PDA

View Full Version : Golf at the Olympics.

the other bob wilson
13-07-16, 15:05
Not sure what it's doing there in the first place, but it seems that the best male golfers in the world are not in a hurry to compete. Their choice of course, but, judging by some of the recent comments I've read, it seems that some of them want to run the event down as well - I don't blame this squash player one bit for telling Rory McIlroy a few home truths;-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/36781258

blue matt
13-07-16, 15:08
saw something on TV the other day, 2 Golfers blaming the threat of the zika virus

they looked guilty as hell about just trying to blag it

lardy
13-07-16, 15:28
Looks like she's taking her frustration out on McIlroy. I thought his comments were fair enough and there's no good reason for golf to be an Olympic sport.

For me, to be an Olympic sport, the Olympic gold should be the pinnacle. That would mean no tennis, golf or football and i don't think for a second the Olympics would suffer.

Hilts
13-07-16, 15:53
Times change. Boring hearing on the radio about so and so sport isnt an Olympic sport. Tennis was in the 1st games and Football in the 2nd.

If theres an audience for it and people want to compete then let them.

At least with a golfer if he wins the gold youll be more or less guaranteed it wont be because hes not pumped full of performance enhancing drugs.

Years down the line the gold at the Olympics could be as big as a major in golf or Tennis.

Think virtually all the top women golfers will be there.

Only sport I have a issue with his boxing and allowing in pro - boxers. Thats different someone could get seriously hurt.

lardy
13-07-16, 16:01
Times change. Boring hearing on the radio about so and so sport isnt an Olympic sport. Tennis was in the 1st games and Football in the 2nd.

At least with a golfer if he wins the gold youll be more or less guaranteed it wont be because hes not pumped full of performance enhancing drugs.

Years down the line the gold at the Olympics could be as big as a major in golf or Tennis.

Only sport I have a issue with his boxing and allowing in pro - boxers. Thats different someone could get seriously hurt.

The first Olympics took place before Grand Slams and the World Cup so for me it's not a strong argument.

Also I'm not so sure about golf being drug free. In the same interview, McIlroy says he's rarely tested.

kingbillyboy
13-07-16, 16:03
The first Olympics took place before Grand Slams and the World Cup so for me it's not a strong argument.

Also I'm not so sure about golf being drug free. In the same interview, McIlroy says he's rarely tested.

how would any drug help you play golf? its not really a proper sport.

lardy
13-07-16, 16:04
Out of interest, as we're all football fans, could anyone name the men's gold medal winners from London? It came back to me after I googled it but if I hadn't had an interest because of GB I would definitely not have known.

lardy
13-07-16, 16:05
how would any drug help you play golf? its not really a proper sport.

Hitting the ball further perhaps?

Hilts
13-07-16, 16:13
Hitting the ball further perhaps?

Very much doubt a golfer would turn to roids hit the ball further. Change to body shape if anything could have the opposite effect.

lardy
13-07-16, 16:16
Very much doubt a golfer would turn to roids hit the ball further. Change to body shape if anything could have the opposite effect.

Doesn't have to be steroids to become buff. Other performance enhancing drugs are available.

Hilts
13-07-16, 16:31
Doesn't have to be steroids to become buff. Other performance enhancing drugs are available.

Yeah true. But where I can see why they would help sprinters, egg players , cyclists to name a few i just dont see how PHDs would have any great benefit to a golfer.

They all hit it big distances anyway with todays equipment. Plus hit it further off target and you are in bigger trouble.

After the 1st shot how far you hit it doesnt really come into it.

jon1959
13-07-16, 16:47

Same here.

Time to revive a few more of the 'original' Modern Olympic Games events/sports, like Tug Of War and Poodle Clipping Against The Clock. :thumbup:

TH63
13-07-16, 16:52
First off, I don't believe Golf should be an Olympic sport, secondly I don't believe that multi millionaires should be competing in the olympics.

For many sports, the olympics is the pinnacle of achievement. In golf it isn't.
Golfers are measured by major titles and in terms of team golf the Ryder Cup.

Why the hell would these guys risk their health and their families' health for a medal which to them is meaningless?

When Rory was starting his career I can pretty much guarantee he wasn't dreaming about competing in the olympics.
He didn't ask for golf to be included, he didn't ask to be considered for the team, if he declines an invitation that's his call.

Taunton Blue Genie
13-07-16, 16:58
First off, I don't believe Golf should be an Olympic sport, secondly I don't believe that multi millionaires should be competing in the olympics.

Why the hell would these guys risk their health and their families' health for a medal which to them is meaningless?

When Rory was starting his career I can pretty much guarantee he wasn't dreaming about competing in the olympics.
He didn't ask for golf to be included, he didn't ask to be considered for the team, if he declines an invitation that's his call.

We should start a petition...

Hilts
13-07-16, 17:15

Ive got no problem with McIlroy not competing. Personally if it means I get the option of watching golf or football rather than sailing , shooting or canoeing then great.

As for multi millionaires not competing I would have thought that would make the 100 metres less interesting for starters.

BLUETIT
13-07-16, 17:28
What about darts, that's what I say.

Hilts
13-07-16, 17:35

Now your talking.

:ayatollah:

As long as they dont replace the beach volleyball.

jamieccfc
13-07-16, 17:53
Don't see what he said wrong TBH all those golfers have grown up wanting to win majors not gold medals

bobh
13-07-16, 18:14

Add to that snooker and billiards.

How about poker, crib, bridge?

lardy
13-07-16, 18:58
Yeah true. But where I can see why they would help sprinters, egg players , cyclists to name a few i just dont see how PHDs would have any great benefit to a golfer.

They all hit it big distances anyway with todays equipment. Plus hit it further off target and you are in bigger trouble.

After the 1st shot how far you hit it doesnt really come into it.

It doesn't have to be a big benefit. Maybe a player just needs help focusing his mind or relieving fatigue.

Badly Ironed Shirt
14-07-16, 20:11
Looks like she's taking her frustration out on McIlroy. I thought his comments were fair enough and there's no good reason for golf to be an Olympic sport.

For me, to be an Olympic sport, the Olympic gold should be the pinnacle. That would mean no tennis, golf or football and i don't think for a second the Olympics would suffer.

Well said.

mazadona10
14-07-16, 21:04
If they are having it I think they should change format into a team game rather than just individual stroke play. Make it a bit different