View Full Version : New striker Fred could surprise us

Lawnmower
09-07-16, 15:21
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/just-who-frederic-gounongbe-everything-11554490

Quite a bit here to give us hope.
Good physical attributes and excellent scoring record at a struggling club.

Late starter so should still have a bit of ambition in him.

If we are chasing a game we could be a massive areal threat if Zohore is brought on alongside this lad.

thehumblegringo
09-07-16, 15:51
I hope he's decent mate and I truly hope we've learned from the mistakes of the last few years.
We have spent good money on forwards who have hardly played a game!

I like the addition of Immers and I think Zohore can definitely add something to the squad but I think we need some pace and a 1 or 2 players who can unlock a defence.

Johnny Williams could settle well under Trollope.

I hope we don't sign players in positions that would block the pathway for promising players coming through. I think Coxe, Tutonda and Abbruzzese (all full backs) are very promising and I think we have two good central midfielders in Humphries and Patten who are worth a shot in the squad.

Armitage Shanks
09-07-16, 15:54
I thought we signed a brazilian international then 😣

Lawnmower
09-07-16, 16:08
I thought we signed a brazilian international then 😣

Nah, the Brazilian one is useless 😉

Lawnmower
09-07-16, 16:15
I hope he's decent mate and I truly hope we've learned from the mistakes of the last few years.
We have spent good money on forwards who have hardly played a game!

I like the addition of Immers and I think Zohore can definitely add something to the squad but I think we need some pace and a 1 or 2 players who can unlock a defence.

Johnny Williams could settle well under Trollope.

I hope we don't sign players in positions that would block the pathway for promising players coming through. I think Coxe, Tutonda and Abbruzzese (all full backs) are very promising and I think we have two good central midfielders in Humphries and Patten who are worth a shot in the squad.

Are any of those really up to it at Championship level.. Also what about Bird and the 16 year old lad Rabbi Matondo, he's meant to be the next big thing ? maybe O'Sullivan, it's shit or bust for him now

Apparently there's 2-3 in last year's U15s who are destined for big things, so you might get your wish in a year or 2.

Chris Pontprennau Blues
09-07-16, 16:16
Having seen his goal montage, he looks to me like a poor man's Jay Bothroyd - prove me wrong Fred, good luck

mike downtownabbey
09-07-16, 17:15
Nah, the Brazilian one is useless ��
he has a brazilian. any differnce!

thehumblegringo
09-07-16, 17:55
Are any of those really up to it at Championship level.. Also what about Bird and the 16 year old lad Rabbi Matondo, he's meant to be the next big thing ? maybe O'Sullivan, it's shit or bust for him now

Apparently there's 2-3 in last year's U15s who are destined for big things, so you might get your wish in a year or 2.

I always find it difficult talking about kids like this cos I don't want to bruise their confidence before they've even started.

My personal view (which counts for very little) is that when I first saw Tommy O'Sullivan play a few years back he was someone with the vision to make things happen and could pick out a defence splitting passes, however having watched him in recent years he seems to have changed his game where the very thing that made him a prospect has been coached out of him in favour of ball retention stats etc.

I don't think Jamie Bird is ready to step this season and I hope he keeps his head down and works hard to nurture his talent.

Spence and Matondo are exceptional and I really expect big things from these two, and as you'll be aware they've been subject to serious approaches from Man City. However I believe they're still 15 (maybe 16 now) but too young to make a real impact on the first team this season.

Lawnmower
09-07-16, 17:58
I always find it difficult talking about kids like this cos I don't want to bruise their confidence before they've even started.

My personal view (which counts for very little) is that when I first saw Tommy O'Sullivan play a few years back he was someone with the vision to make things happen and could pick out a defence splitting passes, however having watched him in recent years he seems to have changed his game where the very thing that made him a prospect has been coached out of him in favour of ball retention stats etc.

I don't think Jamie Bird is ready to step this season and I hope he keeps his head down and works hard to nurture his talent.

Spence and Matondo are exceptional and I really expect big things from these two, and as you'll be aware they've been subject to serious approaches from Man City. However I believe they're still 15 (maybe 16 now) but too young to make a real impact on the first team this season.

Cheers. Rambo was only 16 when he was thrown in so maybe later in the season for them ?

Blue in the Face
09-07-16, 18:23

I think Gringo's list is made up of the same names I would go for (from what I've seen in CCFCPlayer). I think Humphries needs more games at DVP level first maybe. I would also add Rollin Manayese. But again needs more DVP time. Until they've played pro games I suppose all this is just conjecture. I wouldn't want to hype anyone younger, even if Matondo does look a talent.

I know lots have written off Tommy O'Sullivan and he didn't tear up any trees at a struggling Newport, but he still has potential for me. He has shown much more ability than academy graduates Aaron Wildig or Aaron Morris did at his age. (Though maybe not as much as the other Aaron). I feel he needed to have been loaned out earlier possibly? As most of what is lacking in his game he can learn from playing league football. I didn't see him play for Newport, but from what I've seen perhaps the noticeable thing he needs to improve is his speed of decision making? Another loan to the lower leagues will do him good. Wherever he is, he needs to get 35+ games next season.

Blue in the Face
09-07-16, 18:28

Is Spence the Dark haired kid who plays for the academy? There's a player who plays in perhaps the no.10 role who seems to have a lot of ability from vids that I've seen...

Tandy
09-07-16, 18:42
I hope we don't sign players in positions that would block the pathway for promising players coming through.

:facepalm: You couldn't make it up.

thehumblegringo
09-07-16, 18:43
I think Gringo's list is made up of the same names I would go for (from what I've seen in CCFCPlayer). I think Humphries needs more games at DVP level first maybe. I would also add Rollin Manayese. But again needs more DVP time. Until they've played pro games I suppose all this is just conjecture. I wouldn't want to hype anyone younger, even if Matondo does look a talent.

I know lots have written off Tommy O'Sullivan and he didn't tear up any trees at a struggling Newport, but he still has potential for me. He has shown much more ability than academy graduates Aaron Wildig or Aaron Morris did at his age. (Though maybe not as much as the other Aaron). I feel he needed to have been loaned out earlier possibly? As most of what is lacking in his game he can learn from playing league football. I didn't see him play for Newport, but from what I've seen perhaps the noticeable thing he needs to improve is his speed of decision making? Another loan to the lower leagues will do him good. Wherever he is, he needs to get 35+ games next season.

Is Spence the Dark haired kid who plays for the academy? There's a player who plays in perhaps the no.10 role who seems to have a lot of ability from vids that I've seen...

I think you may be on about Jamie Bird mate. Spence is younger. He's not blessed with blistering pace like Matondo but he's an excellent footballer, who finds pockets of space and makes things happen.

Blue in the Face
10-07-16, 13:32
I think you may be on about Jamie Bird mate. Spence is younger. He's not blessed with blistering pace like Matondo but he's an excellent footballer, who finds pockets of space and makes things happen.

Yes that's him. Thanks Gringo

Blue in the Face
23-08-16, 11:59
One goal could change Fred's fortunes...

http://insidecardiffcity.co.uk/why-one-goal-could-change-gounongbes-fortunes/?

I notice that these insidecardiffcity articles don't copy and paste. Probably to stop you know who doing exactly that to every single one that's published. :hehe:

Agree with the sentiment of the article. The more I see of Fred, the more he's winning me over. He has decent all round technique, his movement looks good and I think he shows great desire and aggression (though hopefully not too much of the later).

I'm not saying he should be the main man, but he's looking like a good free signing I feel and having come from a small club, I'm sure he's on very low wages.