choice of explanation between 'cock up' and 'conspiracy' the answer (in my experience) is nearly always 'cock up'.

The Brexiteers didn't expect to win, had no plan, didn't want to be responsible for the mess, and ran away.

Wales-Bales
12-07-16, 09:28
Exactly.

This forum seems to be the home of conspiracy theorists now - but if there's a choice of explanation between 'cock up' and 'conspiracy' the answer (in my experience) is nearly always 'cock up'.

The Brexiteers didn't expect to win, had no plan, didn't want to be responsible for the mess, and ran away.

I agree the Brexiteers didn't expect to win, but I disagree that they didn't have a plan, when it is so obvious that they did.

It is well recognized that people who absorb everything the press and BBC throw at them suffer from cognitive dissonance, and quite frankly you'd have to be an idiot to believe the Tories didn't have a Plan B, given that the polls were so close.

lardy
12-07-16, 09:40
I agree the Brexiteers didn't expect to win, but I disagree that they didn't have a plan, when it is so obvious that they did.

It is well recognized that people who absorb everything the press and BBC throw at them suffer from cognitive dissonance, and quite frankly you'd have to be an idiot to believe the Tories didn't have a Plan B, given that the polls were so close.

Just to be clear, you're saying that everything that has happened in the last month or so was their Plan B?

Wales-Bales
12-07-16, 10:00
Just to be clear, you're saying that everything that has happened in the last month or so was their Plan B?

Yep, it's clear that the person who went walkabouts during the referendum was going to be PM in the case of a Brexit vote. Furthermore, she would have to do it without facing the local Conservative Associations, due to her unpopularity at the grassroots level.

Why such a series of events? Just watch what happens next :hehe:

Wales-Bales
12-07-16, 12:27
If your conspiracy theory is true - at least we can be safe in the knowledge that at least someone had a contingency should the referendum be lost. And that contingency was put in place, HOWEVER - I dont think the 'shadowy characters' could manage to get the whole tory party signed up to this and for them all to keep quiet about or no one find out about it.

Iain Duncan Smith yesterday - if you saw the look on his face - he was spitting feathers when Leadsome made that speech. So a contingency plan it may have been , but I dont believe for 1 second it was a plan form the start.
conspiracy theory? :hehe:

Organ Morgan.
12-07-16, 19:03
Exactly.

I doubt whether anyone would describe Denis Healey as a conspiracy nutcase. Here's what he wrote: 'World events do not occur by accident. They are made to happen, whether it is to do with national issues or commerce; and most of them are staged and managed by those who hold the purse strings.' As he was a co-founder of the Bilderberg Group, one might say he was extremely well informed.

George Carlin was even more blunt - “Forget the politicians. The politicians are put there to give you the idea you have freedom of choice. You don't. You have no choice. You have owners. They own you."

He was talking of the USA but the same applies here. Those remarks were made in this five-minute video, The American Dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ4SSvVbhLw

Wales-Bales
12-07-16, 21:08
I doubt whether anyone would describe Denis Healey as a conspiracy nutcase. Here's what he wrote: 'World events do not occur by accident. They are made to happen, whether it is to do with national issues or commerce; and most of them are staged and managed by those who hold the purse strings.' As he was a co-founder of the Bilderberg Group, one might say he was extremely well informed.

George Carlin was even more blunt - “Forget the politicians. The politicians are put there to give you the idea you have freedom of choice. You don't. You have no choice. You have owners. They own you."

He was talking of the USA but the same applies here. Those remarks were made in this five-minute video, The American Dream

So true, critical thinking is essential to make sense of the world. There is so much literature available regarding control techniques that people could easily educate themselves. Maybe then their thoughts wouldn't mirror those of the BBC and other well known media corporations.

the other bob wilson
13-07-16, 05:55
"This is the worst and most useless Government I can ever recall"

Are you seriously telling us you cant recall other 'useless' Govts ? - are you 16 years old ? :biggrin:

I'm sixty not sixteen and I can remember some useless Governments, but I can't remember a more useless one than this one. They've made a complete and utterly balls up of running the country in the last year and yet, at the moment, it's looking as if they can expect to be in Government for a spell which could be as long as the eighteen years they had when they were last in power - truly incredible, and more proof of the old "don't be good, be lucky" adage.

the other bob wilson
13-07-16, 06:33
Exactly.

This has been just about the biggest political cock up of my lifetime. We only had a referendum in the first place because Cameron believed he could get a result which would give his party s few years respite from the divisions over Europe which had plagued it for decades. He and his fellow remainers then gave an electorate crying out to be given the factual information they lacked a series of truly ludicrous claims about the consequences of a leave vote, while the leave side, essentially, just kept on banging on about immigration - the results were predictable.

The one serious contender to take over from Cameron on the remain side (Gideon) had already virtually ruled himself out of contention with schoolboy political errors which forced him into an embarrassing climbdowns on tax credit and disability benefits cuts, but the rubbish he came out with during the campaign truly cooked his goose. So, the path was clear for the new Prime Minister to come from one of the high profile figures who "masterminded" the win for the Leave team, but, what did we get instead? A series of decisions and reactions, which would have been hilarious if the consequences of them were not so serious, that managed to rule them all out of contention.

So, now we are left with someone who is said to be "a safe pair of hands" in charge when the truth is that she's just about the only realistic candidate left who hasn't made a complete fool of themselves..........yet!

Of course, this safe pair of hands is not fully trusted by the EU obsessed head bangers on the tory right, so, in a way, the Conservative Party are back where they were with Cameron in charge and the country have been put through a very divisive and bitter few months which will have a huge influence on who and what we become for nothing. The old wounds are still there (in fact they're worse now than they were), the UK could well break up and the official opposition is tearing itself to pieces - oh yes, this was a cock up and a spectacular one at that.

the other bob wilson
13-07-16, 09:15
Bob did you miss the Iraq war, tuition fees, reckless spending by Gordon Brown, the Thatcher years, the 3 day week with everyone on strike every other week, maybe you missed the 'End of Boom and Bust' as well.

UK Govts can easilly be summed up as follows -
Boom - Bust - Tax and spend - fix the damage get voted out - then rinse and repeat

As I said, I've seen useless Governments before (tuition fees were the single thing which got me to change my vote from Labour for the first time in my life in 2001 and the Major Government from 1992-97 didn't have much going for it), but I've not seen anything to rival the last few months - other parties have played their part in creating the current shambles, but it's been mainly down to the tories who, amazingly, are still the closest thing we have to a "natural party of Government" these days.

jon1959
17-07-16, 07:30
If we had as much social media and easy communication back in the 1970's - I think we would have remembered those times with much greater clarity.

I agree though "multi omni shambles" at the moment - a perfect storm of shit in all directions

Sometimes a single new word captures an event or moment perfectly.

'Omnishambles' was one of the best.

The one I saw last week was even better: 'clusterf**k'! That is what happened to the UK, the EU and beyond.